BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Ahhhhh, I don't know what to do????
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: Ahhhhh, I don't know what to do????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4060) on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 8:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How am we going to get to Bonaire August 13 from Boston???

I know all the options and don't like any of them. We despise the AA schedule, we don't trust AJ (even though we are flying on Saturdays), and the Aruba/Curacao routes are a lot of money and not great schedules. The best option right now is a GWV charter to Aruba and Bonaire Excel over, it leaves us four hours on Aruba but runs about $800 per. We can save $200 by bouncing around all day on AA to Aruba. I'm open for suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1935) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 8:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cecil,

I just found round trip airfare on Delta August 13- August 21, BOS - AUA for $399.00 plus tax.
Add the $160.00 approx for BE and I think it is a pretty good rate. Found it on Travelocity.

Where are you staying?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john merriner (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom,

Is it an actual Delta flight with their airplane or another carrier? I ask because I hear that AJ flys some routes under Delta. The rate sounds good, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ doesn't go to Aruba, so this is probably true Delta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1936) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, I am not sure, I just checked Delta's web site and found tickets, same days, including taxes/fees for $394.42.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1937) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Sue, I got distracted for a bit and when I finished the post you had posted.

There ya go Cecil:-{)}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #493) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

But the question for you Tom is ... were you just looking or will you be in Bonaire on those August dates??? If you are we will overlap a bit which would be fun! Sue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1938) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 10:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, I was just looking for Cecil. Smack and I are heading back in October.

Grab Mark and your shorties, the lake was a balmy 66 degrees in front of our camp yesterday. Okay, I admit it, that reading was on the surface only....brrrrrrrr!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4062) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know where you were looking Tom, but every time I looked on Delta it was >$600 to Aruba. I did find a flight on US Air/Scare for $368 which is probably what we'll do.

We are going to be staying at Eden Beach which was a great deal and I hear tell a nice place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1939) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Buddy, I went to http://www.delta.com/home/index.jsp typed in bos to aua leaving on the 13th returning on the 21st checked "deeply discounted" in the "cabin fare" box and presto there it was. Just did it again, same results.

You will enjoy Eden Beach, it is a very nice place. Of course I am biased because my favorite dive operation is located there;-{)} Even though we are not staying there in October, we plan on diving through WDB, if they will have us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise Kacavas (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1025) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am green with envy :-) wishing I was going in October !!!! Tom, did you see Patty's email picture of the new baby (sorry - that is off topic of this thread) - what a doll, he looks so big!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1940) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 2:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Denise, Ayup and ayup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4064) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, pulled the trigger. You know the airline tickets are just a little less than the room/diving/car rental. UFB. Lets hope that Houston/Continental connection happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4065) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 3:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Tom, I never did find those Delta prices you mentioned. One problem is we are returning on the 20th, the 21st may be cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1941) on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 3:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is good Cecil, I believe there was a Sunday return involved to get the prices I found. I actually hope the Ft Lauderdale connection happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald E. Niles, Sr. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are going in October, and have elected to fly AA from BOS thru Miami to Curacao - then get to Bonaire on Divi Divi. The AA rate was - I dunno, about $640 ea round trip. Divi Divi is another $40 per person each way, and of course an added airport tax, as we will formally "arrive" to Curacao, and then "depart" again instead of just passing through the transit lounge. We like the schedule, which has us leaving BOS at 0600 on a Saturday, arriving CUR at 1400. We booked the 1530 DiviDivi flight, by e-mail. We should be at Sorobon by Happy Hour! Going home, our AA flight off CUR is at mid-afternoon on a Sunday, so we will have time for one last Lac Bay reef snorkel in the morning before hopping DiviDivi at 1145 to CUR. This should assure making the checkin on time for AA. We arrive in Boston at about a million o'clock - well, after 2300 - which has us home in southern RI after 0100. Ew. With any luck, can have the next day off from work!

It took a few days before our e-mail to DiviDivi was answered, but once she got to it Danielle was very helpful, offering us the flight times and making the reservation.

Some folks may be hesitant to fly in the smaller planes, but I love them - I fly for New England Airlines, which uses the same aircraft model to hop between islands up here! Britten Norman Islanders can be a tad noisy (I'll bring earplugs), and you won't be roaming about the cabin. But if ya can't sit still for 30 minutes... well... And it is one of the simplest, safest passenger planes around. Everybody gets a window seat ;-)

The reservation system for DiviDivi is casual - just tell Danielle when you want to go, and how many in the party - and buy the tix when you get there. That might make some folks nervous, preferring to have tickets in hand - but NEA works the same way, so we are used to it.

This is an opportunity to pack more lightly, although DiviDivi will try to accommodate your stuff. It is wise to avoid enormous, inflexible baggage.

This will be our 8th trip to Bonaire. We had been concerned about getting there, but I am comfortable with what we have elected to do. I am quite looking forward to it! - Regards, Sandy (Don's wife)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1950) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 7:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sandy and Don, Welcome to Bonaire Talk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4080) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 1:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to the board, my tickets came in at $370 to Aruba and another $198 to Bonaire. We also get a few hours in Aruba coming and going. Not a bad route and much better than the AA schedule through San Juan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1957) on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 7:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, that total is incredible. I too do not care for the AA through San Juan connection. For some it works well, unfortunately out of BTV, U.S. Air/Scare is usually involved. I have had several trips where clients missed connections, in one case we overshot Puerto Rico completely. In the latter case we did get to visit St. Thomas for a night;-{)} On that particular trip, we discovered Bonaire Excel.

I miss ALM. On every trip we booked using them, we got to Bonaire, many times within a few hours of our scheduled arrival, never lost a bag either:-{)} Then again, others on this board had terrible experiences with that airline.

No airline is perfect, I guess.

See you in Bow:-{)}

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration