BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Bonaire Excel Connections from Aruba
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: Bonaire Excel Connections from Aruba
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J R Phillips (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 6:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are flying into Aruba on American Airlines and then to Bonaire on Excel. How does this work? Do we need to get our bags in Aruba, go through customs and then recheck to Bonaire? If so, is this a user friendly process or a pain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #745) on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 7:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

your analysis is correct...it is not a user friendly process...what time are you arriving in Aruba and which BE flight are you taking. It could take 2 hrs depending on when you arrive...if you have a tight connection, get a paper ticket in the US for the BE flight....the ticket agent in Aruba only works at two speeds...you can get a paper ticket from Larry at www.worlddive.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 7:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is what I posted following my return from Bonaire via Aruba in early May:

Just returned from Bonaire trip 13, flying BonairExpress through Aruba this time, and here are my observations and recommendations.

(1) BE is easy and convenient to use, just realize they operate a little differently from the mainline U.S. carriers. [Our Aruba – Bonaire flight was right on time, and our Bonaire – Aruba flight was about 30 minutes late due to a shortage of ground personnel on Bonaire to handle baggage for both the 11 AM BON – CUR and 11 AM BON – AUA flights. However, unless you are cutting your Aruba connection close (not a wise thing to do because of the crowds in Aruba), 30 minutes late is not an issue. BE baggage delivery in Aruba was very quick, arriving within 2 – 3 minutes of when we got to the baggage area.]

(2) Upon arrival from the U.S., you must retrieve your bags and clear Aruba Customs/Immigration and then check in for BE. Exit Aruba’s Customs/Immigration building, turn right and stop at the kiosks between it and the next large building to pick up your BE tickets.

(3) The ONLY form of payment BE accepts on Aruba is cash. No travelers checks! No credit cards! If you need it, there is an ATM machine between the Customs Building and BE’s kiosk. (On Bonaire, BE said they do accept credit cards, although I am not sure if that includes American Express – just don’t recall their logo in the window.)

(4) Be sure to let the ticket writer know you are in transit and have not stayed overnight in Aruba. This significantly reduces the taxes on the ticket (about $74 for 2 people). Save your boarding pass from your inbound flight from the U.S., as BE may ask to see it to ensure you just arrived. (Also write "In transit to/from BON" on your Aruban immigration card.)

(5) Check-in for the 5:00 PM flight to Bonaire is not allowed until 3:30 PM (although I recall others saying on BT that you could check in immediately). If you are not able to check in immediately after you first arrive in Aruba and have purchased your BE tickets, find a seat in the air-conditioned arrivals area just outside Customs and have a bite to eat while you wait.

(6) Check-in on Bonaire is a snap. Just need to be there 1 hour before your flight and through security 30 minutes before departure.

(7) BE announcements in Aruba were in English. BE announcements in the Bonaire departure lounge appeared to be only in Papiamentu, but if you listen carefully, you can hear the word Aruba or Curacao. Just watch for the gate agent in the blue and orange outfit, and ask questions if uncertain.

(8) BE's airplanes are clean and reasonably comfortable, especially since it is only a 30 – 40 minute flight.

(9) Everyone from BE with whom we dealt was professional and courteous.

(10) Relax, enjoy and have a great trip. Definitely an alternative way to Bonaire, although perhaps a little longer travel time because of the waits in Aruba.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #197) on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 9:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

11) Confirm your BON to AUA flight the day before to make sure it hasn't been cancelled/changed. They seem to cancel the 11am flight sometimes.

I think I prefer this route to any others right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By janet white (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am ready to GIVE UP trying to get to Bonaire but I found a straight flight from Charlotte to Aruba and need to make the Aruba to Bonaire connection. Is the flight $200 RT? Are there weight limits?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #79) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I recall paying $156 per person round trip AUA - BON, complete. Make sure BE knows you are only "in-transit" through Aruba and that you are not staying overnight. Write it on your Aruban immigration card also. Otherwise it will cost about $200 per person, roundtrip. Remember to bring enough cash to pay for your tickets - on Aruba, only cash is acceptable. Not traveler's checks and not credit cards. If you forget, there is an ATM machine nearby, but it costs $8.00 US for that transaction. Alternatively, follow Gregg's suggestion for purchasing a paper ticket ahead of time.

BE's weight limits are 20 kg (44 pounds) per person total (supposedly including carry-on bags) unless you are a diver, where you are allowed an extra 10 kg (22 pounds) per person. You need to advise BE when making the reservations that you are divers to take advantage of the extra 10 kg. Overweight charges are 10 NAF (about $6) for the first 15kg and 10 NAF (again $6) for the next 10 kg.

Suggest reading (or re-reading) my post earlier in this thread, as well as Ken's post that immediately follows mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #761) on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 7:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Janet,

if you are getting into Aruba on the USAir flight, I highly recommend getting your paper ticket from Larry www.worlddive.com ....you have a decent chance of catching the 5:00 flt....without the ticket in hand, you probably won't be able to make the flight and you will have to wait 4-5 hrs for the next flight

as Dr D says, make sure you tell the check in people that you are transient or they will try to charge you the exit tax

good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4094) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK I will be doing this trick in a few weeks. My US Air flight arrives at noon and I will have paper tickets for the 5:00 PM BE flight to Bonaire. Does anyone know if they will take my checked bags early?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By janet white (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did it! - thanks to all of the posts - I booked my flight from charlotte to Aruba (straight flight - 4 hours) and Louise at HHH in Bonaire booked my Aruba - Bonaire connection. She said the flight was $170 per person. I checked on paper ticket in US it is $238?? do you think it is a $136 gamble? I'll have to report if I make it or not. Anyway - I am coming to BONAIRE... counting the days! Thanks everybody

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #80) on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 8:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil,

When my wife and I flew BE (AUA - BON) on April 30, we could not check in or check our bags until 3:30 for the 5:00 flight.

Don't know if things have changed.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration