BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Efforts for new US-Bonaire direct service
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: Efforts for new US-Bonaire direct service
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2060) on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 2:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Bonaire Reporter at http://www.bonairereporter.com/ has articles about current work to improve US-Bonaire air service. In short form:

A group of Bonaire officials are talking to Continental and Delta about direct flights to Bonaire though no agreements have been reached. One possibility mentioned is an extension of Continental's service to Curacao.

In addition, 4 Bonaire resorts are reported to have joined in an effort to arrange non-stop Bonaire-Ft. Lauderdale service. There would be one return flight each Saturday using a 183 seat 737. Seat priority would go first to the 4 resorts and their partner travel agents.

A third item talks about US-based Spirit Airlines and service to Jamaica but doesn't speak to Bonaire specifically.

"More later".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (BonaireTalker - Post #92) on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Which resorts are in this planing process?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2061) on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

BonRep didn't name names-- meant to include that the first time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadine Rubin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 9:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow...that would be great from FFL - Us east coasters can fly there dirt cheap on Southwest Airlines. Great move on the resorts' part. TCB needs to do the same for the non-resort people. Lets hope this works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sonya Crosby (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 1:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

there was chat last week about charter flight. does any one have any specific info on charter companies? we have a group of 35 plus trying to get from atl to bon in nov. for our annual trip. any help would be greatly appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Riggs (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 5:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Like the idea of a non stop flight.....dont like the idea of being bullied into one of the four resorts if I prefer to stay elsewhere.

(Message edited by RICHinNC on June 4, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1921) on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 7:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No resort, inn keeper or travel company is thinking of bullying anyone. The people I have been in contact with, are trying to add reliable and affordable flights, not limit the number of flights to Bonaire.

The people that are working towards arranging these flights, are business people. These people and the establishments they own/manage will have to make financial guarantees to the airline(s) involved. Of course they will offer the limited number of seats to people that will be staying at their facilities and buying their services, before offering them to other people that are staying at and buying identical services, from their competitors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #499) on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 7:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I sure hope this works out. It would be great leaving from Ft. Lauderdale rather than Miami, but either way, a BIG improvement over the current situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1922) on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 7:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree Mary, my fingers are crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Puskarich (BonaireTalker - Post #81) on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hope something works out, right now options from Chicago look like Chicago to San Juan to Bonaire, but the times are less then to be desired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2068) on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 7:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Bonaire Reporter is in the midst of a 1- part series of articles on 'Finding Balance for Bonaire' which is discussing tourism and air lift. The first five articles are available now, free, from the 'Bonaire Balance' link at http://www.bonairereporter.com/ .

This week's sixth article, 'Air Lift Myths', is available today only through a newspaper subscription but will be free in a few days. It's main thrust is that Bonaire as an island has not been promoting it's tourism, tourist numbers are growing more slowly than the majority of the Caribbean and that better air lift will reappear when there is demand.

It is all an interesting read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #823) on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 6:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would love to skip over Miami...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2069) on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 8:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just FYI, that is a 10-part series!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #276) on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen -

Thank you for posting the Bonaire Reporter link.

Their analyses are most interesting. I am in no position to assess the accuracy of the statistics they present, but if they are substantially correct, I learned a great deal about the tourist economy and development issues on Bonaire.

And I wonder if there is any more specific identification of those desiring the new 500 room hotel development?

Much obliged.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #178) on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

fascinating series - I will try to remember to check back for further installments.

as a investment analyst, I would quite interested to see the hard numbers on what it would take to make a project work. There is clearly a chicken and egg game going on here - to commit to such a large project would require a steady flow of visitors, which is currently not a reality.

several thoughts:

- a bond/letter of credit is certainly a smart thing to require. for a marginal credit risk, this would run 1%/year - an investment grade company would pay closer to .25-.5%/year.

- using the facts provided, I think the only way that a such a development should be constructed would be in stages so as to not disrupt the current supply/demand balance of accomodations on the island. a gradual increase in room count (add say 100 new rooms every 12-18 months) would provide a developer with cash flow to service the debt. to construct such a large development all at once would be suicidal for the developer and disasterous to the Bonaire economy

- I see now why this developemnt will take a very large, financially secure organization to be involved, as ,in my professional opinion, this development will run negative cash flow for quite some time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #179) on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

responding to a private message from someone on the board, I had an new idea came to mind...

Is is possible this new development might be a self-contained all inclusive resort like a Club Med or Allegro?

These operators generally bring the tourists in for 1 week vacation via charter air from 2-3 gateway cities like NYC & Chicago. This doesn't solve the current lack of airline seats problem, but it might explain how/why a developer could go ahead with such a project without good air connections.

Having strolled through the Sunset ruins, I don't see, however, the site being large enough to accomodate that size or type of resort, as they like to be low-rise and have plenty of room for guests to spread out and enjoy many activities. (We've done the Club Med thing 2 times - once in Florida, once in Punta Cana).

A Club Med would also scare me, as most of the people I've come across there have a sense of entitlement that says: "to heck with you, I've paid $8000 for my family for this week and I'm going to do what I please"...god help the reef!

While I'm not a fan of the all-inclusives (because of the attitude I just described), it might bring completely new visitors (and a different type of visitor) to Bonaire that might be willing to come back on their own and this type of set up wouldn't overwhelm the existing restaurant scene. This still doesn't solve the construction workers or on-going employee issues, but may pose less of a threat to current lodging operators than a monsterous 500-room Hilton.

just a few random thoughts...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James T. McPeak (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #280) on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, that might be true. However, most people that do all inclusives tend to eat at the inclusive restaurants, as it is part of their dime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josh Schrank (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't know if anyone else has read it, but according to June 12th Reporter, Continental has agreed to start daily round trippers from Houston to Bonaire effective Dec 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #741) on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 7:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josh, NOT daily, weekly.

effective 16 Dec

You can start booking on line effect 1 July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney Lusher (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 2:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just checked the article and it says daily. Is that right or is it weekly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #743) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I checked with TCB this morning, weekly.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration