BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: From Curacao to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: From Curacao to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy Weatherby on Wednesday, June 9, 1999 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I are going to be in Curacao for a few days before going to Bonaire. My spouse had hoped to take a boat from Curacao, but I've learned that that is difficult/impossible. Could anyone suggest an airline that might have the best price? Also, we are to be at the Harbour Beach for a week and will probably want a car. Any suggestions on best car rental agencies?
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kuhlman on Wednesday, June 9, 1999 - 8:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ALM is the airline, they have a website and an 800 number. Prices? You are at the mercy of ALM.

Car Rental agencies: They are all pretty good. Budget, Netties and Island Rentals are the most popular on the web pages. We used Island Rentals in June of last year, and reserved on their website. I was impressed with their service and the fact that I could reserve across the web. For a guy running a rental car business out of his father's cement plant, they are doing a fine job.

We found the supercab pickup or a jeep were best for us. We could throw our dive stuff in the back and go our merry way. If you don't know how to drive a stick shift, you may have more problems renting selection. Unless you are going into the Park, a jeep or truck is not required. Four wheel drive isn't the issue. Ground clearance for pot holes is the issue.

Head the advice about leaving the vehicle unlocked with the windows down when you go diving. There has been an intermittent problem at remote dive sites. Petty thieves will drive up, see a rental car in a deserted parking area, and know you are underwater. Duhhh. If you leave nothing of value in the vehicle, they can't steal anything. If you leave the windows down, they wont break them trying to find something.

Other than this petty theft, crime on Bonaire appears to be very minor. You should have no reason to feel unsafe.

Please post a trip report when you return!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration