BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: If There was Direct Flight From Miami to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: If There was Direct Flight From Miami to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3996) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

would there be interest in this flight?

I am saying that this is real. However if there was a weekly charter flight leaving Miami Saturday afternoons and coming back to Miami Sunday mornings would there be an interest in this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Peters (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Depending on what the final RT cost was, I would think there would be a lot of interest in reliable service from the U.S. mainland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill and Donna Goodwin (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 1:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most definitely interested - several times a year for our group...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff miesemer (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes. We have a group trip scheduled for November and have just found out our Air Jamaica flight has been cancelled. We're trying to find a way to get to Bonaire from Pennsylvania. A hop in Miami sounds better than the other options we've found so far, one of which is going to another destination altogether.

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4000) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim - rt costs between $450 - $500 not including taxes and fees. Plane would seat 160 - 170 passengers.

It would be limited to one flight a week coming and going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob & Kobi (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff, we too just cancelled our reservations flying out of BWI again this November due to the snafu with AJ. Talked to our agent again today and she assured me there is NO hope that AJ will change their minds or come back! Curacao is next on the chopping block. They have gone from 20 planes last year to just 5 currently; selling off assets. So sad!

Mary, we would most definately have an interest in your proposal. I assume we'd be looking at a 737, MD80 size plane?

Would be cool if a group of BTer's could look into chartering a private plane and heading to Bonaire. I might snoop at NetJet or something just to sooth my curiosity :-) If we had 6-8 people interested we could charter something small and it would probably equal paying first class anyway.

Off to snoop and make some phone calls.........

Kobi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (BonaireTalker - Post #89) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

At $500 pp we would be very interested. We go every year in late December or early January. However, we already have A/A for late this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodney Lusher (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary
What a great plan. If it happened it would save us a couple hundred each from Norfolk VA and hopefully cut out the stop in San Juan. We are very interested and I feel sure that many others we have traveled with would jump at the opportunity.
Please tell us more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIANE AND BEA (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes we would be interested. Planning our 4th trip to Bonaire. We have been looking for different ways to get there . Since we had a bad AJ experience, that would be great !!!!!! Yes we would jump at it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woodward (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I read recently in the Miami Herald that Ft. Lauderdale is a much cheaper airport to operate from.

It might mean some savings per passenger.

We and a local dive shop would be interested, if the fare is reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1349) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fort Lauderdale would make it better for some of us travelling from Boston or Manchester NH too (hint hint!) - more direct flights from budget airlines. (Southwest for instance):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4003) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good point on Fort Lauderdale - will need to investigate charter companies run out of there to see if they will work with this plan and meet the necessary criteria. For now Miami is the only option - but that does not mean Ft Lauderdale is out of the question.

Fare thought to be between $450 - $500 pp WITHOUT taxes or fees. Please note that taxes and fees would need to be added.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Jones (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary,
What might be the possible start up dates of such a service? I am part of a group that had planned a trip later this summer. We were booked on Air Jamaica and now are scrambling for options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carol Poole (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We would also be very interested in a charter from Ft. Lauderdale. I also wrote US Air (well it was worth a try don't you think?!) since they are pretty successful in Aruba. Should we consider a charter flight from Aruba?

How does one even start to research this? We simply can't wait to get back but can't arrange a trip November.
Carol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Miami/Ft Lauderdale is fine, we are planning a couple of trips each year, but I think there would also be interest in weekly charters from the NY/NJ/PA area. Someone from NJ would have to pay the $200 round trip to get to Miami or Ft Lauderdale anyway, so you're looking at $700+ total per ticket round trip anyway. I would just as soon pay that much or a little more for a direct flight, maybe up to $800 round trip.

But if Miami is the only choice, fine with me.

Seems from Miami should be a little cheaper round trip, no? it's not that far from BON, and 160 passengers at $500 is $80000.

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 4:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Access to Miami will not put all passengers at the airport for a timely departure to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1867) on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 5:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just checked fares out of BTV, found it is cheaper by about $125.00 to fly to Ft. Lauderdale on Jet Blue. If it was to originate out of Ft. Lauderdale, I would recommend this service to my friends/associates who typically take one week trips. I would not take advantage of this unless it would be possible to stay on Bonaire for two full weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4007) on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson - the flight to Bonaire would be in the afternoon - I think most can get to Miami to connect with an afternoon flight.

Tom - understand the 2 week and Ft. Lauderdale. You should be able to spend 2 full weeks there - however the Ft. Lauderdale idea needs a bit of research. I will let you guys know if that is an option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please note that the price for a charter to Bonaire direct back to back should be around (very low) 272 and (very high)500.
This is if the flight is operated from Atlanta.
Miami, Orlando and Las Vegas are also options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Tweed (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson, I had thought you had previously posted that it would not be economical to have a weekly charter? The prices you project sound pretty reasonable. I think there should be a direct flight from NYC, myself, but I'm predjudiced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4010) on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson - can you give more details on the flights associated with the prices quoted? I think we all would be interested in knowing if there are regular charters out of those cities to Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (BonaireTalker - Post #58) on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, definite interest from us-we live on Bonaire and would go round trip to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale at least 4 times a year-especially if you could take pets in the cabin-pls make it petfriendly if possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

William, I indicated that the flow of passengers to and from Bonaire based on my analysis did not warrant a direct flight. If you look at the flow on the thread of BT it self you may find on one day maybe five for the most ten people going to Bonaire. The aircrafts which fly the long haul US to Curacao or Aruba are 737's, DC9's or MD80's - so the configuration of the aircraft is between 110 passengers to 148. No Airline will make a direct flight to a position for just ten passengers - It will cost more in fuel than the tickets summed up. When you talk about a weekly flight you are talking about minimum 110 passenger to and from Bonaire.
As I promised the moderators not to discuss business on the threads makes it difficult for me to go into more details because it would seem as though I am promoting business which is not the case but I have to respect the rules. Charters can be very expensive if you do not know how because many times the passengers end up paying for the guarantees to be flown too and hoping to be picked when going back. Take into consideration: Say - you fill one flight to Bonaire but you have nobody going back on the day of the flight the first group will pay for one and a half person - it will be until the second flight that it becomes attractive because the aircraft comes in full and returns full - Is there sufficient demand for the route to warrant a direct flight weekly? I have made the necessary analysis and believe that if properly handled a biweekly can be done if the space is shared with other destinations. Hope I clarified the situation some what. I am aware of the deficiency on the route more now that AJ is falling apart - the DCA is already gone and BE is struggling to keep in the air. Hopefully there will be some improvements shortly because the problem has my attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stigaard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #386) on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We would love to see a charter out of Atlanta. Atlanta is a good hub and we have a lot of Air-Tran flights in and out. With their frequent sales on Air Tran, it would be reasonable to get to this hub for a Bonaire flight. I think this would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #166) on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 8:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If people are turning their noses up at AirTran, please re-think your position. We flew them RT Newark-Orlando with connection in Atlanta at the end of April.

I found AirTran employees to be courteous and well-informed. Our last leg (ATL-EWR) was delayed 2+ hours due to horrific weather that passed through Atlanta that AM and shut the airport down for 2+ hours. While this was a huge issue for some people, I think the airline managed it well & I would fly them again.

And the price, $162 RT EWR-MCO...Greyhound in the sky!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 10:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Considering the deficiency on airlift to Bonaire I have not stopped looking for possibilities to alleviate this problem. I believe I have found at least one solution which needs to be verified and as soon as the information has been verified I will post it for your information - I hope the moderators do not consider this as promotion of any business. As indicated before there are not enough visitors to guaranty charter flights direct to Bonaire. Maybe one or two? These are possible. What has to be guaranteed is that you can Go direct to Bonaire and direct home or at least to an airport near your home town. Promise - God's will the solution will bring ease and will also keep the focus on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Bridenbaugh (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 7:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our LDS had about 17 people booked at Captain Don's for the first two weeks in July. They were just informed about their AJ flights and it looks like NO DICE for them as AA is booked. What a bummer.
A charter would do the trick for them. I think there is an overwhelming interest in some kind of weekly or bi-weekly charter out of some Florida city. We were fortunate to get tickets for our JUly trip through AA back in March.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth Dodge (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We go to Bonaire every year with about 15 people from Boston. Most the folks are coming from NH so we would consider Fort Lauderdale and Miami to Bonaire. We stay at Captain Don's and decided to cancel our trip to another island as there is no place like home aka - Capt Dons in Bonaire.
Help! We need to find reasonable and reliable airfare to Bonaire in November.

~Ruth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #58) on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear BT fans
If all works out well there will be a direct flight to Bonaire somewhere in June 2005.
Choice of flight Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday - The flight time still has to be fixed -
I shall keep you posted. This flight depending on the demand can remain standard for Bonaire. (My fingers are crossed and hope yours are too) No immediate need for a charter is necessary unless the demand surpasses the presently available capacity for Bonaire.
This is no promotion - simply assistance to the ones who need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1872) on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 3:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Looking forward to hearing more good news Davidson. Our fingers are crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #730) on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I traded emails with Davidson several months ago regarding the best departure city from the U.S. that could have the best opportunity to fill the flight and keep an attractive schedule.

After researching itinaries from thoughout the eastern 2/3 of the U.S., I concluded that the best gateway city would be Atlanta. I believe all major cities east of Denver can get to Atlanta in time for a 1:00 departure. If the flight left from Mia, only about half the folks could get there in time (extra time would be required to pick up bags and re-check at the charter counter). If there were a charter once per week, the probability of filling 110 seats per week from the eastern U.S. would be reasonably high (IMHO)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sandy Burgess (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would be interested in a flight from either ATL or MIA. It is getting harder and harder to get to Bonaire from the midwest-especially if you want to get there in 1 day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1876) on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, Just checked Delta to Atlanta from BTV and was pleasantly surprised. I found decent rates and a number of flights which should allow no-rush transfers in both directions:-{)}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tina M. Boring (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 1:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Leaving for BON 6/2 - nervous about AJ, keeping fingers crossed that all goes well. This will be our 5th trip. Looking to schedule another one in October - not much luck so far. Want to go to BON at least twice a year. We have a small group (3 to 8) who try to go together. VERY interested in flights from ATL (MIA okay but ATL seems easier). We are little disappointed that we have found such a wonderful place and it seems like we can't get there from here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Hollis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 6:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I have been reading these boards for months but Tina's post made me jump in and say something.

Tina,
I will be on that same plane from Atlanta on 6/2, so I hope we all get through with little to no delay.

Jared

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update:
I have five possibilities running simultaneously of which one has temporarily been put into the freezer pending further negotiations with the management of the Company -
One company is not willing to make the stop in Bonaire (of course because of limited amount of passengers) This will mean that I shall have to secure another aircraft at the final destination of this direct flight to pick up the BT passengers to take them to Bonaire - this aircraft is not yet in place but is being worked on. On the remaining three possibilities I hope to get an answer during the rest of this week. Please know that based on the amount of passengers I am trying to get a normal airline flight first and if this cannot be secured then a charter is the alternative for which I already have most details in place. At this stage possibilities are being worked on from JFK (or EWR - Newark)- Miami, Orlando and Atlanta. With a bit of patience things will work out fine. In any case it cannot become worse. It should also remain payable otherwise it will not make any sense. The US dollar tells us what to do and if we just do that we shall overcome all obstacles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #184) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 8:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A suggestion - what about a charter from Newark or Atlanta or Miami or wherever to Bonaire, with a stop in Curacao, either before or after the Bonaire stop?

In other words, the passengers can stay on the plane or go in the airport in transit lounge, and then go on to the final destination. This eliminates the hassles of picking up and rechecking baggage etc., and would virtually guarantee filling the plane. It could work to Aruba also.

I think a weekly charter to Curacao and Bonaire would be full, especially if Continental is doing a nonstop to Curacao.

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #493) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

American already flies from PR to Bonaire and from MIA to Curacao. It would appear to me an easy solution would be to combine the MIA-CUR with the PR-BON route and fly a MIA-CUR-BON route.
In any case, I sure hope something gets worked out. Our annual trip to Bonaire was canceled this year and we are going elsewhere soley due to the problems with airlines. I had a bad feeling about AJ in Dec and choose not to return to Bonaire. Although I am really sad that we will not return to Bonaire this year, changing destinations sure looks like was a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Carl,
Continental just got bommed yesterday because they are demanding a guaranty of 60% of the seats - I am negotiating with the Bureau of Tourism to take over the deal with Continental or better. This would have been an alternative into Curacao and then unto Bonaire by other means available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 1:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Herman, If it were as easy as you state it - then please rest assured that it would have already been done long ago. Unfortunately it is not that easy. In aviation (and government) things are not as easily done as it is done in normal day to day business.To copy paste a name takes a century and once the name is glued copy pasting becomes almost impossible. Sorry I am talking in parables but it is difficult to bring up in words - I am in it every single day and I wish that I could change the system but ......... because if I could I would have done this a long time ago. Please know that I am working on it (not much comfort but at least I am trying)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2244) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 3:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

JFK or EWR to BON would ROCK. You keep on working at it Davidson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIANE AND BEA (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chicago would REALLY rock, but we would even settle for Miami . Thanks Davidson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woodward (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson, I have been visiting BT a little more than usual the past few days. I have high hopes for your efforts.

I vote for a departure from Atlanta or anywhere in Florida.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Long (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #122) on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just received this e-mail back from American Airlines. We continually evaluate the profitability of each flight segment we operate and, where
appropriate, we withdraw from serving a particular market when we find our resources
could be better utilized elsewhere. Likewise, we add service -- either with new
routes or greater frequency -- where it would be profitable to do so and we have the
available equipment and personnel. We have documented your suggestion for a
Miami-Bonaire-Curacao route.

Mr. Long, we appreciate your interest in American Airlines and hope to welcome you
aboard soon. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #58) on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Right after AJ announced it was terminating service to Bonaire, I spoke with a pilot for Independence Air, a Washington-Dulles based "low-cost" airline, and suggested that they consider the Dulles - Bonaire route. Followed it up with a written suggestion via their web-site. Nothing back yet.

They have several A319/A320s that they use for non-stop flights from Dulles to Los Angeles, San Francisco, and other west-coast cities. These airplanes have the "legs" for a flight IAD/BON and Independence Air (www.flyi.com) has connections to Dulles from many east-coast and mid-west cities. Was told by the pilot that they can fly internationally, and their fares have been quite reasonable to-date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear BT fans, I am happy to see that there are some more people looking into possibilities for us to come to a solutions which I truly hope we can get to - not only for you but also for Bonaire.
In the case of AA - there is something called the 5th. right and to make use of that the necessary paper work has to be dealt with and it does not happen overnight or the flight has to be designated semi or full charter. It is not because AE has a flight permission from SJU to BON AA can just fly to Bon. I will not bother you with the technicalities. Important is you wish to go to Bonaire either direct (first choice) or not more than one stop.
A very good news is for the Eastern US travellers in a discussion this morning the proposal for Continental has been reopened and I hope it will be confirmed - but that will put you direct into Curacao and you still have to go to Bonaire.
I am waiting on three answers of which two will put you into Bonaire direct and one with one stop. The flight with one stop is a scheduled airline flight which will have to confirm to me how many passengers there should be minimum for them to make the stop in Bonaire. If some of you know something about aircrafts - For a jet to take off and land within a distance of 139 nm - 1. - it burns a lot of fuel and 2. it is strenuous on the engines whereby extra charges are levied because of faster ware of the engines. That is why many if not all airlines use prop or turbo prop for short hauls. The other two flights both direct - one will be from Miami and one will be from Atlanta. Miami carries 172 passengers and Atlanta 215. I need to receive the pricing on these flights to see if it is worthwhile. Furthermore the dates have to be fixed on which these flights will be effected.
BWIA has a direct flight to Trinidad - They are not willing to make the stop in Bonaire - Trinidad is 419 miles away from Bonaire - At this stage we do not have an aircraft in place to pick up the passengers at the end destination of that flight and it will all depend on how many passengers are on that flight.
We have a North American Flight going into Guyana - they also do not want to make the stop in Bonaire - Guyana is 687 nm away from Bonaire - I did not even consider a pick up here it is too far and will be expensive.
If Curacao did not follow up the way we did this morning with Continental I would have taken over the deal - but then the flights would be operated from EWR - Total passengers 120. So far an update and hoping to get to the bottom of things shortly. I shall be very happy if we do find a solution. On the one stop flight I shall speak to the management on Thursday considering that they are travelling and are not in office.
Important for us to know is how many persons are going to travel when - If you have a charter - would the amount of people fill the aircrafts (otherwise it will not be worth the expenses or the price per person becomes high - remember a charter is total aircraft expenses divided by amount of travellers on that aircraft at that moment)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I thought it would nice to inform you that AE has confirmed that they will be able to fill a piece of the gap AJ left - They will have daily flights from San Juan (SJU) to Bonaire starting July 2nd. through September 6th. 2005.
At least this may temporarily ease some of the pains pending further positive developments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tina M. Boring (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 8:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Was to be leaving 6/2 - JUST got word from Delta (been on the phone with them 1 1/2 hrs)that the Montego Bay to Bonaire leg had been cancelled. What a scramble! Delta worked hard. They said they were working with AE to alleviate the AJ mess but no agreement had been made yet. Maybe tomorrow. Delta rescheduled us ATL to Aruba. At first they said we would need to contact Bonaire Excel but they ended up getting us setup on Bonaire Excel to Bonaire. We were advised to contact Delta a day or 2 before we are scheduled to return. Keeping our fingers crossed that everything will work out. Hoping that something will be worked out by someone to ease the travel pains (and stress) of getting to and from Bonaire. Thanks to all those on Bonaire Talk who are trying to help with this endeavor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #70) on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 12:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are sweating it out at this end - We just have to get confirmation. Pending are Atlanta (fuel stop in Orlando if necessary before the over watercrossing)direct to Bonaire. Miami direct to Bonaire - Orlando to Bonaire all direct flights for mid, southern and western US - For Eastern US by June 7 I shall know if we can service Newark direct to Bonaire or with a stop in Curacao. To start the operations it may take a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of one month.
I hope that our Government has learned this expensive lesson for letting DCA go just like that - But as the saying goes - No use looking back at spilled milk. As indicated before the aircraft operators are looking at what the volume will be - From Atl. and around the seating will be for 120 from Newark the seating will be 124. As these flights will be charter flights to Bonaire the aircraft cannot make use of the 5th right so they cannot transport local passengers.
I am also working on a 3x per week flight into Curacao and upon receipt of the manifest a stop in Bonaire can be requested depending on how many passengers there are for Bonaire otherwise the rest of the trip will be by BE, Divi or other - This will be arranged once confirmations are received as to how the solution is going to be -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #186) on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 8:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brilliant work. How often will the charters from Atlanta/Newark/Miami/Orlando fly?

Many thanks

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1366) on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is great! Orlando is a direct flight from Manchester NH on Southwest (so I'd definitely like that!), and probably a direct flight for a lot of other airlines from a lot of other places, too.

Whatever you manage to achieve, Davidson -- know that you have the Bonaire addicts here undying appreciation!

I can't wait to hear the outcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #187) on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can pretty well sign me up for the inaugural flight... :-) Perhaps we can have a party for the first flight and smash a bottle of champers against the nose of the plane. Party hats and noisemakers for everyone! :-)

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By phillip potts (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 11:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We fly from BWI which has many direct flights to Miami and Orlando. If the new flights are confirmed then we can all breath a huge sigh of relief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #189) on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 8:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson, any news yet?

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #72) on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 4:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Still working at it Carl. On Monday there will be a meeting and I hope that by June 7 there will be another one. As indicated Bonaire itself is trying to get Delta - I just hope they are lucky - But knowing Delta the negotiations can become expensive and then automatically the prices will be high. At this stage my plans are in place and I hope the ice will break somewhere soon so we can get a breather.
Will keep you posted. Please note that what ever happens it will take a month to have everything in place - Like ground handling and ticketing unless the deal is done the way I am suggesting - Let a US carrier place the route on their reservation system - I hope they listen this time because this is the fastest and most efficient way of going about doing this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2284) on Sunday, June 5, 2005 - 12:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson, hang in there and know we are rooting for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Sunday, June 5, 2005 - 2:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Seb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #77) on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 10:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Find a telephone number in:
Bonaire: http://www.bonaire.ws to the left of the page you will see Yellow pages - Scroll down to the end of yellow pages where it starts with the Alphabet listing e.g. aaa - click on the letters of the name you are looking for and the names and numbers will appear automatically for that alphabet letter.

Curacao: http://www.whitepages.an to the left of the page enter a keyword to find a listing - at name use the surname (last name)

These two are a replica of both phone books there may be a deviation here and there because as we advance the systems change - and the books are released once a year.

Hope this makes you feel a bit closer to home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #193) on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 10:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson- Any news on the talks yet? :-)

Thanks

Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadine Rubin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #106) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phil,

We fly from BWi also, and I don't know when you last checked but the only non-stops to Miami are at 6 and 8am. The rest are through Altanta - doesn't matter what airline. So for that kind of layover, you might as well go to SJ.

Orlando is NOT a good idea - Disney packages take the seats - it is a final destination, not a hub. That was the problem with AJ - you couldn't get seats because of the "locals" going to Jamaica.

For us East coasters, Boston, Newark, Atlanta or Fort Lauderdale are all cheap destinations to fly from or to, and they are not a "tourist" destination, which makes hubbing there better for the guaranteed # of seats an airline needs to fill.

Thank you Davidson for everything you are doing. Everyone needs to be patient and I'm sure you will make it happen. The general public has no idea what it takes to do what you are doing. My daughter-in-law is legal counsel for a new start up airline - there is no fairy dust in that industry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #78) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 4:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last minute info and still sweating it out.
JFK (can change to Newark) to Atlanta direct to Bonaire. Capacity 214 passengers. If all goes well this can be permanent.
East coast goes to Atlanta first and pick up Atlanta direct to Bonaire. I shall discuss this with the authorities in charge tomorrow. Almost there - East coast once boarded does not have to change aircraft in Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nadine Rubin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #107) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go Davidson! You da man!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIANE AND BEA (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are ready for whatever the outcome maybe . Thank you !! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2296) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG that would rock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By phillip potts (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson---BWI to Atlanta would definitely work well for us. Nadine---I agree that Ft. Lauderdale is a better connection than Miami or Orlando.
Diane and Phillip in Baltimore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4989) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow....you mean Joe and I can plan on returning to Bonaire again next year??!!! Wow!!! EWR/Newark to Atlanta and not having to change planes and then whisk us off to Bonaire from there...with a "large"/real plane, to boot!???!! We are IN!! Thanks for the hard work, Davidson. I will follow this thread closely, for certain. Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Wansley (BonaireTalker - Post #74) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 1:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let me also extend a big “Thank You!” to Davidson for initializing this exercise.

I’ve been following this thread closely, with the hopes that Atlanta is the gateway choice from the U.S.A., not just for selfish reasons (yes I do live in metro Atlanta), but for the benefit of all other travelers to Bonaire.

Anyone who has ever had to clear customs in Miami knows the true meaning of traveling nightmare. And while everything is not always perfect at the Atlanta airport, the Immigration experience is usually quick and painless. The dedicated International facilities are relatively new, the air conditioning actually works, and there are a lot, and I do mean a lot, of Immigration Officers available to welcome you back. There were almost 100 stations open the last time we came through. This means it only takes a few minutes to clear, and then you’re on your way. I’ve even had the agents say “Welcome Home” with a smile. Last April all we got was a grunt and a surly look when returning from Curacao through Miami.

The only drawback is that everyone (even if Atlanta is your final destination) has to claim, transport a short distance, and then recheck your bags. It’s a minor inconvenience compared to the Miami customs debacle.

A few years ago, when ALM was still solvent, we flew them direct to Bonaire from Atlanta and back. Get on, takeoff, touchdown less than four hours later. Can you say “EASY”? Now ALM is gone, but the memories of easy travel still linger. Hey wow, I got where I was going, and my gear made it too! Sure would be nice to experience that again. And again……

One thing I’m not clear about….is the deal being negotiated a charter flight on a private airline, or is this a contract with the larger air carriers, or something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4103) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Philip - my understanding is there are 2 avenues that 2 separate sets of people are taking.

Davidson is working with the larger airlines to try to get flight into Bonaire direct or maybe with one stop.

A group of resort owners are working on charter flights (private airline) out of Ft Lauderdale direct to Bonaire.

And I agree customs in Atlanta is easier than Miami.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill and Donna Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just got back from our fifth trip to Bonaire, and although we do not live in the Atlanta area, Atlanta International Terminal E is the way to re-enter the US - every time has been totally smooth and they just completed an expansion that makes it even smoother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #79) on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear all, the Bonaire Tourist Bureau is aware of what I am doing and I have given them my lines of thought on how to resolve some of the bottle necks. If the BT fans collectively walk in the same direction and 214 persons from the whole of the US can travel together the travellers will have the advantage of the plan: JFK (preference is given to Newark) to Atlanta to Bonaire and back the same way. The aircraft will be a B757 which will take about 2 hrs. down to Atlanta from NY or New Jersey then approximately 4 hrs. to Bonaire direct. The US divided up into four parts will allow NE a part of Mid West and a part of West to go into NY and West a part of Mid West and South go into Atlanta. As planned the aircraft will originate in NY or NJ and end the rotation there. A day flight will originate at NY at 11:30 arrive Atl. 13:45 and leave for Bonaire at 14:15. This flight will allow all the connecting flights in the US to make connection with the flight to Bonaire. The return flight will have to be plotted to give the same results for the connecting flights home.
Requested flights for the earliest July 17 for the latest August 7 through December 25, 2005.
Bonaire has made some commitments for flights originating out of Houston - I am pending on the result. Price wise it may be a bit high but if it will give a way to Bonaire it is up to the travellers - at least you will have a choice. My hope is that the problem be cleared up - It does not matter who does it as long as it is done. We shall remain positive for a favorable outcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4993) on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 11:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, again, Davidson....I'm hoping for EWR/Newark to Atlanta into Bonaire! I will continue to monitor this thread closely, for sure. Let's all stick together on this one, folks! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4994) on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 11:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

PS We truly love the idea of large aircraft, too, be it Airbus or Boeing...both sound great to us. Hate those puddle jumpers. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Mizell (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 4:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Davidson, thank you very much for your hard work. I'm hoping you can get something going by July 23! I'll use it next year anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Davidson Mourillon (BonaireTalker - Post #81) on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 11:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The pleasure is mine! God Bless.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration