BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: What to do in PR for five hr. layover?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: What to do in PR for five hr. layover?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Wallace (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 5:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I had to change from AJ to AA and fly thru San Juan because AJ cancelled the Wed. flights starting in June. What can I do to keep myself and four teenagers occupied during our layovers from 11 am to 4pm? Drinking is a good option for me but I'd rather take a cab somewhere and be entertained by some other drunks. What are your recommendations for a place to chill outside of the airport? BTW, we're staying at Buddy's July 6-13. Look me up if you want to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #112) on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Wed. flights for AJ run until July 27th. Aug. 27th AJ stops going to Bonaire... Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #480) on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bruce. You can get a cab from the airport to Isla Verde, a fairly nice beach lined with hotels and beach bars. From the lower level of the airport walk to the taxi line and go to the taxi stand. It is a short ride (6-7 minutes) to the beach and as of last year cost 8 dollars. You can rent chairs for 3 dollars or head to one of the beachfront restaurants/bars. If you have carryon bags there is a bag check on the upper level of the airport across from the AA desks and near a beauty shop. For 3 dollars a bag and proof of ID you can secure your bags. When you return to the airport you will need to clear security which is easier if you follow the sighs for gates 1-7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #846) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 12:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Or you can take the cab all the way into Old San Juan, have them drop you off at El Morro Castle, take the walking tour of the fortress, then at the circle where the cab dropped you off, take the free A/C'd trolley around its circuit and cool off a bit. Then pick a spot to get off and do some walking around looking at some of the other sights. If you want to eat lunch in town, try La Bonbomera on Calle San Francisco between Calle San Justo and Calle Tanka. The front looks like a little pastry shop, but there is an old timey sandwich/cafe shop in the back. Fresh squeezed Puerto Rican orange juice is available and the pastries are good. I love the L. B. Special sandwich. You can find a map of Old SJ thru www.welcome.topuertorico.org with museums and points of interest listed on it. Click on Explore Puerto Rico, then click on the San Juan section of the island, scroll down and pick places you might want to check out. At the bottom is the link to the printable map.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Knauer (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 9:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron,
I think you mean effective June 27 (according to all the other posts) there's only a Sat flight to and from MBJ until the end of August.
Looks like our upcoming trip will come just under the wire as we're arriving Sat 5/28 and returning Wed. 6/8.
14 days and counting......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13678) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron, both Susan and Linnea have good tips. Isla Verde is much closer to the airport. If you arrive at 11, it will be at least noon or there abouts by the time you check your stuff at the bag check (Susan, it took us a LONG time to find it in March). It is OUTSIDE of security (we kept looking inside the security area...doh!) and next to the cinnabon baker (didn't see a beauty shop, but we smelled the buns...LOL!)

Isla Verde is very close to the airport, and you will have to head back around 2:30 or so to get your bags and get back through security (that is if your flight leaves at 4? if it leaves at 5:30 you'll have more time).

The Wyndam has a great beachside restaurant. If you want the best burger in the world (I know, everyone else has heard this), go to the Hampton Inn in Isla Verde...the pool BBQ...you won't regret it. You can also walk along the main road where the hotels and such are and there are trinket shops, etc. to look at.

OSJ, is great, however, traffic can be a you know what getting back to the airport, especially on a weekday at rush hour (been there done that).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13679) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops Ron, I meant BRUCE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #482) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 11:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, thanks for adding those few little words "outside of security" for the baggage check. In all the times I have recommended it, I usually just say across from the AA counter but forget to mention that part. Sorry you had to take a long time finding it. Hmmmmm don't remember the Cinnabon but am sure Mark will find it in July when we head back to Bonaire. We usually head right to Isla Verde but am thinking I need to try those Hampton burgers you rave about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Wallace (BonaireTalker - Post #71) on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 12:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the advice. I was just looking at my reservations and it's more like seven hours on AA/AE. Still looking forward to it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13689) on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, I remember you posting the info...well, we looked a long time up and down the AA terminal (all the way to the Admiral's club) trying to find it, asking folks that worked there...NONE of them knew about it! I finally slipped in the AA Admiral's Club and asked them, that's when he told us it was outside the security area and next to the Cinnabon...that was easy to find...LOL! We did put zip ties on our carry ons we left and the guy had sissors for us to cut them off when we got back. It was like 2 or 3 dollars CASH to store each bag. Well worth it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #483) on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, funny thing about the place is how unobtrusive it is. One does wonder about leaving bags there as there are no signs or info. Feels like a bit of a leap of faith! But we have done so successfully for at least 8 years and hope it does not close (only time was right after Sept 11). When I show up at the hotels at IV I just want a backpack with a bathing suit so I look like I am staying there!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2644) on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, what was the name of the place we walked to on the beach for burgers? It was pretty cool, too. (though not as good as Hamp-TONE).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13695) on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, unobtrusive is correct. If you hadn't posted that you felt secure about leaving your bags there, I'm not sure we would have!

Kelly, it was the beach restaurant at the Wyndam:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #484) on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 7:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, we too have fond memories of the beach bar at the Wyndham. One year they were crazy busy and since we had all day between flights we were in no rush. I think we were the only table not complaining about the slow service so our waiter kept comping us drinks. Finally got our burgers about 4 hours later but have no idea how good they were after so many beers!!! We have also enjoyed the beach bar at the Intercontinental. For any of you looking to visit these places during a layover, be aware that during busy seasons the hotels will not let you access the beach bars through the pool areas if you are not a hotel guest. Your cab from the airport can leave you at the public beach access and then it is a short walk along the sand to either the Intercontinental or the Wyndham El San Juan. Cynde and Kelly -- I assume from your posts that the pool BBQ at the Hampton is public? Am already thinking ahead to July!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13707) on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, yes, the bar at the Hampton is public...public in that you walk in the lobby and out to the pool like you are staying there (walk like a moose)...LOL! After we got into our apartment, and of course, went back several times for a "fix" we just walked through and back to the pool and bar...no problems:-)

I forgot about the beach access thing. Can't you walk through the lobby of the Wyndam or Intercontinental and out to the pool and beach? Seems like we went through the lobby a couple of times (not to go to the beach, but for drinks in the lobby, et. al.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2651) on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, just walk in like ya own the place, we did. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #485) on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Walking in like we own the place has usually worked for us at both the Wyndham and the Intercontinental but the last time we tried it at the Wyndham we were stopped at the door from the lobby to the pool area and asked to show our room key --- they did not believe that we did not have it with us!! We were told that we could walk out the front, down the street and along the beach to get to the beach bar which is when we began to frequent the Intercontinental instead!! I plan my travel clothes to look like I am staying at the hotel, too!! Of course I think the folks that stay there have way more money than I do and my shorts and flip flops don't quite compare with the designer labels and diamond jewels!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration