BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: BonairExpress Observations & Recommendations
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: BonairExpress Observations & Recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Sunday, May 8, 2005 - 8:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just returned from Bonaire trip 13, flying BonairExpress through Aruba this time, and here are my observations and recommendations.

(1) BE is easy and convenient to use, just realize they operate a little differently from the mainline U.S. carriers. [Our Aruba – Bonaire flight was right on time, and our Bonaire – Aruba flight was about 30 minutes late due to a shortage of ground personnel on Bonaire to handle baggage for both the 11 AM BON – CUR and 11 AM BON – AUA flights. However, unless you are cutting your Aruba connection close (not a wise thing to do because of the crowds in Aruba), 30 minutes late is not an issue. BE baggage delivery in Aruba was very quick, arriving within 2 – 3 minutes of when we got to the baggage area.]

(2) Upon arrival from the U.S., you must retrieve your bags and clear Aruba Customs/Immigration and then check in for BE. Exit Aruba’s Customs/Immigration building, turn right and stop at the kiosks between it and the next large building to pick up your BE tickets.

(3) The ONLY form of payment BE accepts on Aruba is cash. No travelers checks! No credit cards! If you need it, there is an ATM machine between the Customs Building and BE’s kiosk. (On Bonaire, BE said they do accept credit cards, although I am not sure if that includes American Express – just don’t recall their logo in the window.)

(4) Be sure to let the ticket writer know you are in transit and have not stayed overnight in Aruba. This significantly reduces the taxes on the ticket (about $74 for 2 people). Save your boarding pass from your inbound flight from the U.S., as BE may ask to see it to ensure you just arrived. (Also write "In transit to/from BON" on your Aruban immigration card.)

(5) Check-in for the 5:00 PM flight to Bonaire is not allowed until 3:30 PM (although I recall others saying on BT that you could check in immediately). If you are not able to check in immediately after you first arrive in Aruba and have purchased your BE tickets, find a seat in the air-conditioned arrivals area just outside Customs and have a bite to eat while you wait.

(6) Check-in on Bonaire is a snap. Just need to be there 1 hour before your flight and through security 30 minutes before departure.

(7) BE announcements in Aruba were in English. BE announcements in the Bonaire departure lounge appeared to be only in Papiamentu, but if you listen carefully, you can hear the word Aruba or Curacao. Just watch for the gate agent in the blue and orange outfit, and ask questions if uncertain.

(8) BE's airplanes are clean and reasonably comfortable, especially since it is only a 30 – 40 minute flight.

(9) Everyone from BE with whom we dealt was professional and courteous.

(10) Relax, enjoy and have a great trip. Definitely an alternative way to Bonaire, although perhaps a little longer travel time because of the waits in Aruba.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lydia S. Segal (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Sunday, May 8, 2005 - 4:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the level of detail in your report.

I just purchased BE tickets through a travel agent. Trip no 7 to Bon. First time using BE, but no other option if flying into Aruba. Thanks for the details you supplied, we will print them out and take them with us.

BTW, did you reserve your seats ahead on their web site? Thanks Lydia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (JATCCM) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2604) on Monday, May 9, 2005 - 12:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe silly question, but what is the difference between Bonaire Exel and Bonaire Express? Is it the same airline?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #50) on Monday, May 9, 2005 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seats were assigned at the airport. Had seats 10 A&C (near the back of the airplane) on the way to BON and Seats 1 D&F (rearward facing, but with some extra legroom) on the way back to AUA. Both rows were fine. Aircraft is boarded via the door at the rear of the airplane but not in any particular order. No issues clearing customs or retrieving bags on the way into Bonaire as most people use the "residents only" lane and travel light. Larger carry-on bags (i.e., small suitcases that normally fit in the overhead compartments of full-size jets) were left at and retrieved from the foot of the stairs on the way to BON. On the return flight, they were just placed our 1 carry-on suitcase into a small compartment at the top of the airstairs immediately after boarding the aircraft. Not an issue either way.

Baggage weight limits appeared to be based on the total number of bags and people in the party (20-kg / 44-lb per person unless you have BE note in your record that you are a diver and then you are allowed 30-kg / 66-lb per person). This is supposed to include the weight of carry-on bags, but they did not weigh our carry-ons either way. I also had been advised in advance that their charge for exceeding the baggage allowance was 10 NAF (~$6) for the first 15kg and 10 NAF for the next 10kg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #295) on Monday, May 9, 2005 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, it's the same .... Bonaire Exel changed name a few weeks ago as there are many problems including money laundry at parts of the Exel group in Holland (there are quite a number of Exels in different parts of Europe with different owners). The BonExel had its own owner but to not be liable etc they changed name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Monday, May 9, 2005 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The name on the side of each of the two ATR-42 airplanes I saw on the ground in BON before my 11 AM flight to Aruba both said "BonairExpress". One of the tails had a "BE" on it; the other an "AE" (and I am not talking about the aircraft registration numbers here). Don't know why the slightly difference tail schemes.

Signs elsewhere (airport check-in, etc.) sometimes say BonairExel and sometimes say BonairExpress.

Regardless, their blue/orange/white color scheme says "Bonaire, wish you were here". (Clearly PBD has set in!!!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benji Beaujon (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 7:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The reason one of the planes says be = Bonairexpress and the EA stands for exel aviation they never took it off the the tail, it used to belong to arubaexel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bonnie (BonaireTalker - Post #48) on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a little confused about getting tickets for BE. Can tix be purchased ahead of time? or can a reservation be made ahead of time? Or are we arriving in Aruba with our fingers crossed hoping to make the next plane?? (gulp)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cathy Smith (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were able to purchase our BE tickets for September (Aruba-Bonaire and return) online with our American Express card. But there is an extra charge for currency conversion. My understanding from other posts is that it is paid for but you must take your confirmation to the ticket window and get your actual tickets in Aruba.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Voss (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 7:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As I've posted elsewhere on this board, it's possible to get BE paper tickets issued by an agent in the States (we used Carlson Wagonlit), and I've heard that any Delta ticketing agent can also issue paper tickets. Others have posted that e-tickets are now available purchased directly from BE over the Internet -- I don't know whether BE treats an e-ticket the same as paper -- i.e., whether you can avoid the ticketing agent kiosk at the Aruba airport and go directly to the check-in desk to get your boarding pass. That's the goal, from my perspective. I would secure at least a BE reservation before your arrival in Aruba. Planes were packed when we traveled in February, mostly local folks traveling between Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire, it seemed to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woodward (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 2:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did a google search for bonairexpress and one that came up is an as yet undeveloped site
www.bonairexpress.net

Are those of you using BonairExpress, or is it Bonaire Express; utilizing the old BonairExel website? Are the flight times accurate on the old site?

I flew Aruba/Bonaire last July and at that time BE was taking AmEx cards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5467) on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 1:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, their new site will likely be www.bonairexpress.an

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

E-mail from them is now coming from "@bonairexpress.an". The address provided by Jake presently redirects you to the older BonairExcel website, but I suspect that will change soon.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration