BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Bonairexel and luggage allowances
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: Bonairexel and luggage allowances
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Carlo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, May 5, 2005 - 1:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Guys,

I've tried to get a response from Bonairexel but of course no response...
The web site says that luggage is limited to:
Baggage allowance: 1 piece of baggage weighing at most 20 kg (44lbs)
Hand Baggage: 1 piece of hand baggage weighing at most 10 kg (22lbs)

They also say that:
Up to 10 kg of diving equipment per person may be taken along free of charge

Does this mean we each have to pack everything into 1 bag...our 10Kg of free dive luggage plus our 20Kg of clothes and crap plus our carry on? Or do they let you seperate the stuff out into 2 bags? They don't mention the charge for an extra bag...but I am guessing they charge it at the 5 ANG/Kg rate.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MONTY FORBESS (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, May 5, 2005 - 5:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

don't know the rules, but last year we went through curaco and checked in 4 large bags full of dive, and photo gear, oh yeah, a couple o pair of shorts too, did not have an extra charge or a problem witht he luggage, flight was delayed a good while though, and got to the island aftermidnight, buddy's had arranged a rental that we were to pick up at the airport and believe it or not they stayed open waiting for us, i thought that was great service on the rental agency and buddy's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #479) on Friday, May 6, 2005 - 7:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Steve, in order to be allowed the extra weight for dive gear you need to notify BE ahead of time either by phone or email. It has to be on your reservation though may not necessarily show up on your ticket. Last summer we were told that the 66lbs (limit plus allowance) had to be in one bag but when we checked in in Aruba there was a diver who had put his into 2 bags and it was allowed. We were actually well under the 66lbs even though we were going for a month as the amount of clothes needed on Bonaire is pretty minimal! Sorry that I do not know the extra charge rate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #130) on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 12:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I flew BE from Aruba on May 1st. My wife and I had two bags each, one with dive gear and the other with all else, plus a small carry on each. We were not charged any extra for the over weight amount. The flight left Aruba on time, made a 20 minute stop in Curacao, and arrived in Bonaire on time. All in all a pleasant experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Carlo (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 5:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just completed the trip with no issues. We were able to have just 2 checked bags plus 1 carry on each and 2 extra small pieces. We thought we might have a problem on the domestic portion as one bag weighed around 60lbs, but the lady at Continental check in said it wasn't a problem (I guess as we could have used 4 bags). Anyway, it was all fine. The only annoyance was having to go through all the layers of security at Aruba on the way back to the US, but that's nothing to do with Bonairexel (who still haven't responded to my email!)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration