BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Portland OR to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-08-10: Portland OR to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marat Tselnik (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, May 1, 2005 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

I am planning a trip from Oregon to Bonaire in December and so far the cheapest fare i found was $970 on American and it is overnight w/ 3 layovers.
Is now a bad time to buy tickets for Dec? Also, can anyone suggest an alternate route or airline that do not post through the usual search engines, e.g orbitz?
Thanks for any help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #709) on Sunday, May 1, 2005 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marat,

Welcome to BT! I suggest flying from Portland to Curacao or Aruba and then catch either BonairExpress or Divi Air (Curacao only) to Bonaire. Personally, I would wait until August, September timeframe to buy tickets. A lot of airlines have fall sales then. Best of luck!

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Sunday, May 1, 2005 - 10:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When we fly from Portland Oregon we take the AA "red eye" to Dallas/FortWorth which usually leaves right around mid-night. Get into DFW about 5:30AM, catch the AA flight to San Juan and the American Eagle to Bonaire arriving about 8PM. Granted, it has been a 15 months since our last trip to Bonaire so flight schedules have probably changed. We do the reverse trip on the way home - this itinerary has worked well for us in the past.

Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barton Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Sunday, May 1, 2005 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops, forgot to comment on ticket prices.

The price you mentioned does not seem too out of the ordinary for a flight from Portland. However, I haven't paid much attention to ticket prices the last couple of trips as we have been lucky and used our frequent flyer miles. I remember thinking after buying tickets for our first trip to Bonaire back in 1998 that the ticket price was pretty close to what we pay to get to Australia or Singapore :-).

Barton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #477) on Monday, May 2, 2005 - 12:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marat, if your travel is around the busy Christmas holidays this is not too early to book, especially if planning on using the AA flight from San Juan to Bonaire. These flights often sell out early. If you are going in early Dec and will not be traveling during the Christmas holidays you can probably wait til August and possibly get a better price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Maurita (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, May 5, 2005 - 1:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are flying from Portland to Bonaire on June 11th. Taking Alaska from Portland to LA (leaving Portland at 8pm) then Leaving LA on American Airlines at 11pm arriving in San Juan the next morning at 10am. We have a long layover in San Juan leaving San Juan at 6pm on American Eagle to Bonaire. Booked the whole trip through Alaskan Airlines. So from start to finish it is a full 24 hours....not taking into account time changes..
Best to book early...our return flight from San Juan to LA was full three months ago.
Anxious for our first trip to Bonaire in just over 4 weeks....
Maurita

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl Gibson (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Thursday, May 5, 2005 - 1:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marat,
We flew out of Portland last year and spent the two weeks over Christmas and New Year's in Bonaire this past year. We flew Frontier (they had a deal at the time) to Atlanta, spent the night and then flew AJ through MoBay to Bonaire. It is a long trip, but well worth it. We found it cheaper than flying the red-eye on AA through Dallas and Miami to Aruba two years before. However, $800-$1000 is pretty much the going price. I've never seen the whole route, no matter how I build it or what time of year or week, for less than $800. (And, trust me, I've been building them with every scenario I can come up with since the day I got back!!)

We booked our tickets last year in July, so now really isn't too early.

We are looking at trying the LA route with some combination of airlines for the two weeks beginning December 31.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration