BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AA Returns to 70 lbs.
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-01-01 to 2005-05-01: AA Returns to 70 lbs.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have heard that AA is now allowing 70 lbs. per person on international flights. I am not sure if the change has been posted yet on AA.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #117) on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 7:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The web site confirms 70 lbs.
http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml?anchorEvent=false#Dimensions,%20Weight%20and%20Number%20of%20Pieces

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #145) on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 9:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please note that the website mentioned by Ron says two checked bags per person, maximum 70 lbs. PER BAG, not per person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #118) on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 9:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

From the AA web site:

For flights to international destinations

2 pieces checked and one carry-on
Please note that one carry-on personal item (see "Carry-on Allowance") does not count toward the free bag allowance.

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.

Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each
One carry-on bag at 45 in/114 cm
The maximum "free" weight per checked bag is 70 lbs/32 kgs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Stanfield (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just flew to Bonaire last week with 70 pound bags and were told at the AA ticket counter both coming and going that the weight on international flights has been changed to 50 pounds for all tickets purchased after March 31, 2005. It would be a good idea to check shortly before your flight leaves. The weight decrease is an effort to cut fuel costs per the agents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Stanfield (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The 70 pounds for international flights from the US has been allowed for years on AA. They have not updated web site for recent changes based on ticket purchase date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5439) on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, they did update it around March 1st to reflect it would drop to 50 lbs. for tickets after that date, but a couple of weeks ago, they changed the site again to remove that restriction.

The agent you spoke to was acting on the old information. (I should add that I confirmed the flip flop on policy with AA's international desk last week, since I fly AA from and to Bonaire once or twice a month, and luggage allowance is really important to me - the agent on the phone acknowledged that they had shift to 50 lbs. and then back again recently, but was not aware of the reason why).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim McCabe (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if by "international" they mean all legs in the trip must be international. Going to Bonaire typically means one or more domestic legs, then a final international leg. It would be pointless if the limit on the first two legs is 50lbs., then the final is 70 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeni VanDusen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim - I just got back from Bonaire. Flew from Sacramento to Dallas to San Jose, then to Bonaire. My gear bag weighed 48 lbs. and my husbands bag weighed 56 lbs. We had no problems. A word of caution though, the overhead bins on American Eagle planes are VERY small. My husbands backpack barely fit. I have a computer carry-on bag with several compartments that didn't fit overhead, though it did fit within the carry-on bag allowances listed on the website. They wanted me to put it underneath the plane (not check the bag, but I think they called it valet service). I didn't want to since it had my laptop in it, so I shoved it under the seat.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration