BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: American from SJU
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: American from SJU
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 3:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am returning to Bonaire for the 8th time in October. Used freq. flyer miles on Delta to get to San Juan and flying AA for $209 to BON.

Any news on the reliability of the AA flights recently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Look for the other discussion threads about American further on down the list. Just hope you don't have any problems since they don't have any personnel/infrastructure in place on Bonaire! They definately have some problems since some of the flights tend to be over booked and if yours arrives late into SJU you may be SOL for several days! Unfortunately, their flight schedule - every other day- is a BIG PROBLEM. Even better yet, if you have any dive/medical related problems and need to return on a later date - good luck getting rebooked since no one is typically at the airport, there is no number to call, and when you do reach someone they don't know what to do! Even if you call the AA office on Curacao. Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 9:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

First, I arrive 6 hours early into SJU there and back. This was done purposely. Also, there are literally dozens of flights to and from the US and SJU. Delta alone has another 3 or 4 after my late afternoon flight.

Second, they don't fly every other day. They fly to Bonaire on 4 days including FRI, SAT, SUN. Not a big problem, since I fly on FRI, giving me two chances to return if problems.

Third, they have US number (they are an affliate of the largest US airline). It's no trick to call the US. It is a trick to get anything done calling ALM or Air Jamaica or Air Aruba (may they rest in peace, NOT!).

Finally, I am not a pauper and if emergency strikes, I can pull out the old AMEX card and book a flight to the US with ALM. They over book flights, true. But I remember sitting in Curacao, forced to stay overnight for the morning flight to Bonaire and getting them to put me on standby for the last flight to Bonaire. They did it even though they said it was overbooked by a dozen or more. I finally got on a plane with at least 30 empty seats! I insisted that they get my four companions on the plane and we all flew to Bonaire with another 25 seats empty!

You sound like an ALM employee trying to scare off custmers from the new guy in town (AA). I have been to Bonaire 7 times before, at Xmas three times, the busiest time of year. I know how to go with the flow, etc. I have had problems on every single trip that included ALM. Air Jamaica was perfect start to finish last year, but inconvenient for me since it requires a 4 hour drive to their closest service to me in the states.

There is very little on the list about AA flights, which is why I asked in the first place.

Would like to hear from someone who knows a little first hand knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 12:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff,

There are 32 messages currently on the thread 'Getting to Bonaire:Reports on American Eagle flights since...' My experience was good--explained there. Jake and Linda had a bad one, also words there and under 'Trip Reports'. My daughter had a perfect trip northbound 3 weeks ago with 2 teenagers; she is returning today so I will report that after it happens. And on the kids return next week.

AE does not have a findable rep on the island at present--the staff at flight arrival and departure wear ALM uniforms with AE neck-pendant badges. Rumor has it that there will be a formal agent on island in the near future--strange it takes this long but who knows. There is one message set about non-responsiveness to telephone calls by AA US--read and decide for yourself.

It appears that AE gives choice and incentive to AJ and ALM (am I an optimist???) and has had some difficulty from using non-dedicated staff on island but my feeling is that it is the best bet at present: perhaps a lifelong attraction to AA based on good experiences does bias me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 7:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Personally, I never book two separate airlines to get someone unless there is a partnership. I am sure you will be set. Tell us all about your trip when you return. Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 8:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie,

Did you use the words you wanted to at 0709 am?? '...to get someone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I typically don't use two airlines either, but have many times to great success. I have even checked bags all the way thru with two airlines that were not partners.

However, in this case it was the only way to get there for $209 (x4 saved us about $1600 - $2000).

Also, I left lots of room in between flights and will check bags to SJU, pickup and redeposit with AA.

Glenn, there are lots of messages, but most were comments on other people's trips or other people's comments. Only 3 or 4 different expierences on AA flights seem to be included. I know it's new so we need some time to build a history.

As a Bonaire fanatic, I am very willing to try another way to get there and will write all about it when I return.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie,

Don't the US airlines have baggage transfer agreements at domestic airports pretty generally?? Or is that your 'partnership'??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 12:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

With this weekend's flights, AA/AE is coming up on 22 round trips since 2 June. I gather the load factor is pretty good so many people have flown. Lack of messages may just mean few problems. 'No news is good news'???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 11:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

For all the hassles we've had with AA this year, the one thing I can say about them is that once you make them aware of a problem, they will work hard to solve it. And, when a problem has occurred, they will also admit their error. Neither are situations I've experience with ALM (except for when I call one of the top people in Miami, whom I happen to know, circumventing the regular customer dis-service channgels).

I should mention that upon our arrival in NH Friday night at Linda's folks, I found a letter waiting for us from American, apologizing for the delays we experienced in Chicago a couple of weeks ago (not even the San Juan part for which I will be writing a short letter), and giving us 7,000 frequent flyer miles each as a form of apology for the inconvenience. I've never seen that from ALM or AJ for that matter.

Part of the problems we have experienced with AA also have to do with not being very familiar with Bonaire as a destination (for AA employees not on Bonaire), and not being very familiar with the Sabre system (for Bonaire Air Services staff on Bonaire supporting AA). Both these thing will work themselves out over time.

So, as I've said before, plan for the worst, and then be happy with the result no matter what it is.

Oh, and one more benefit of AA now (not for the ATR 72 planes from BON to San Juan though) is the extra leg room in coach. ALM seems to have lost that on the plane they are flying between Miami and Curacao, and I can't comment on AJ because I've never flown them in coach.

Jake

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration