BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Future of BonairExpress?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-01-01 to 2005-05-01: Future of BonairExpress?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lisandro (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In the Dutch press and Antillean press there was some information today that the local company BonairExpress is encountering problems, and they are thinking of suspending all flights out of Bonaire by tomorrow. Can someone on the island confirm these information I'm receiving over here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1741) on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard the same AFTER I bought a ticket this AM to go to Aruba tomorrow. I called Bonaire Exel and was told all is a go tomorrow. I have to be sure as I need to come home TOMORROW NIGHT..EGADS..

Does Divi fly the Aruba route yet?? How would I get home if BE folds tomorrow again??

:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #675) on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Say it isn't so!!!! I just booked my son and a friend, they are suppose to connect in Aruba tomorrow! Oh no!

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1354) on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 5:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OMG Sakes!!! This is very, very, disturbing news!
I hope this is just a very bad rumor. Don't know if I could take another airline that goes to Bonaire with problems too! I think we all should form an airline from BT and we all could take turns working on the island transporting people to and from the abc islands. Of course, I do like to dream a lot I'm told. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lisandro (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 5:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It seems like Air Exel based in Holland has put a claim on Dutch Eagle Express bank accounts, the Extra had two articles today stating that this is a serious situation and it can be that all of the island of the Netherlands Antilles could be without any air connection by the end of the week. The only alternative on the Bonaire Curaçao route would be Divi Divi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #107) on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 9:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This just gets worse. I booked on the old Bonaire Exel months ago for flights to Bonaire from Aruba on May 1 , returning on May 27 , and paid by credit card. The airline has changed names and now may not be in service. I can recoup through the credit card but that is little help if I end up stuck in Aruba. Please keep me informed about the status of Exel/Express/Whatever. Rant off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Bucklin (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 11:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are supposed to fly there on 4/7 returning on 4/16. Up in the air, no pun intended, now. 5 of us meeting in MIA and connecting through Curacao. What to do what to do???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 1:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

DiviDivi from Curacao...couldn't be easier!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Riggs (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 8:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ive been reading all the posts in this section and in a few others...plus on some other boards about how difficult it is to get to bonaire. I went a few months ago and it was no fun transportation wise.

What I dont understand is how an island...country....who's bread and butter is diving would allow this to happen. I loved bonaire but it has slid down my list of places to go considering all the hassles in getting there and getting back home.....if you are that lucky....not to mention luggage lost.

Maybe I am just a little too simple....but I would try to get an airline in there that worked and understood customer service.

Just my little rant.....never mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3946) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 1:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rich,

The Bonairian airspace is controlled by the Curaçao airport. Also Curaçao is in control of many things. I think the Bonaire government is willing to get a direct flight from the States, but they have to ask Curaçao, and that might be a problem. Just my 2 cents.

Martin
(who is lucky having a non-stop 9 hrs flight directly from Amsterdam to Bonaire once or twice a day... :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Cooper (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am waiting to hear anything about Excel Air/Dutch Eagle. I am booked on a 10:00pm flight from Aruba to Bonaire on Saturday April 2.Kelly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lisandro (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 3:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seems like BonairExpress will keep on flying, the claim put in by AirExel of 3 Million Euro's has been denied by a local judge in Curaçao yesterday. AirExel based in Holland itself is currently in a chapter 11 face and may not fly no more, they are trying to restart their operations in April. Let's hope that this marks the end of an ongoing fight between the Exel Aviaton Group and the Dutch Eagle Express Group

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3947) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, from todays Bonaire reporter:

quote:

Bonaire is to have a new airline servicing both the US and Europe, with an operational start planned for January 1, 2006. On the very spot where Bonaire’s first airstrip was built some 70 years ago, on the road to Rincon, Dutch air tycoon Erik Aviator, former partner of Bonaire businessman Nick Sandcastle, revealed his plans for a new airline, dubbed Bonaire Historic Airways (BHA). “The trend toward ever faster and cheaper air travel is about to reverse itself,” declares Erik, “same as happened with transatlantic ocean liners which now ply the leisure cruise trade.” BHA will employ small, lavishly fitted aircraft, probably Fokker 50s or 70s, seating 12 in grand luxury, using Bonaire and the Dutch island of Texel as home bases. The whole trip will take three days, with stops at St. Maarten, Hilton Head Island, Bermuda, the Azores, Madeira, Jersey (Channel Islands) and then Texel, all islands, and the same route back. The price will be around US$4,500 one way, return by commercial airliner. “We have already dozens of advance bookings,” says Erik. “We plan to build our own modest airstrip and accommodations on Klein Bonaire and have requested permission from the Island Government, as this project will greatly enhance the tourist attraction of Bonaire without harming the pristine beauty and delicate ecological balance of Klein Bonaire. We hope to have the permits for a 1 km. strip and one-story high control tower by mid June.” This coming Easter Friday Erik Aviator and his local partners plan to show the actual location of the strip on Klein Bonaire to any interested outsiders. Meeting place is the shacks on the east shore of Klein, meeting time is 10 am. Bring your own boat and refreshments. C.dK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6024) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is an outrage!!!! Next they will want to put a 36 hole golf course on Klein and call Las Klein.. What will all the turtles do???? OMG the poor baby turtles......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1638) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Martin, Is that a joke? I thought Klein had been saved from development.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #268) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't get it. I thought the agreement made in 1999 made Klein a part of the park system thereby protecting it from development. Am I wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Why even go to Bonaire when they have such great destinations as Hilton Head. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1640) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marcus, I am calling a friend on Bonaire who was active in the drive to raise money to preserve Klein.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #269) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom: Great. Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1260) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Umm. That was the April Fools issue of the Bonaire Reporter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Epley (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Easter Friday...April 1st...April Fools Day!

April Fools Day is well known in the States. Is it popular as well in Europe. I assume that is where it originated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Epley (BonaireTalker - Post #86) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Google is a wonderful thing...

April Fool's Day is one of the most light hearted days of the year, yet it stems from a serious subject—the adoption of a new calendar.

A Traditional New Year's

Ancient cultures, including those as varied as the Romans and the Hindus, celebrated New Year's Day on April 1. It closely follows the vernal equinox (March 20th or March 21st.) In medieval times, much of Europe celebrated March 25, the Feast of Annunciation, as the beginning of the new year.

In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII ordered a new calendar (the Gregorian Calendar) to replace the old Julian Calendar. The new calendar called for New Year's Day to be celebrated Jan. 1. Many countries, however, resisted the change. In fact, some European countries held out for centuries (Scotland until 1660; Germany, Denmark, and Norway until 1700; and England until 1752).

Many French Refuse

In 1564 France adopted the reformed calendar and shifted New Year's day to Jan. 1. However, many people either refused to accept the new date, or did not learn about it, and continued to celebrate New Year's Day April 1.

Other people began to make fun of these traditionalists, sending them on "fool's errands" or trying to trick them into believing something false.

April Fish

The French came to call April 1 Poisson d'Avril, or "April Fish." French children sometimes tape a picture of a fish on the back of their schoolmates, crying "Poisson d'Avril" when the prank is discovered.

Great Britain Accepts the Calendar

In 1752, Great Britain finally changed over to the Gregorian Calendar, and April Fool's Day began to be celebrated in England and in the American colonies.

Pranks and jokes are of course still popular on this day—not to mention the rest of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1744) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

BE left on time at 7 AM and I got to Aruba on time..left on time and home on time..flawless..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13348) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, is that an April Fool's post? or did it really go flawless...LOL...

I'd like to see a picture of the landing strip on Klein...oh, and I'm with Jim..Hilton Head? It would be great to have touchdowns in all those places going to Bonaire...gee...it might just add another 12 hours or so for me when I go!

Martin...9 hours straight with no stops...you are just a bad bad bad boy...rub it in dude...rub it in...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1746) on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 7:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, it was great...I kid u not..I am not an April Fools prankster ...and it's too early..haa...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1661) on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Folks, I have to admit that my first post after Martin made his March 30, 2005 - 4:47 pm post was real. That little devil got me early.

Martin, I am going to send you the bill for the 22 minute long distance call to my buddy Bart. It could have been much shorter, hence much less expensive had he stopped laughing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3950) on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK Tom, I'll send you a bill for the fact that I had to clean the bounced mails from you, so I think we are even... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1664) on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay Martin, it is a deal:-{)}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3952) on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 12:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

:D

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration