BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Political Riots in Jamaica
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Political Riots in Jamaica
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wilson on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since I will be traveling to Bonaire via Montego Bay in the near future, I am a little concerned about the civil unrest in Jamaica. Just this week, 20 people were killed in Kingston in politically motivated riots. I heard that there really hasn't been much rioting in Montego Bay, and it has calmed down in Kingston over the last few days. The U.S. State Department put out a travel advisory to Americans travelling to Jamaica.

Does anyone have any have any knowledge about the political situation and general level of safety in Montego Bay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John,

If you look at a map you'll see that Montego Bay and Kingston are on opposite sides of Jamaica.

Kingston has had problems with violent crime for years, with the latest eruption just part of a trend for that area.

Montego Bay is much more tourism driven, and also as a result doesn't suffer from quite the same socio-economic problems as Kingston - pick up a copy of the Gleaner (a Jamaican newspaper) - they are on-line at http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/ as well to get a sense of the issues.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The government of Jamaica understands the value of tourism to the island economy and has isolated the north side tourist area from the island doings for many years. I would think that the Montego Bay area will stay ok. I suspect any unruly element would not want to excite the 'feds' as the Kingston element did--same harsh result, I expect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wimberly on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 9:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Question - Are you staying in Montego Bay or just transiting through the airport? The level of comfort required for me would tend to be higher if I were going to be moving around the area, than if I were going to hanging around the airport for however long it takes between connections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz Ginocchio on Friday, July 13, 2001 - 10:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi! Just flew through Montego Bay on this past Saturday and had no problem. Everything safe and sound at the airport!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julie Miller on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 5:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been to Jamaica multiple times, traveled virtually the entire island, and never had any problem whatsoever, even on the trip I took by myself. There is always political violence in Jamaica when they have elections; it's a weird part of the local culture. But by definition, this type of violence is targeted at Jamaicans of the opposite persuasion, not tourists. In addition, most of it takes place in parts of Kingston no tourist should EVER go near. If I were going to Jamaica in an election year, I'd stay out of Kingston entirely and out of the residential (i.e., nontourist) parts of Mo Bay. Any other time, the only places I categorically would not go are the slum areas of Kingston. I could add some advice about how to interact successfully with Jamaicans, but this is already too long, so I'll finish by pointing out that the idea of local thugs penetrating security at an international airport and infiltrating the passenger transit area is almost comic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I live near washington DC... and while we don't ht that in a day I thnk we manage that type of a toll in a month I haven't seen a state department posting about traveling through national airport.. and for those of us traveling through MIA, heck I have been waiting for a connection when they were having riots to match Jamicia.... (OK maybe without the death toll which may comment on marksmanship)....As pointed out through out the thread .. you are talking a decent distance netween the problem and the airport.. enjoy your flight...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration