BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: What to do during long layover in San Juan
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-01-01 to 2005-05-01: What to do during long layover in San Juan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,
Less than three weeks until our trip to Bonaire!

I wonder if any of you have suggestions for things to do during our long layovers in San Juan. We have about 4 hours on the way to Bonaire and about 6 hours on the way home. Our actual time in San Juan will be less than that because we have to get off the plane, collect our luggage, etc., but we don't want to spend all our time loitering in the airport.

Also, is there anywhere to store luggage while we are away from the airport?

Suggestions appreciated!

Amy & Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benji Beaujon (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 5:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Amy, next to the american airlines counter there is a place to store lugage for about 5 bucks an hour i would suggest that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #443) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 5:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amy and Mike, if you are not changing airlines you will not have to collect your luggage. If you do need to collect your luggage or have carry-ons that you would like to leave there is a baggage check on the upper floor near the American counters. It is right at an entrance/exit and next to a beauty salon. You will need to show them your passport and ticket. We have always paid by the piece but perhaps it has changed to by the hour as Benji suggests. When leaving luggage be sure to check what time they close.

Our layovers in San Juan have also been long and our favorite thing to do is hop in a cab (available outside the lower level near baggage claim) and go to Isla Verde. It is a 5 minute ride and costs 8 dollars one way. Isla Verde is a nice beach with several hotels that have beach side restaurants and bars that are open to non-guests. There are also vendors who rent lounge chairs for 3 dollars. It is easy to change into a bathing suit or shorts at a restaurant or even the airport. You might also consider a cab to Old San Juan (about 20 minutes and 16 dollars one way)where you can wander the streets, shops and restaurants. When returning to the airport be sure to leave enough time to go through security again.

Looking forward to getting away from the Minnesota winter? My daughter thought it was cold growing up in Vermont until she went to college in the Twin Cities!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13094) on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amy, Susan's right about Isla Verde. The Hampton Inn is not on the beach, but they have the best burgers in the world at their BBQ hut by the pool...in fact, that's where our first stop is going to be on our layover next month:-) Then over to the beach restaruant at the Wyndham (sp) and have a couple cocktails and hang out:-)

One thing about Old San Juan, traffic getting back to the airport could be messy from there, so make sure you allow at least an hour to get back to the airport. Also, if you like Cuban food, the restaurant just a couple doors down from the Hampton Inn has the best, it's next to the Cockfighting arena (yes, I'm not joking, there really is one there, on the outside of the building it says "Cockfights" and it's hoppin' at night (didn't go there but drove by it twice daily for 6 weeks!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #445) on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, on one of our layovers years ago we were treated to lunch at the Cuban restaurant by a friend who is from San Juan. We were glad she was with us because the menu was in Spanish and the waitstaff did not speak English. Food was yummy as I remember. Will tuck away your hint about the Hampton Inn for our summer trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all for the great suggestions! Without them we might have spent quite a few long boring hours in the airport.

Yes, Susan, we are really excited about getting out of Minnesota for a week. By the time March rolls around, we are sick and tired of cold and snow! We like to take a winter vacation to somewhere tropical. Ever since our first trip to Little Cayman about 10 years ago we are hooked on the blue water and warm sun of the Caribbean.

We do have to switch airlines in San Juan, both ways. We are on a non-stop Northwest flight between Minneapolis and San Juan, and American Eagle between San Juan and Bonaire. Dumping our luggage somewhere for a few hours would allow us more freedom to escape from the airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2293) on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, I believe that would be the Hamp-TONE Inn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13097) on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amy, my brother and sister in law live in MN...she was born and raised there...too cold for me!

Kelly, yes, you are correct, it is the Hamp-TONE Inn! lol! Remember when I told you to get your camera ready after I picked you up at the airport, so when you saw the cockfight building you could take a pic cause I knew you wouldn't believe it? LOL!

Oh, the "gang" is meeting us at the airport and tooling us around...I told Ed that I wouldn't get in his car unless he had his "spoiler" back on, I'd make the kids ride in it...LOL! Oh, and that we wanted a band and lots of purple balloons when they picked us up...hee hee...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2296) on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You'll have so much fun ! Yes I still have the cockfighting picture... it makes me laugh...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13101) on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

kelly, that's the plan...make some nice memories of that place...I think the kids will enjoy it ;-) Oh, and I'm ordering the garlic potatoes no matter how full I am! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 1:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all!

Just returned Sunday from a week on Bonaire (heaven!), and I took your advice regarding the long layover in San Juan.

We took a cab to the Water Club hotel in Isle Verde. What a cool place, literally! It has to be the hippest hotel around. Very "mod" decor, and panes of glass with water rolling down. We ate breakfast in the restaurant. The food was first class.

Then, we rented beach chairs ($4.00 each), and sat back to enjoy the warm sun, and cool breeze. It was our last chance to enjoy some tropical weather before returning to Minnesota.

The Water Club also has a rooftop pool with a bar, but we didn't go up there to see it. I guess there is a 360-degree view from up there. If we ever stay overnight in San Juan, we will look into staying at the Water Club.

Thanks again for all your input! I was a wonderful way to spend a long layover, and it sure beat hanging out in the San Juan airport for half a day (What a ZOO that place is!!!)

Amy and Mike

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration