BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: BonairExel is transition
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-01-01 to 2005-05-01: BonairExel is transition
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 1:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From reading posts on Airliners.net, I have gathered that the Exel Aviation Group is in serious legal trouble in Holland. However, KLM is hoping to take over BonaireExel and CuracaoExel and rebrand them as BonairExpress and CuracaoExpress, respectively. There is word that KLM will get some MD-80's (which are cheap and efficent) to begin regional service. But, it's island time, so no specific date had been set. In my opinion, any competition in Antilles travel is good. I just hope that KLM is thinking "US" in its flight plan. Clearly Americans and Canadians are the main bulk of tourists and we have the money to travel to the islands, thus we want service from the US. I know that San Juan, Caracas, and Santo Domingo are important routes, but we need and want American routes!!! MIA, ATL, EWR, DTW, ORD, BOS, PHL, and others are important and provide important gateways to KLM's Skyteam members: Delta, Northwest, and Continental. Thus, ATL, EWR, IAH, DTW, and CVG should be recognized. Also, in the wake of Air Jamaica's bankruptcy, I am curious how long JM will serve BON.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #229) on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting post. The thing that concerns me about direct flights from the U.S. is the possibility that Bonaire could become overwhelmed by tourists because it would be much easier to get there; on the other hand, I've also speculated that the lack of beaches would prevent that regardless of direct U.S. flights - I would hope so anyway. Just food for thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marucs,
I agree that many direct flights to Bonaire may be a threat to the Bonaire we love, but back in the 1990's ALM had a weekly non-stop flight to MIA and ATL, and this posed no threat. Also, AA had a non-stop flight from JFK, but this only lasted a very short time. If Bonaire/CuracaoExpress takes to the skies, I am sure that Curacao will get the US flights before Bonaire simply because there are more people and tourists in Curacao. An early morning flight leaving from EWR with a stopover at CUR and then onto Bonaire would be a joy!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fiona Rattray (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #284) on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Back in 1999 the now defunct charter airline Canada 3000 flew directly from Toronto to Curacao then over to Bonaire and back to Toronto. I loved it, and I don't remember Bonaire being overrun by Canadian tourists. I'm guessing the throngs of folks from the cruise ships make more of an impact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #235) on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From the St.Maarten Daily Herald ... same kind of articles in all the local news papers, but of course not in English as this one

http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/h220/exel220.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #571) on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 7:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte,

Thanks, this is confirmed as we met some people at the airport today that were suppose to leave this morning on BE, but didn't. This was around 3pm. We did however see a BE plane land in Bonaire just after 3pm.

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - Artist Bonaire Creations (BonaireTalker - Post #2055) on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 8:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let's not forget the 2 weekly charter flights out of Boston back in the late 1990's at the same time there were at least 2 flights on ALM to the US. One or two direct flights to the USA per week would be wonderful.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration