BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AJ or AA to bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-01-01 to 2005-05-01: AJ or AA to bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 7:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

we are planning a trip in sept. any input to which carrier to use. AJ flys out of houston with connection in MB but only 35 min to catch the plane out. AA flys out of dfw with 1:50 min layover in SW. has anyone used these carriers recently and what problems. AJ is 300 bucks cheaper but concerned whith short layover. our last flight to bonaire 5yrs ago was direct from DFW. looks like direct flights are gone.
thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1377) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Monte, Welcome to Bonaire Talk!

Between AA and AJ, I would choose AJ.

Air Jamaica is known for holding connecting flights for their passengers. Also, as their terminal is rather small, making the connection should not be an issue.

Regarding American Airlines through San Juan, after three terrible experiences in a row over one and a half years, I will not fly that route. I have however, had good luck taking American Airlines to Aruba, then using BonaireExel for transportation to Bonaire. It cost a few hundred dollars more, but we got there, with our luggage, on the day we were scheduled to arrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Zeneski (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just got back from a great trip using AA. MIA-San Juan- Bon and back. No problems at all - just pay close attention to announcements at the gates in San Juan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Long (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Monte, we live in Houston and have used AJ many times and have not had problems connecting planes to Bonaire. One more good thing is you arrive in Bonaire at 2:30 PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Monte, You might want to be aware, however, that in the last few months, AJ has cancelled flights to and from Bonaire and had a number of other difficulties. The word is that their CEO and Board have all quit, that they are on the verge of bankruptcy (like every other airline), and are having operational difficulties. I prefer AA even though they are not always on time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #224) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have used the AA route through San Juan for the last 4 years with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan R. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #350) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have used AJ four times in the past three years. On one return flight, three years ago, we did miss the connection in MB. There were some equipment issues on the Boston leg delaying the departure from Bonaire. AJ put us up for the night at an all-inclusive resort and flew us out the next morning. Also gave us each a $75.00 off coupon good for our next airfare purchase. Have had no qualms about using AJ since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4605) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 6:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Uh, oh....I'll have to go read our travel/trip interruption insurance coverage to see if we get reimbursed if AJ folds....I certainly hope they don't as we love flying with them...have used them for all of our trips to Bonaire.

Does anyone know of any "real" info on their situation/status at present? I'd hate to start a panic on the board without benefit of some really factual info.

Pauline, can you help us out any further? Thanks! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Israel A. Sanchez (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #146) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 7:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From the AJ website. I guess this is as much as we'll know for now. Coach Izzy
_________________________________________________________________________________

Statement by Dr. the Hon. Omar Davies

on the Intervention by the Government of Jamaica in Air Jamaica

Thursday, December 23, 2004

1. The current situation of Air Jamaica, in particular the airline’s debt to the Government of Jamaica and other creditors, has received a great deal of publicity in recent weeks. The details of the actual level of indebtedness and the main reasons for this were articulated on November 19, by Minister Burchell Whiteman, Minister of Information, in response to questions posed in the Senate.

2. As is accepted by everyone, the airline industry worldwide faces serious challenges. Several of the major North America airlines are either in, or on the verge of, bankruptcy. The problems of the industry have been exacerbated by steep increases in fuel prices during this year. Not surprising, these factors have impacted negatively on Air Jamaica’s operations.

3. In recognition of the increase in indebtedness, significant operating difficulties as well as the generic challenges facing the industry, the Government and the majority shareholders, the AJAG Group, have been involved in intense discussions about the future of the airline. These deliberations have been aimed at rationalizing the GOJ’s shareholding in the company as well as taking steps to fundamentally restructure operations. To this end, the management consulting firm, SABRE Airlines Solutions, was contracted to review Air Jamaica’s operations and to make concrete recommendations on the steps needed to rectify the situation and place the company on the road to financial viability.

4. At this point, I wish to say something about the tenure of AJAG Group as majority shareholders. There can be no question that the group, under the Chairmanship of the Hon Gordon “Butch” Stewart, has firmly established the airline as a reliable, world class operation, which has opened up new gateways, stimulating increased visitor traffic to Jamaica. Mr. Stewart has personally dedicated a great deal of time and energy in marketing the airline as a national asset. This has been done whilst maintaining the highest safety standards and providing an improved quality of service.

5. The Government of Jamaica has consistently maintained, through statements by the Prime Minister and also by myself, the Administration’s commitment to the National Airline. This commitment is based both on the recognized value to the economy in general, and in particular its impact on tourism. This sector is on a growth path which, apart from a significant expansion of room capacity, will have positive spin-offs for several other areas of the economy.

6. After weeks of dialogue, joint recognition of the enormity of challenges which face the airline and the explicit desire of the majority shareholders to return to their core business have led the parties to agree to the following:

a) The injection of (US)$20 million by the majority shareholders as well as the facilitation of additional credit of (US)$25 million by the GOJ. These resources are to partially address the operational losses being recorded by the airline; and

b) The Government of Jamaica will assume full responsibility for the airline, effective today, December 23, 2004. Concurrently, all AJAG members of the Board of Directors and Air Jamaica Holdings Limited will resign with immediate effect.

7. I now turn to the new interim Board which has been appointed for an initial six-month period lasting to June 30, 2005. Dr. the Hon Vincent Lawrence will occupy the position as Executive Chairman for that period with his priority mandate to oversee the restructuring activity and to recruit and appoint an appropriately qualified CEO with extensive airline experience.

8. Supporting Dr. Lawrence will be Mr. Aubyn Hill who will head the Restructuring Office which the shareholders have agreed to establish. This office will have the immediate responsibility of implementing the new structure for the airline which will allow it to move toward a path of viability. Mr. Hill has a distinguished track record, particularly in the restructuring of companies.

9. The other members of the Interim Board are (i)Hon. Derick Latibeaudiere (ii) Mr. Keith Senior (iii) Mr. Paul Pennicoke, Executive Director, JTB (iv) Ms. Millicent Hughes, Accountant General (v) Mr. Aubyn Hill (vi) Mr. O. K. Melhado (vii) Mr. Noel Sloley and (viii) Hon Noel Hylton.

10. The Long Term: In looking at the long-term, I wish to reiterate the Government’s position that this Administration has no desire to retain permanent ownership and control of Air Jamaica. Our objective is to restructure the entity, such that it will be able to attract adequate equity capital from private investors. Our action at this time has been taken in the interest of the national economy.

11. I wish to reassure the country, the traveling public, the airline’s travel partners, the tourism sector and Air Jamaica staff members that the Administration is committed to a viable national airline which will serve as a major catalyst for the economy.

12. I wish to reiterate that the discussions between the AJAG Group and the Government of Jamaica team have been conducted in the most amicable way with our common objective being to ensure that the airline is made viable, even whilst maintaining the excellent standards which have been established. In this regard, Mr. Stewart has given his personal commitment that he and members of his team are available to work with us in whatever way possible to ensure the success of the airline as we enter this new stage. This offer of cooperation is one which I deeply appreciate and gladly accept.

13. Finally, to all persons who presently do business, or plan to do business with the airline, let me assure you that there will be no disruption of any sort of the operations of the airline. With cooperation between all the critical players, the transition will be seamless and Air Jamaica will indeed “Soar to New Heights”.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Israel A. Sanchez (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #147) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 7:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another one. Coach Izzy

PRESS BRIEFING – RESTRUCTURING OF AIR JAMAICA

Thursday December 23, 2004 at 10:00 a.m. Ministry of Finance and Planning

STATEMENT BY DR THE HON. VINCENT. LAWRENCE

SALUTATIONS….

I am sure the media are aware that I have been one of the Government’s representatives on Air Jamaica’s Board of Directors for some time now. As such, I can profess some amount of knowledge on the airline.

Over the past three months, questions have been raised in the public arena on the role of government members in relation to the airline’s debt situation in general and specifically its debt to government. I wish to state that,

despite the insistence of the Directors that regular payments must be made, the airline’s management was unable to do so, due to the continuing high losses.

The fact is that the airline has been virtually insolvent for a number of years and has had to rely heavily on government’s financial support through direct loans, credit facility guarantees and periodic debt to equity conversions. Consequently, discussions have been in train for sometime on the most effective and efficient methodology to apply to ensure the operation of the airline, without the continued heavy reliance on government, and by extension, additional cost to the taxpayer. Cost cuts were identified and several successfully implemented, but important areas such as employee cost savings, for example, salaries and related costs, were not achieved.

It is against this background that we undertook a due diligence in the operations of the airline, as well as the development of a business plan by reputed international airline consultants, Sabre Airline Solutions, to find ways to improve the company’s operating performance.

Sabre has identified six critical operations-related areas that must be restructured and from which expense savings of approximately US 32 million can be realized in 2005 and subsequent years. The areas are:

Fuel conservation
Maintenance and engineering
Aircraft Lease Costs
Crew and staff remuneration
Network/route rationalization

Financial restructuring is therefore fundamental to the future viability of the airline. Consequently, all stakeholders, management, crew, ground staff, creditors, suppliers and government will have to make significant sacrifices and adjustments as we seek to bring viability and competitive market arrangements to the airline.

As the major source of funding for Air Jamaica, the Government has therefore undertaken the task of ensuring that the business plan objectives and debt restructuring are achieved within the shortest possible time.

Dr. Davis has announced the appointment of Mr. Aubyn Hill who will undertake the restructuring exercise. He will report to me directly on the implementation plan. The restructuring will be conducted in tandem with new management arrangements for the airline. It is envisaged that this exercise should take six months. In the interim, the airline will continue to honour its obligations to the traveling public. We wish to reiterate that all schedules, ticket purchases, agreements with travel agents and other partners are valid and will be honoured.

AIR JAMAICA WILL CONTINUE TO FLY DURING THE RESTRUCTURING PROCESS,

We are also now actively working on restructuring the management team to ensure continuity. We have been meeting with the current management of the airline and will continue these meetings with all categories of staff as well as the trade unions. As soon as these arrangements are finalized an announcement will be made.

I am sure some of the more investigative-oriented journalists among you will seek to recall the objectives of the divestment of the airline ten years ago. These were:

The establishment of a sound financial, commercial and managerial basis for the future sustained viable operation of the company;

The injection of adequate equity capital to relieve the company of its high debt servicing;

Reorganization of the Company to establish its operations on a prudent commercial basis, at internationally recognized standards of airline efficiency and with a view to becoming profitable;

Guaranteeing sustained continuing service having special regard to the needs of the tourist industry

Enabling the company to respond more effectively to the increasing competitive aviation environment.

The intervening period between 1994 and 2004 has been dynamic, with challenges in both the local, regional and international economic and aviation environments. Some of the original objectives have been fulfilled. Primary among them are the airline’s contribution to the tourism industry, its positioning as a competitor of note in the marketplace, and the collective national pride of Jamaicans at home and abroad in their airline.

It is therefore in recognition of these factors that the Government has taken the decision to temporarily assume responsibility for Air Jamaica to re-establish it on a sound financial footing and with the high quality of service for which it has become renowned under the management of AJAG, led by the Honourable Gordon ‘Butch’ Stewart and his team.

I know I speak for my fellow Directors, partners in the tourism, manufacturing and business sectors, as well as the general traveling public, in expressing our sincere appreciation for the tremendous work of the Company over the past decade, in repositioning the airline into a household word and a first choice for Jamaicans here and overseas as well as visitors to the island.

The mandate of the new Board is to maintain this position whilst pursuing viability through rightsizing, in order to realize operating surpluses and overall cost savings and thus achieve viability. It is our hope that when viability is achieved, this will encourage private investors to once again actively pursue equity in the airline.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, and may I use this opportunity to wish for you all a blessed and peaceful season and a prosperous 2005.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Birk (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 9:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm, this is probably why I haven't seen a refund for my Miami to Mo Bay that they cancelled. I call, they shuffle me around, no one seems to know what's going on. They promise someone will call me back, no one does, emails unanswered. Doesn't that sound like a government is directly involved? I will be in Bonaire Saturday, if they don't cancel that flight. Maybe a little sun will improve my attitude.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Birk (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Whoa, just got my phone bill for my calls to Air Jamaica in mo Bay. One call was $75. I would estimate $70 of that was on hold or being transferred. Maybe I should just cut my losses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kaye (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob: Would VOIP work to Jamaica?

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4606) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for posting the website information/bulletins, Coach. At least it sounds like AJ will continue to fly at least for the six month period in questions (Dec 23 and forward).

Let's all hope they can get it together, mon, and save AJ as it is a great way to fly with nice service, new craft (relatively new) and some good destinations....most importantly,Bonaire. Thanks, Coach...Carole

PS We're flying before the end of the 6 months....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4607) on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Monte, to respond to your original question, as mentioned by other folks AJ does generally tend to hold other connecting flights for their passengers. The airport is fairly small...at least it is mostly a lonnnnnggggg straight run to the next flight. You should be OK.

Welcome to Bonaire Talk!! Nice to have you visit with us! Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By monte pace (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 7:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for all the replys. i am going with AJ and take my chances for 300 bucks. i guess all the problems( no dive gear, missed flights etc.)
make us appreciate the diving that much more. the longer you dive the better you handle these delays and learn to pack luggage for survival.
thanks, monte

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrea & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #116) on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 4:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Monte, Check wit AJ again. Looks like the Houston to MoBay connection will be canceled on April 3,2005. New post early this morning concerning this.
Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #814) on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 5:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you have already bought AJ tickets, be sure to go to www.travelguard.com and buy trip insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1678) on Friday, February 4, 2005 - 5:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great idea Linnea..if you need anymore info on Travelguard, email me as I am a licensed agent for this company.

Ann
ann@bonairewindsurfing.com

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration