BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Do I have this right?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2005-01-01 to 2005-05-01: Do I have this right?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Adsit (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I are planning to visit in late June and early July. I have been reading through the posts and making calls to Bonaire Excel, who refused to talk to anyone who is not a travel agent. I would like to summarize what I have learned and get a confirmation or a correction, please.
1. Main plans:
We are going to use Frequent Flier miles to arrange a flight from Denver, CO, to Aruba, where we will stay about a week. We will use Frequent Flier miles to return to Denver from Bonaire after staying there about 10 days.
2. Getting from Aruba to Bonaire seems to be the trick. If I wish to purchase the tickets for Bonaire Excel ahead of time in the U.S., I must use a travel agent, and I am advised to use one of the few that is allowed to print paper tickets. Is this correct?
3. At the time of purchase, I need to identify us as divers to avoid overweight charges.
4. Since we will be in Aruba for nearly a week, is it better to just wait and make the Bonaire ticket purchase while we are there? Is there any need/adavantage to purchase ahead?
I appreciate any advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (BonaireTalker - Post #72) on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am doing exactly the same trip as you, FF miles to Aruba and back. I bought a Bonaire Exel ticket online from their web site. I have been trying to get a paper ticket ever since. Bonaire Exel has to date never answered an e-mail. Delta was recommended, but cannot get me a paper ticket. Carlson (travel agency) has been unable to get Exel to answer them. I would suggest the face to face route may be the ONLY way to get what you want. I've only got one night in Aruba before my flight to Bonaire, and I'm hoping for the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 6:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I spoke too soon. An agent of Carlson Travel in Sacramento just called me after calling (e-mail got no response)Bonaire Exel. The end result is they cannot get me a paper ticket. Exel said to go to the ticket counter in Aruba with our confirmation number in hand and it should be no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #447) on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 10:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, Welcome to BT !!! Sounds like a great trip. Read my profile...we're just across the "hill" from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #437) on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 11:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, since you will be in Aruba for a week and not in a rush to make a connecting flight on the same day I would suggest making your reservation on the BonairExel website and then purchasing it at the airport in Aruba when you arrive there. That way you will have a paper ticket in hand. If your luggage will be over the allowed weight for BE you should ask them when making your reservation to note that you are a diver and they will allow you up to 66 pounds per passenger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #700) on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 11:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you want a paper ticket in advance, contact Larry at Worlddive.com he CAN get you the ticket; no problem

however, if you are going to be in Aruba for a week, you can get it there...I'm not sure I would deal with the frustration of dealing with BE in Aruba...its worth the $20 fee that Larry will charge to get your ticket

as others have said, make sure you specify that you are a diver and request the additional wt allowance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrea & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #102) on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 10:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, read the thread just before this one. It looks like KLM is taking over Excel due to problems within Excel. Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Johnson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 4:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all,

After many hours of reading the discussions on Bonaire Talk, I’ve finally decided to visit Bonaire in March. Thanks for the very useful information you have shared, it has come in handy during my preparations!

I was all set to fly from Minneapolis to Aruba on a charter, then fly to Bonaire on BonairExel, but that’s where I hit a snag. Following the advice I’ve seen here, I had a Carlson-Wagonlit agency attempt to book the BE flight. No luck getting a paper ticket. The agent was able to contact BE directly yesterday and was told that I would have to visit the BE counter on arrival in Aruba and PAY CASH for my ticket. No other alternatives (other than swimming from Aruba to BE, hee hee!)

Given the rumors flying around about BE being taken over by KLM, it doesn’t really surprise me that tickets are available on a cash-only basis, but I am not going to risk my trip to Bonaire by trusting this shaky situation.

I have given up on BE as an alternative, and feel much safer flying through San Juan on American Airlines. Yes, it will be much more expensive, but I just don’t want to trust my trip “on a wing and a prayer” as my travel agent put it.

I’m sure the extra effort will be worth it once I get to Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #703) on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amy,

call Larry at WorldDive.com he CAN get the paper ticket... BE agents are usually the least informed (hard to believe based on U.S. standards)...Larry has gotten several paper tickets for me in the last few weeks...he knows how to do it 1-800-433-dive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1966) on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 11:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe I am just too cynical but isn't a travel agent's commission a percentage of the price you pay, more commission for more paid??? That has influenced some TA's. Ask yout TA to call for the paper ticket so you pay the lowest amount.

(Message edited by glenr on January 19, 2005)

(Message edited by glenr on January 19, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #706) on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen,

airlines quit paying a commission on fares completely several years ago to travel agents..they began phasing out of the commissions years before that....travel agencies really took it on the chin...good travel agents didn't allow the commission rate to influence the selection of flights...it was too easy for the consumer to check the rates on the internet and complain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 5:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just flew BE from Cur to Bon and back. We had a confirmation and bought our tickets with CC in Cur. It was no problem and they were very accommodating. We noted that those with paper tickets seemed to have no advantage over us with E-Mail confirmations.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration