BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: First-timer! Where do I start--New York to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-08-16 to 2004-12-31: First-timer! Where do I start--New York to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Lefurgey (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 5:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife, Linda, and I have never been to Bonaire. I have tried to book a flight through Delta and American. No luck. Do I have to buy a packaged tour? How and where do I start to get to Bonaire from New York. Any assistance will be appreciated. I need some Bonaire.
Dave Lefurgey
Hudson Falls, New York

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #410) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 5:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David, was the problem with American the dates you wanted or the price or your departure airport? You need to keep in mind that American does not fly into Bonaire every day. Have you looked at Air Jamaica? Again, they do not fly into Bonaire every day so you need some flexibility. Other possibilities are to fly to Aruba or Curacao and then take a local airline such as BonairExel or DiviDivi. We have never purchased a package, preferring to do our own air and lodging but there are several people here who will hopefully chime in because many have had good experiences with Caradonna and BonairePros. Good luck -- it is always an adventure getting to Bonaire but once you go you will always find a way back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanf (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1096) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 5:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Air Jamaica is great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #2051) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 5:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AA goes through San Juan about 3 times per week.

AirJamaica goes through Montego Bay 4 times per week. (AJ may have code shares with Delta)

The other option is using BonairExel to get to Aruba or Curacao and catch other major US carriers like United, USair, more AA flights, etc. out of a lot more city choices.

A tour operator would be able to do both air and hotel for you and of course, you get the benefit of their Bonaire experience. The BTers I'm sure would be happy to recommend their favorites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #111) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 6:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Caradonna Caribbean Tours at 1-800-328-2288 has always been able to find us very good airfare -- always significantly better than we were able to get on our own. I'm sure everyone there is great to work with, but we always work with Amy who definitely knows Bonaire (we met and dove with her one year at Buddy Dive) and always seems to be able to find some good deals. She can book your land as well as your air.

I would also heavily recommend Air Jamaica over any other carrier from NY if only for their schedule: you arrive on Bonaire mid-afternoon instead of early evening, and you depart Bonaire mid-afternoon instead of VERY early morning. Plus you get free champagne or Red Stripe beer or (my favorite) Ting Jamaican grapefruit soda.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #435) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 6:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David,

We live in NJ and have been flying to Bonaire for years from the northeast. I highly recommend the following:

Air Jamaica at www.airjamaica.com from either, Newark, JFK, Boston, etc.

The flight from Newark is effortless, with 1 stopover in Montego Bay. Flight leaves around 7:30am and you get into Bonaire around 3:30 pm.

You can also look on www.priceline.com, where you can get good last minute prices.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Lefurgey (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW! Thank you, everybody. I can't believe I received so many prompt responses. I'll follow up and let you know. You guys are really great! THANKS!
Peace,
Dave Lefurgey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #436) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 6:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok did some checking...If you can get to Boston Air Jamaica has a flight in March (I used 3-10-17 as example) for $619.00 r/t. This is a lot less then flying AA out of albany for over 1100!. Best of Luck!

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12736) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 6:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz, you should be resting...geez, you just had brain surgery woman! ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3718) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, well, nothing can stop Liz, that much I know for sure...

Liz, good to have you back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Hall (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1700) on Monday, December 6, 2004 - 7:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David, I always use the supersearch on http://travelzoo.com, get the best deal, then take it to pricline and bid way low (on our tickets anywhwere). I got tickets to Bonaire for $380, not last minute either. I know another regular poster here who also got that same airfare with priceline - and I'm not sure about hers, but ours was on AJ. Try it yourself, $380 may be "the lucky numbers". :-) Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #642) on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 12:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz...go to bed!!! Rest Drink fluids Wear jamz all day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrea & Dave Bartlett (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 2:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz, nice to have you back. How did the surgery go and are you doing ok? You have been in many peoples thoughts this past week. Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #438) on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 6:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all, surgery went well, as well as can be expected. Wally, Eva...drinking lots of bottled water, lounging is sweats all day...Andy and Dave, thanks so much for the thoughts, prayers, cards, etc. Can't wait to be back on Bonaire. Looks like around the 12- 13 of January for about 3 weeks. No diving (for at least 6 months minimum) or snorkling this trip, just lots of relaxation and "honey do's for Ed LOL!). Hope to see all soon! Stitches coming out on the 10th, then hair cut off soon after...I really could never see the extent of the incision or hair loss until after washing and Christopher took a picture with the digital camera...OMG..anyway, vanity out the window...getting hair all cut off short and wearing wonderful gift hats until it grows in evenly, maybe 3 months or so! Hugs to all!

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12752) on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz, glad to hear you are resting :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4410) on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't forget sun block on your sensitive head even when wearing the hats, Lizzie! Keep your head protected at all times when you return to Bonaire. I know you have already thought of that, but I feel better for tossing it out there! LOL. Hugs. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #875) on Thursday, December 9, 2004 - 3:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So very glad the operation went well Liz! Cann't wait to see you in your new place in May.If we can bring anything down for you , please let me know.Hugs to both of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #650) on Thursday, December 9, 2004 - 10:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi David...definately go from New York to Bonaire....and don't look back

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration