BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Paying for overweight from Aruba
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-08-16 to 2004-12-31: Paying for overweight from Aruba
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 9:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My scenario: I arrive in Aruba with two bags weighing 50 Lbs each. I want to fly BonaireExel to Bonaire. They limit weight to much less than that. Can I pay a fee per extra lb? Can I ship the extra bag weight as cargo? I seem to be having a hard time getting an answer from Exel. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #664) on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron,

they will take your bags and charge you a bag overweight fee at the check in counter....you won't need to ship your bag as cargo...make sure you advise BE in advance that you have dive equipment and have that fact noted on your reservation. Normal weight allowance is 44 lb (20 kg)...however, they will allow an extra 22 lb if you have the dive equipment fact noted on your ticket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2062) on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You are allowed 66 lbs total IF you advise them in advance that you are a diver. What I was told was that if you go over the weight limit, you can either pay for the overlimit, or your bag may have to wait until the next flight if the cargo is already at their full weight limit. I decided not to chance it since I only took one bag. I packed and unpacked about three times before I left Ohio.. lol...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #665) on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly,

the times I went thru Aruba on BE there was no option to have your bag wait until the next flight. Weight was not a problem since there were never more than 10 people on the plane. Its better to pay the $$ and keep your bags...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2064) on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 11:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, when I went through Aruba in July, the plane was full on both flights, and I had to fly standby on the second flight. It was cram packed! I totally agree it's better to pay the money and keep your bags, but someone had told me that you don't always get that option if the plane is full and your bags are largely overweight... maybe I got misinformation??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #666) on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 1:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly,

I could understand the weight balance problem if the flight were full...I've just never been on a BE flight that was even close to being full. BE charged me for extra weight even when the plane was empty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone remember what the actual overweight charge was in $$ per pound or $$ per kilo? Exel is being slow in their reply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Faddis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The info I was given is $6 for each 10 Kilos over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 10:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks RJ. That was just what I was after. Now if only I can get a confirmation from Exel...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2068) on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, that's just frustrating, to have to pay extra for the weight when the plane isn't even full. But, unfortunately, we are completely at their mercy, and my luck I'd end up in an Aruban jail or something for arguing... lol...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration