BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Overnight Layover In Aruba - Hotels?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-08-16 to 2004-12-31: Overnight Layover In Aruba - Hotels?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Hardy (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All,

We're leaving for Bonaire on December 3rd and are flying through Aruba (do to frequent flyer ticket availability). We're arriving in Aruba after the last Excl flight to Bonaire so will need to overnight in Aruba. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap hotel in _Aruba_ near the airport. We're just sleeping overnight and leaving the next morning, so plain is fine. Everything I've found is Aruba is crazy expensive!

Also, on the return trip the morning Excl flight to Aruba arives at 8:30am and our Continental return flight leaves at 10:35am. Will this be enough time?

Thanks!

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have stayed over night at a motel directly across the road from the airport. It is not fancy but it is reasonable and clean. The Manager is most gratious and let us stay past check out without charge. They have a small restaurant on the premises for breakfast or lunch. It is a 20 minute walk to town. There is also a bar/lounge on site. I am sorry I do not recall its name but it is the only one across the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Hardy (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 6:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the tip George. I emailed the Aruba airport info address to see if they had the name and phone for the motel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4376) on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 9:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Would that be Talk of the Town, George? It's been a while since we were on Aruba and I can't recall how far Talk of the Town is from the airport...it used to be the closest one to the airport but we have not been on Aruba since 1998...now we hit Bonaire instead! Ohhh...Joe tells me it was a Best Western and the restaurant was the Talk of the Town....hmmmm.

If it is the Talk of the Town they have an excellent restaurant on premises, too.

Good luck, Kevin and have a great time on Bonaire! Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin, Carole has it. It is the Talk Of The Town motel. I don't think you could go wrong with this establishment. We were very pleased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #661) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole/George

do they have a web site? or some way to get in touch with them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4382) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, I just went to the Aruba site and did a search on Talk of the Town Beach Club but the site but it is not working right now. Here is what came up:

This web site is currently unavailable.

Click here to go to our homepage.

The link to Aruba's site is:

http://www.aruba.com/home.htm

I'll check again in a little while to see what else we can think up....we're on the right track...but, no train in the station yet! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4383) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was not very clear...the Talk of the Town Beach Club website is not working right now...the Aruba link should be OK. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Hardy (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, here's there actually web site:

http://www.talkofthetownaruba.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Birk (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I remember staying there in the mid 80's on a business trip. Seems to me it wasn't on the beach, more like across the street. Back then I had a little room, no air conditioning, just a big wobbly fan above the bed. I would have to assume it has been upgraded in the last 20 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4384) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob, you are correct...it is across the small street (but busy street) from the water.

I think Kevin is looking for something reasonable and close to the airport and this might fit the bill.

It appears they have redone the place and one would have to assume the rooms are now air conditioned. They look very nice.

Kevin, this might be the place for you to check out for your overnight stay. Nice pool, restaurant and close to the airport, too. Ayo. Carole

PS Excellent "searching" Kevin!!!! Let us know if you do end up there and how it is. Used to be an excellent menu and food...I wonder if that part of the same staff remained/returned....cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4385) on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 10:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can anyone address the second part of Kevin's inquiry regarding time to catch his other flight? Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Birk (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 10:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That street was not too busy when I was there. One thing that sticks in my mind after all these years was the restaurant, where I first tasted a cheeseburger made with gouda cheese. A great delicacy. I tried hunting one up in the Netherlands, no luck. Also no luck on St Maarten. Did have one in Bonaire, but it wasn't as good. Maybe my memory just built it up. Oh, well, I will look again when we return to Bonaire in Feb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #407) on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin -- regarding the second question. The two hour layover should be enough IF things go smoothly. Last summer we had scheduled a three hour layover in Aruba but due to a plane shortage with BonairExel we were delayed in Bonaire, rerouted to Curacao and missed our flight back to the states. Also, keep in mind that when you arrive in Aruba on your way home you will need to go through customs and immigration, gather your luggage, check in at Continental and go through security, also with your bags. If you are even a little delayed on BE it could be very tight so you might want to check ahead and see when the next flights on Continental might be. If you need to get back home on that exact flight because of work or whatever you might want to at least know when the next possible flight is. We were fortunate to have a very understanding USAir agent who was used to BE passengers missing connections and she was able to get us out on a later flight. We knew that there might be problems so tried to remain "on island mode." Even with the delays I would like to add that the folks at BE were all very pleasant and helpful and when we used BE for a quick 3 day trip from Bonaire to Curacao had no troubles.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration