BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Re-packing for trip - problems?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-08-16 to 2004-12-31: Re-packing for trip - problems?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Eker (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greets, folks!

I've always repackaged insect repellent and such in little squirt Nalgene bottles, labelled with tape. No problems with TSA running around the US, but it's been 17 years since I last flew out of the country. I don't have any practical experience in today's enhanced security protocols (other than regular gropes EVERY time I fly). I must be on the lucky list that tags me for constant inspections. What fun.

Is customs (ours or Bonaire / MBJ / SJU) gonna have a hissy-fit if I repackage things so that they don't squirt all over my luggage? Most containers that you get over-the-counter aren't very good at nominal cabin pressure, and they don't do at all in unpressurized baggage compartments. I don't want to run around smelling like a DEET salesman.

I'm not gonna repackage the few prescription drugs I generally carry, Just In Case. I'd like to arrive with everything that I set out with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5236) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 2:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stan this is what we usually do.. we use heavy duty zip lock bags and store anything that might leak or spray in them.. also take a few along for wet bathing suits for the last day.. and we take even more along to keep the teeny tiny ants out of any food we may not refridgerate...I don't know what I would do without zip lock bags...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marabeth Owens (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #244) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 7:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do the same thing. I have zip lock bags for EVERYTHING - DEET, shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, damp clothing - all of it. And actually that way, IF they have to open your luggage they are kind of happy about it too because is anything explodes then they don't have to deal with it either.

I am NOT JEALOUS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #126) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 7:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Stan,
Yup, zip lock bags are the way to go, then we stick the bags into dive booties, fins, etc. for extra space saving, water bottles work good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrea & Dave Bartlett (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 9:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Take small sizes of the products you need. You can usually find them in places like Walmart and drugstores. Pack them in zip lock bags. I use the freezer kind because they are thicker and more durable. I also take all different sizes, from quart to 2 gal. size for use on island. Just be sure you bring them off island with you, the land fills on Bonaire are not designed for items that take years to degrade. Have a good time you will love the island and its people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana girl (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #209) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stan,
I repack any items that have an oil base into freezer bags. I also place a wash cloth or hand towel inside the freezer bag to absorb anything that might break open during transit.
Yanagirl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #600) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 9:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We repackage stuff into unlabeled bottles all the time. Haven't had trouble either before or after 9/11.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4227) on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 12:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sometimes I pack things into zip lock baggies and throw the label from the product into the bag, too. This way I know and "they" know what it is supposed to be. You can rip the label off the box or container, usually. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1916) on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Moment of silence for the inventor of Ziploc bags... I use them for EVERYTHING... the freezer ones with the little zip thingy on them are the best...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Eker (BonaireTalker - Post #48) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 1:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've been using Ziplocks for liquids for decades. The place we usually go camping is around the same altitude as jet cabin pressures, so I had to learn that trick early on. Yep, I've had all my camping gear doused with DEET more than once, although in that case it's almost a blessing. I'm a mosquito magnet.

I was more worried about the little bottles I use, since they're obviously not original packaging nor factory sealed. If TSA gets nit-picky, can I get DEET on the island? I'll guess the other few liquids won't be a problem to find, if they make me toss 'em.

Marabeth, you and Pete are more'n welcome to join me in a couple of weeks, if the flights aren't all booked solid. I'll make room. This'll be the only decent trip I've had this year, as the other two were flops (note to self: don't waste money on San Carlos MX, and don't dive the Channel Islands kelp with partners that are afraid to dive *into* the kelp.) I booked Bonaire immediately after the last frustrating trip so I'd have one nice vacation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #513) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 3:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stan, I suffer very badly from the mossies and have always been able to replenish my stock of DEET. Michael has it at Chat and Browse and the Warehouse has a good cheap brand that is about 12% DEET.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marabeth Owens (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #272) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 10:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stan,

Thanks for invite - I'm only jealous because you are going before we are. We leave on December 22 and return on Jan 5 so it will be a nice 2 week vacation. Shh - don't tell the kids - but it also saves me from having to decorate too much for Christmas. Love the season and actually love the decorating - hate the take down.

And you should have NO problem with the small containers. I have always repacked everything except the DEET into smaller containers. I bring about 5 things of the 100% DEET - I too am a mossie magnet. Guess it's cause we are all so sweet.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration