BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Layover in San Jaun
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-08-16 to 2004-12-31: Layover in San Jaun
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This Friday I will be traveling through San Jaun to Bonaire and have about a 4 hour layover there.
Never having been through here before I would like to know what the San Jaun airport is like and if or what is near by.
Thanks.....Sue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12165) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 3:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, the airport is pretty big, and has lots of shops and eating places. If you have time, and want to venture out of the airport (remember you have to go through customs when you go back), go to the Hampton in in Isla Verde (very close to the airport) and have a grilled burger by the pool...best burger in the world, let me tell ya! Or, go to the Wyndam or Ritz on the same stretch and stick your feet in the sand for a couple of hours. It's a beautiful beach...

http://www.beachviewapartments.com/iv/about_iv.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #393) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 7:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cab fare to the hotels right on the beach at Isla Verde is 8 dollars one way and takes about 5-10 minutes depending on traffic. You can get a cab in the ground transportation area of the airport. On the upper level, near the AA check in, there is a baggage check where we leave our carryons for 3 dollars a bag. You have to clear security when you return to the airport (I am thinking that you meant security, not customs, Cynde as we have never had to do more than that on our many long SJ layovers)\If you use the security entrance for the American Eagle gates (sign says gates 1-7)there is usually not a long line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12168) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, yes, I meant security, thanks! I didn't know about the bag check by the AA check in, good to know...our lay over in March is 6 hours, and we definitely plan on taking the kids to Isla Verde for a burger at the HampTONE Inn:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #143) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 9:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, a 4 hour layover in San Juan is not much. Personally I would not leave the airport if you are not familiar with the area. I've stayed overnight twice in San Juan and both times I have got lost in the airport because I was misinformed by airport staff. Clearing security both times was very lengthy but Americans probably clear faster than us Canadians, eh! However, San Juan airport is a great place to people watch because of the many countries that Puerto Rico is connected to AND a decent place to eat and get an Amstel. Cynde, you have probably passed though San Juan a ton of times and are very comfortable leaving the airport - me, I'm a chicken!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Eagen II (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 3:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you ever have a chance to be in San Juan any longer you should tour the Castle on the water, it is beautiful. Although often considered somewhat dangerous, San Juan is beautiful and has some very nice areas and resorts to check out. Let me rephrase that, Puerto Rico in general is beautiful and has some very nice areas and resorts to check out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Birk (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 8:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last year we spent a week on Culebra, and extended the vacation with a 2 day stay in Old San Juan. Fascinating place, and sometime in the future we plan to spend a bit more time there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Belinda Z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #189) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,

How did you like Culebra? My husband has mentioned a couple of times wanting to visit it. I'm particularly interested in the snorkeling.

You can email me at zap@zee-horse.com or private message me in order to not tie up this thread with unrelated info.

I would REALLY appreciate any information you would be willing to share!

Belinda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Birk (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Belinda, I will send you an e-mail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12172) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine, spent 6 weeks in San Juan last March (not by choice, so am pretty familiar with it!)

James, you are right, if you are in the wrong area, particularly at night, it can be very dangerous. Stick to the touristy areas unless you are very sure as to where you are going. Isla Verde and Old San Juan are the 2 big tourist areas in the San Juan area. There are some great restaruants in Old San Juan, a place that has the best Tapaas ever at El Convente, and in Isla Verde, a Cuban restaruant (can't remember the name) next to the Cockfight ring, and an Argentine restaurant (of course, can't remember the name)...I can always call Rafa and have him refresh my memory! LOL!

Belina, by what I heard from Rafa (who lives in PR), Elvira's son, and Elvira who have been to Culebra, that's the place to go...very nice place...have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Belinda Z (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #190) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,

Thanks SO much - I'll be watching for it!! We're always looking for new places to visit.

Cynde,

Thanks for the info.

Belinda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #394) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 7:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, the bag check is close to the door from the outside near AA ticket counter (upper level). There is a beauty shop right next door-- this is a good landmark as the bag check is not all that clearly marked. First time there we thought it looked a little sketchy but have never had trouble leaving our carryons there. You will need to show a passport for id -- they started this after Sept 11. Thanks for the tip of burgers at the Hampton. We usually head straight for the beach, eat at one of the hotel beach bars and then rent lounge chairs to nap as our layover is about 8 hours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sharyn spray (BonaireTalker - Post #79) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 7:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Belinda, Besides people watching there is a little shop that gives good chair massages. Great way to relax after sitting in a plane !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to everyone who replied to my orginal question. This is the 1st time I have been back to Bonaire in a few years and had always gone via Miami. (Lived on Bonaire for awhile and used to do several trips a year for more years then I can count) So San Juan is new for me. So a few more questions.....we care oming to San Juan via JetBlue....which terminal does JetBlue come in too?
Then using AA Eagle/Express what ever to get to Bonaire...so please let me know the secret to getting from JetBlue to AA Eagle/Express and what to look for to check baggage etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #776) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Look for a cute but grumpy redheaded guy and a sweet lady with dark curly hair. They are my nephew and niece and are making the flight via Jet Blue to PR and AE from PR. They were supposed to leave last night with a one night layover, but SJU was closed for Jeanne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Elliott (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 5:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sue - I'll be traveling with the grumpy redheaded guy referenced above by Linnea. We're now scheduled to arrive in PR at 12:45 Fri. I'm told that Jet Blue flys into Terminal B and AE flys out of Terminal D. I've never been in this airport either, so don't know how long it will take us to collect luggage & check in, guess we'll be in the same boat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12184) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail, here are a couple of links of a map of Terminal D.

http://www.b-v-i.com/Transportation/SanJuanAirport/default.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/pe/sanjuanairport/airportmap.html

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Elliott (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Cynde!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12186) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 7:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail, you're welcome! I tried to find a map of the entire airport (with all of the terminals) but came up with nada...I remember that Northwest comes and goes out of gate C...so hopefully E is just on the other side of D!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12187) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 7:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail, here is one of the whole airport...you may have a bit of a walk....doesn't AE fly out of the West Terminal of D?

http://www.cheaptickets.com/trs/cheaptickets/content/maps_driving/airport_map_results.xsl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Elliott (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 7:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde - Thanks again. Not worried about the walk, (I need the exercise (LOL)) more worried about Tropical Storm Jeanne, hope it passes far enough, fast enough, that the flights into PR on Friday aren't cancelled. Note: I feel for all the folks in the path of all these storms, but selfishly, still want to get to Bonaire. Here'e hoping!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela Strozier (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail,

Good luck Friday....We will be there too so I guess I am wishing us luck as well. The thing I would be concerned with about leaving the airport is the traffic in San Juan. We had an 8 hour layover once and the traffic was not fun. We took a cab down town and set at the water some and walked. With only 4 hours you might want to make sure you go some place close. San Juan is so spread out. I think we are going to be OK in re: to Jeanne on Fri. At least I am praying so. We were to go last week but due to Ivan had to postpone our trip. Anyway happy travels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12191) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Angela, don't even get me started about the traffic and the way they drive down there...I even had to buy a t-shirt that described what it was like...poor Kelly thought she was gonna bite it fer sure when she arrived, but of course, by that time, 4 weeks in, I was "one" with the other drivers! LOL! I still refer to moves I see at home occasionally as "geez, what, do they think they are in Puerto Rico?"

Ilsa Verde is very close to the airport. You may run into traffic on the main road, but not to worry...Is that where you went Angela?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #781) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 7:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Puerto Ricans all learned to drive in NYC. Don't let the cops scare you, they drive around with their blue lights flashing and turn on the red flashers when on an actual call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela Strozier (BonaireTalker - Post #79) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 11:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Cynde, we were on the expressway. It was interesting to say the least. Off to Bonaire in the a.m.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12203) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 12:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linnea, we couldn't figure out why the police always had their blue lights flashing the first couple of weeks until we asked Rafa. It is a fairly new thing I guess. Since they have been doing this, the crime rate has dropped some. I guess they are making themselves more visible. Sherry and I actually pulled over twice during the first couple of weeks thinking that we had done something wrong! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff blake (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How far is it from the airport to Old San Juan where the ships dock and how much is a taxi?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12419) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff, the ride from the airport to Old San Juan can be anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour depending on traffic, which is totally unpredictable! Unless you have the entire day to get there, and get back to the airport in enough time to catch your next flight, I'd go to Isla Verde, I mentioned it in an earlier post on this thread. Plus, you really can't get all that's to offer in Old San Juan in just a few short hours...there's a lot to see!

If you do go, I'd suggest going to "El Convente" which is now a beautiful hotel, used to be a convent. The restaurant on the premises has great tapas. Also, right across the street is where Ponce De Leon is entombed, along with 3 or 4 other Puerto Rican "Saints" and one "Saint in waiting."

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration