BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: From Denmark to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-08-16 to 2004-12-31: From Denmark to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helga Oterdoom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 4:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I´m new in BT, and this is my first message.Very exiting!Me and my friend Lisbeth are going to Bonaire for 3 weeks holiday from january 20th next year.Only 152 days left!! Danish people don´t know anything about the ABC islands, not much anyway. I do because I have a dutch history.I´m sure we´ve paid much more than any of you for our trip 3200euro for flight and stay at Happy Holiday Homes.All of you seem crazy about Bonaire( I´ve read a lot your messages in BT)and I think I will get addicted as well. And then I definitely will keep coming back. But then it has to be cheaper than this trip in january. Maybe some of you can get me in contact with cheap dutch travelagencies when needed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carter farrell (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 5:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Helga
Whatever you are paying its worth it!
If you do want to check prices, one agency is
www.maduro.nl.
We have just arrived home from our first Bonaire vacation and if you wish a Scandinavians viewpoint about anything you may ask via chat or via my private E-Mail. You may even write back in Danish (my wife is Danish)
We like you saved up for this trip and thought it would be a one time happening. We have already booked our next trip!
By the way we took British Air to Miami and Jamaica Air to Bonaire.
Regards
C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helga Oterdoom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 6:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Carter. Thanks a lot for your tip and answer.I´m sure whatever we pay it will be worth it. I´m still interested in knowing some more dutch travelagencies. And yes Carter, I would very much like to write to your wife in danish. I still remember some dutch, but it´s difficult.
Regards from Helga.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #259) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 7:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good places do take some effort getting to... I went the opposite way a few years ago, Bonaire to Denmark. I had to travel with a friend from the US (meeting in the US), so here's what I/we did:
BON-Montego Bay-BWI (near DC) on Air Jamaica; DC - London (there always seems to be more cheap flights between US & London than other Euro cities); London-Malmo (very cheap, about $20 on Ryan Air I think); Malmo-Copenhagen by bus...and, I did this in February! Total flights ended up costing about $700. Loved Copenhagen, even below zero degrees (you guys really know how to enjoy bar life-I like that in a place!).

Of course KLM's AMS-BON flights are easiest, but you can also try different routes like: Malmo-London-Jamaica-Bonaire (Air Jamaica & BA both fly London-Jamaica). I'm metioning Malmo only because I know that Ryan flies into/out of that airport in Sweden (for Americans reading this, you cross that really cool bridge seen in the Lexus commercials to get from Malmo/Sweden into Denmark)--maybe you're lucky and Denmark now has some cheap Ryanair or EasyJet airports now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stewart (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 7:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Helga,

Look on the KLM web site, flights from Copenhagen to AMS are about 100 Euro and from AMS to BON from about 450 Euro. Generally the earlier you book the better. Going off-season helps.

It pays to book through one carrier if you book on-line as they will look after you all the way through if there are any delays. Booking with several carriers you are making several contracts and its more difficult to get a single ticket.

Another good reason is that you can often negotiate a 10Kg extra allowance for dive gear.

Enjoy your stay there.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helga Oterdoom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 7:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ruth. Thanks for your reply. We pay $1000 pp going copenhagen-amsterdam-BON-amsterdam-copenhagen. So your flight was quit a bit cheaper . As far as I know we have both easy-jet and ryanair. Yes Copenhagen is a great city. And bar-life is really nice. Danes are very easy-going and most of them are used to drink and enjoy themselves in cozy nearby bars.I bit like Bonaire I guess? Hope to see you in january.
Helga.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helga Oterdoom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 1:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dave.
We have booked with KLM all the way. But it was still about $1000 pp. Maybe next time we could check for special offers, and as you said go off-season. Thanks for your message! I´m still interested in other ideas how to come cheaply from Copenhagen to BON.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #260) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 6:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yup, just like Bonaire in attitude, just not lattitude, that's why I liked it so much, and felt at home, except for the 10 layers of clothing!

One thing to be careful about when bargin shopping and flying multiple legs on multiple airlines, is which airports are being used, and layover time. For example, Ryan Air flies into Standsted in England; many flights out are from Heathrow/Gatwick--that journey from Stansted to Heathrow can be as much, if not more, than the flight from Denmark! And if you have to overnight, that adds up too, although sharing these expenses w/your travel partner can still make the flights a bargin.

See you in January!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1476) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Helga, we usually book our trip via ABC travel (www.abctravel.nl). They also have a German etablishment (http://www.niederlaendische-karibik.de/)
We might see each other in January/February, haven't booked yet, but plan to be there in that period. In fact, I think it is time to book! Let's make some phone-calls!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stewart (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 7:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Helga,

You could also google 'Bonaire Fun Travel', they have sites in Dutch and English. They start at about 750 Euro's for flight and accomodation.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kate vidme (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 8:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Helga,

it's not cheap travelling from scandinavia. I'm travelling from Norway and have to pay more then you. The cheapest prices form Amsterdam to Bonaire is off season and as soon as you have to get to Amsterdam first the price suddenly rices. I'm travelling before the high season but still I didn't manage to get the cheapest flight. I don't think $1000 pp is too bad considering the distance and that you just have to change once.

Kate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helga Oterdoom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi again Dave.
YES, bonaire fun travel gave some fine offers, especially some of their links. Thanks a lot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helga Oterdoom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kate.
Is your price $1000+ with or without accommodation? Hej Norge!
Helga.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helga Oterdoom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 9:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Karin v.V.
Thanks for your advise. Where are you staying when you come to Bonaire? How many times have you been there? Are you addicted to BON? I´m afraid I´m gonna be...
Helga

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kate vidme (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Goedemiddag Helga,

eller skal vi si god dag? You said you had dutch history so I guess you speak dutch? I paid NOK 8000 for the flight only. It's a bit more expensive from Bergen Norway then Copenhagen. My problem is that I'm travelling alone and all the offers you find are for couples but still I'm going and I'm soooooooooo looking forward to it. When I was on KLM website I saw that they had flights from around 450 Euro to Bonaire but that is without tax. I have to say that I'm glad that I just have to change in Amsterdam. I rather pay a bit more then having to change 3 times. I have checked a bit on BT and it seems that some routes in the states are quit difficult and if you calculate the extra travel time ++ I'm not sure it's that much cheaper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1477) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Helga, haven't booked yet, but our plans are to be there from jan 22 to feb 8. We will be staying with Bonaire Bungalows. This will be our 3rd time. Am I addicted?? No, not really,.... it's just that Bonaire is great, feels like home, can't wait to go back once I set foot in Holland again, I watch the cams every day, read all about Bonaire there is, read over and over in my travel guides, watch my holliday pics about every week, will be learning Papiamentu this winter, am dreaming about owning a house there..... nah, that's no addiction, is it???
Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions, or want to chat about Bon! I'm sure you'll love this little island!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Helga Oterdoom (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Goedeavond Kate.
Yes I still speak a bit of the ol´dutch, but I prefer english, and of course danish which is my first language.I agree that it´s worth the extra cost when you don´t have to change more than once. Try " Bonaire Fun Travel " you can find the website on www.bonaire.pagina.nl they are also in english.Good luck! When are you going?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kate vidme (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 2:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I'm going 0312-1812. Was planning to go at christmas but the high season starts 2012 so the plane tickets ++ got more expensive. If anyone else is going then let me know, would be fun to meet up.

Kate

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration