BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Air Jamaica - LAX customs question
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: Air Jamaica - LAX customs question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laurie C. Van De Werfhorst (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Technically this is a question about what happens after you leave Bonaire, but I thought it might belong in this topic anyway.

For those of you that have flown Air Jamaica from Bonaire -Jamaica - LAX,how many times did you have to go through customs, where, and how long did it take? Idon't anticipate us needing to declare anything.

This will be my first time flying internationally. Our return flight gets into LAX at 9:30 pm, but our bus to go home leaves at 11 pm. I have no idea if this will be enough time or not, so I am curious about how long it took other people. I am assuming that even if you go through customs in Jamaica you have to go through again in Los Angeles?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Laurie

only 20 days to go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #323) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 1:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Montego Bay is well set up for transit passengers. You do not clear customs in Jamaica if you're on a connecting flight.

US Customs does not have a presence at Montego Bay, so you will clear customs upon arrival at LAX. (For those who haven't experienced it, the US has Customs operations in some foreign countries, so you actually clear customs into the US before getting on the airplane. I've had first-hand experience with this in Bermuda and Canada).

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dilly Dillbream (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #716) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Laurie, I've done the trip from LAX on AJ, and AA...when you arrive at the airport at LAX, since you are going on AJ, customs will search your bags at LAX before you check them. They have big "changing tables" is what I call them where they will open and look through the bag. However, last time, flying AA, they didn't search them at all...so 2 times they did, once they didn't...go figure. You won't see your bags again until you reach Bonaire. Once you get to Bonaire, you will go through customs (not your bags). When you leave Bonaire to go home, you will have your bags searched (in front of everything, so pack nice and neat! LOL!). Then when you reach LAX, you will go through customs again with your bags. I have never found this to be long, or burdensome. As long as your flights are not delayed leaving Bon, and Montego Bay, and you arrive on time to LAX, you should have plenty of time to catch your bus at 11PM.

Good luck, and have a GREAT time!!!!!

BTW, after they search your bags, it's wise to put zip ties on them...things have a way of disapearing in the Caribbean...have had it happen on AA, not AJ...hmmm....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1663) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 7:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

GREEN TAG YOUR LUGGAGE Laurie. By which I mean to say the AJ agent checking you in at LAX should put a green tag with MBJ on it on each checked bag so it will go through Jamaica and be more likely arrive in Bonaire.
Take essentials in your carry on. Meds ( you can't buy like Sudafed in Bonaire)a swimsuit, your regs and mask, toiletries but no "sharps," and underwear for if you get held over a night.
I tried using twist ties from garbage bags to keep my zippers together last trip, it seemed to work on my bags.
And though it sounds compulsive, it's a great idea to copy your passport and keep a copy or two here and there, and mark your luggage inside the case too. Free and well worth the time.
Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1594) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 9:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb, as much as I saw your naked butt on the last trip, I'm surprised you even PACK underwear. Sorry sorry sorry I couldn't help it !!! LOL

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration