BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: How is it flying on Air Jamaica?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: How is it flying on Air Jamaica?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gwen Stewart (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 8:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I posted a question last week re: Jamaica Airport, and got some great responses! Now I have a question about the aircraft, since I have never flown on Air Jamaica. I will be traveling coach and I am on a red-eye flight.(flying out of LAX) Anyway....interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
Gwen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #387) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Done it twice in the last year, though we didn't do the redeye from LAX (live in SE Az so LAX is fairly close). Chose instead to to FFmiles to Miami and overnight in both directions. Aircraft are fairly new Airbus 320s, service is great, seats are pretty cramped (it is an airplane after all), good food (for a plane), I'm pretty sure they're all champagne flights so the Red Stripe, Rum Punch and cheap champers all flow pretty freely. I'll use em again

cheeser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stigaard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #119) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Class act - - - And they serve Ting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #353) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 7:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We alternate between AA and JA depending on price, free miles, etc. One of the best things about JA is that you get to Bonaire earlier and you leave at a much more civilized time than AA. Last Dec our flight was late leaving BOS and they held the plane in Jamaica so people could make the connection. And there is that Ting ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #207) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Glenn,

The early arrival and late departure is a terrific reason to fly AJ. On your departure day you can usually check your luggage in after 11:00a.m. and then go sightseeing, have a nice lunch and return in time to turn in the rental rig and go through security at a less hassled pace. And that also lets you get in a half day of diving the day before departure if you want. With the EARLY a.m. departures of some of the others you don't have that option. I'm NOT suggesting you push your limits, but if you stop diving at lunchtime you will have well over 24 hours before flying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #382) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

much prefer it to AA..there was always a long layover in San Juan with AA..AJ has better connections for us and the service was very nice..and they took Delta FF miles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gwen Stewart (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 7:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just want to say thank you to everyone for being so helpful! It's nice that you all repond so quickly, and you are all so informative. I am glad I registered w/ Bonaire Talk.
I will have to try 'Ting' as everyone raves about it.
Thanks once again...Gwen :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Phelps (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What days is AJ flying to & from the States to Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #494) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ flies round trip from Montego Bay on Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (according the "Infobonaire").

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #309) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For our trip across New Years, Faith and I flew on Air Jamaica. Flights were OK, but AJ certainly ordered their planes with No Room In Coach. Faith was uncomfortable in terms of leg room, and her legs are shorter than mine. I was underwhelmed by the pilot on the return flight.

For my trip down to work on the webcam move, I flew on American from Boston to Miami, then on to Curacao. I used Divi Divi for the hop over to Bonaire and back. This worked reasonably well. The Divi folks did a great job. The flight to Bonaire was a bit bumpier and slower than I'd expected, but the winds were unusually strong that day.

We've used the American Eagle flight approach in the past, but I really dislike the ATR72 aircraft, as it's one of the noisiest turboprops I've ever flown on, and to fly for almost 2 hours on such a plane is punishing. That, and the flight schedule really sucks. American is likely seeing business fall off because of their scheduling and airplane choices.

What I'd really like to see is for AE to fly a CRJ or similar small jet either from Miami or San Juan to Bonaire, with a midday southern departure and a mid-afternoon northern departure. That'd fit into the connections well, and bring them a LOT more business. Somehow I doubt we'll ever see such, since it'd make too much sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Leonard (BonaireTalker - Post #77) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've flown from BWI to BON twice (next trip in 25 days) and never had a problem. I do like the early arrival/late departure schedule and thanks to BT guidance my second trip with early luggage checkin was BRILLIANT!

On the Ting thing, my 12yo son LOVES Ting thanks to a trip to Jamaica. Does anyone carry it on island?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've never seen Ting on Bonaire, but you can pick some up at the airport in Montego Bay. I've also been seeing it at more and more Shaw's and Stop and Shop supermarkets in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Leonard (BonaireTalker - Post #83) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 4:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If my layover in MON lasts longer than a dash to the plane this time I will try to find some. If not, I may email a friend of mine that works AJ's ticket counter at BON and see if she can work something out sent as freight or something. :-)

I just came home from the grocery store and now even my neck of the woods carries Ting, but at $1.59 a bottle. :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laurie C. Van De Werfhorst (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gwen,

I am very interested how your experience with the red-eye Air Jamaica flight went. We will be taking the same flight from LAX at the end of August.

What was the "in flight fashion show" like? Could you still sleep? Did you find anything to do at the Jamaican airport at 6 am for 5 hours? Any problems with the airline or luggage?

I'd appreciate any feedback on your (or anyone else's) experience.

Thanks,
Laurie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11760) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 8:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Laurie,

Did the AJ redeye trip once and AA redeye once from LAX. AJ trip was non eventful...AA trip took me 26 hours due to 2 broken planes (one was the midnight out of LAX, had to board, de-board and sit in the airport until 3AM when they found another plane...not fun!)

Anyway, AJ is a great airline. In flight fashion show? Don't remember...the guy sitting behind us was all hopped up and going to Jaimaca and blabbed to his seat mates the entire time! You used to be able to use the First Class lounge at the AJ airport to sleep, eat and rest...not anymore. Keep tabs on your flight leaving AJ to Bon...they don't really "announce" it per se, so keep alert.

The airport is small, but you will survive...hey, you're going to Bonaire!

Have a great trip:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #11761) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 8:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, no luggage problems with either...only airline problem were the two broken AA planes...the other was from SJ to Bon, didn't end up leaving SJ until 8PM or so...definitely be prepared and bring a book or something to pass the time in case you run into problems!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gianos (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 12:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just flew AJ from LAX. They were good, no in flight fasion show. All the flights were a bit early arriving for us which was nice. The AJ flight attendents were about the nicest I have ever seen. Lugage all made it OK. Some of the planes had farily worn interiors with very little padding left in the seats so grab a pillow and blanket for extra padding (This is not a slam at AJ I have seen this on many US carriers) On the LAX to MBJ they had a lot of announcements and the lights were on for longer than I would have liked. I had hoped to sleep a little but was not able to. The 5 hour layover in MBJ is long, really nothing much to do there the shops are good for an hour max. The airport was very quiet when we arrived then got very crowded after an hour or two.

We flew AA last time and AJ was MUCH better.

I only wish that us west coast people did not get stuck with the 5 hour layover...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gwen Stewart (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 7:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Laurie,

The Air Jamaica flight(s) were on time, and went very smoothly,and no problems w/ the luggage. My only complaint was the cramped seating. I am pretty tall (5' 9"), so I'm glad I requested isle seats on both flights, which I would recommend. (LA-Jamaica/Jamaica-Bonaire).

There was no fashion show, which would have been fun, but they do show a movie.
It was difficult for me to sleep on the red-eye to Jamaica, as the woman sitting next to me snored so loud! So hopefully that wont happen to you.

The 5 hrs. went by fairly quickly surprisingly at the airport. There are shops downstairs, where I first went, and some of them open up early. It's pretty quiet that early, which I liked. You can get a cup of Jamaican coffee (if you like coffee) at the Spice Shop and browse the stores (I like to browse & shop, so that part was fun...).

You can have breakfast at the Margaritaville Bar/Restaurant upstairs (a bit of a walk...), I believe they open at 8:00 a.m. and the food & coffee is good(& Jimmy Buffet music).

My only dislikes: The women's restroom (pretty bad....) I'm being honest. It's also warm, except for the restaurant and the stores are air-conditioned.

I think I covered it.
You will love Bonaire...I used to live there as a child, and always go back to visit!

Gwen :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Thuillier (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, What's Ting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3824) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Gary! It is a delicious grapefruit soda...not too sweet and just right! Try it...you'll get hooked like the rest of us. I am not a soda lover at all and I couldn't get enough ting on our last flights! Many, many years ago Hoffman beverages put out a grapefruit soda my Dad used to love...it reminded me of that. Sooo good! Try it if you fly AJ and if you get to the islands. Carole

PS No diet Ting on board the flight, tho.....don't even know if they make a diet Ting...!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration