BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Flamingo Airport
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Flamingo Airport
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gnann on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In anticipation of our first trip to Bonaire later this month, I have been reading through some of the travel reports. While most travelers sing the praises of Air Jamaica, I was discomfitted by Chris Kahl's travel debacle (Air Jamaica Nightmare, 4/3/01).
His travail began with, "...2 hours spent shuffling along in line at the Bonaire airport to check my bags and get my official Air Jamaica boarding passes." In other posts, I've read a suggestion to go to the airport the night before departure to get boarding passes and pay departure taxes. Does this scheme still work? Is it applicable to AJ as well as ALM flights? When and where would I go at the airport to do that? Does the whole family have to go, or can I just take all the tickets by myself?

Thanks to all you Bonaire travel veterans for your advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, I don't think that you need to have the whole family with you to purchase your tickets etc.. just make certain that you book your return tickets with ALM long before your departure. (I would suggest the day of your arrival). You can pay your taxes on the day you leave. The Airport at Bonaire is very small, easy to find your way around. No problem:) Have a wonderful trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Checking in the night before departure only works for ALM flights (check in after 8pm until about 11). You can check in your bags the next day.

For AirJamaica, I suggest 12:30pm (assuming 3:20 departure) to get to the airport to checkin. The hotels usually show up later with their bigger groups so the line can get long. You can leave the airport for an hour or so and eat lunch or whatever.

Departure tax is paid at a separate kiosk near the arrival/baggage claim area. (keep in mind the airport is very small so its not far away.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 9:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John...regarding Air Jam. We went to the KLM office (they handle Air Jam) downtown the day before to reconfirm. We went to the airport at about 10:30 the next morning for the 3:00 flight to check baggage and get boarding passes.
Then back to the airport at 2:00 for the flight. No line, no hassle. (Other than the about 2 hour delay for the flight itself).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob neer on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

any special considerations for the american eagle flights leaving bonaire at 6:30am (something like that)? do we need to get checked in the night before?

thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 10:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,

Not much history on AE departures yet; as you know the first departure was 6.3. I don't leave until 6.24; will post my experience after that.

Re departure tax: pay that first--you need the paper to finish checkin--at least the last time I did it.

My tack with ALM was to get seats, tax, etc., the night before, then take the checked bags down as soon as they opened on flight day, around 7 am--they did not hold bags overnite--then back for shower and then to the airport again to check in the car and take the flight. No lines to stand in and much more comfortable flying after the shower. No real time driving because nothing on the island is far from the airport.

I don't know what the drill will be with AE for the 6:05 am departure!! They are using the KLM counter at the airport and, of course, don't man it all the time. Will comment as it happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,

Not much history on AE departures yet; as you know the first departure was 6.3. I don't leave until 6.24; will post my experience after that.

Re departure tax: pay that first--you need the paper to finish checkin--at least the last time I did it.

My tack with ALM was to get seats, tax, etc., the night before, then take the checked bags down as soon as they opened on flight day, around 7 am--they did not hold bags overnite--then back for shower and then to the airport again to check in the car and take the flight. No lines to stand in and much more comfortable flying after the shower. No real time driving because nothing on the island is far from the airport.

I don't know what the drill will be with AE for the 6:05 am departure!! They are using the KLM counter at the airport and, of course, don't man it all the time. Will comment as it happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob neer on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 11:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks glen,

getting stuck in bonaire wouldn't be a problem:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Wansley on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Clay,

Where exactly (or the best you can describe) is the KLM office downtown. I like your Air Jam plan for departure and think I'll try it myself in September.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Philip,

The KLM office is actually the office of the Bonaire Air Services travel agency, and they also happen to be the KLM and ALM reps on Bonaire. If you're at the front of the Cultimara supermarket, look mid-way to your right. You'll see them on the far opposite corner. Far right is a clothing store, to the left of that a place that says "Pas Foto Aki", and then across a street and to the left of that is the travel agency. Phone 717-7447 (on Bonaire).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gnann on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very helpful advice - thanks to all!
John

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration