BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Air Jamaica Baggage Enforcement
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: Air Jamaica Baggage Enforcement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Director (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just returned from another wonderful trip to Bonaire. Again flew Air Jamaica and they continue to provide the service we have all come to expect of them. One word of caution (at least for passengers flying out of Baltimore): AJ is STRICTLY enforcing its baggage limits of two checked bags per person with a maximum total weight of 70 pounds and ONLY ONE carry-on bag per person, not exceeding 40 pounds. Unlike some other airlines (i.e., United) that allow you one carry-on plus a personal item like a handbag or a computer bag, for our Wednesday-departing flight, AJ limited us to only the single carry-on. (Fortunately my computer bag is expandable, so we quickly juggled where we had things.) I don’t know if AJ is enforcing these limits for their other departing cities, but they did last week out of BWI. Fee for extra checked bags started at $100 or so. Also no single bag can exceed 70 pounds. No one at AJ was nasty about the weight or carry-on limits, they just fully enforced those limits (including weighing some people’s carry-ons).

Word to the wise: plan accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1551) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the heads up John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3438) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The increased costs of fuel might have something to do with this now being enforced.....not certain, tho. Anyone run into this out of Newark, too?? Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Israel A. Sanchez (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 7:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now this is a good posting! Thanks for the heads up. When my wife and I visited Bonaire in January, I was allowed my carry on, plus a personal bag that had my regulator and dive computer (Out of Newark). I haven't seen anything in their website, but things may have changed. Thank you. Coach Izzy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1385) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 8:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for the info..what dates was this? We flew to BOS April 4 and back to BON the 14th and each had 2 carry ons lap top, pocket book, soft cooler and backpacks plus kites....it was absurd..no one said nada...

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Director (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 12:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In response to Annie's question, we departed BWI on Wednesday, May 5 and returned on Wednesday, May 12. Got in line to check in a little before 6:00 AM for the 8:30 AM departure, with quite a few people in front of us. Air Jamaica's computers were down when we first got in line, but were up and operational at 6:00, and check in proceeded quickly and smoothly.

I don't know if the baggage restrictions we encountered are now the norm, or if they were being imposed because just about everyone in front of us in line had a large number of large/heavy bags that they were checking, in addition to multiple carry-ons. The ticket agents may have feared being overloaded with luggage, although once you are at the airport, there is little you can do but juggle where you put things. The agents also were suggesting to people which bags had to be lightened and which had weight allocation available.

I do not recall whether I saw people with more than one carry-on as we were boarding, and the flight to MBJ was only about 2/3 full.

No issues were made about carry-on limits for the flight home from Bonaire (although we did check in at about 11:15 without our carry-ons being present, only returning with our one carry-on each at 2:00 for the 3:10 scheduled departure, which actually departed at 2:35 which gave us cushion in MBJ). Flight to MBJ from BON was less than half full, so I would not have expected anyone to be concerned about baggage.

The intent of my original posting was to make everyone aware of the baggage limitation enforcement, and in no way is it a complaint about Air Jamaica service. With careful planning and packing, my wife and I have always been able to stay within the weight/quantity limitations, even with bringing some special foods on the trip. Next time though we will use two of the 20-inch rolling suitcases that easily fit in the overhead compartments as our carry-ons rather than one, a computer bag and a small backpack. Meets the requirements and actually provides more space/weight than what we had tried on this trip.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #107) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Man, thanks SO MUCH for this information since we usually take a rolling carry on plus camera bag, regular bag and, of course, my handbag. I like your idea of getting 2 rolling carry ones...I'm getting another one to put a regs and camera stuff in for our Sept. trip since we will be flying out of BWI. That way, we only have 1 carry on per person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tracey Briand (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I found this on Air Jamaica's website:

In all instances, except for certain international destinations, or when using a connecting carrier, only two pieces of luggage up to a weight of 70lbs. each will be accepted free of charge. In addition, you will also be entitled to one carry-on bag. All carry-on bags must be capable of fitting under the seat in front of you or in an overhead compartment. Cabin space is limited so maximum allowance for carry-on is approximately 40lbs/50 inches. On full flights there is a possibility that all carry-on baggage cannot be accepted in the cabin. Some pieces may have to be removed and checked at the gate.

I thought we were allowed 70lbs PER checked bag? Isn't that what that says above?

Sharkbait

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration