BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: What to do at PR airport for 4 hours?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: What to do at PR airport for 4 hours?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AnnMarie Bothwell (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 11:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,
I've been lurking for awhile & this is my first post. I'm leaving from Phoenix, AZ to Bonaire (my first trip) on May 28th. Here's my question: I'll be flying back to the states alone. I'm gonna have 4 hours between flights in Puerto Rico. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to do for a couple hours (food, shops, etc)? Since I'll be by myself, is there anything within walking distance that could keep me entertained for a little while? Thanks for your help!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #343) on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 1:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You really can't walk anywhere from the airport although you could walk between the two terminals. Neither one has much to offer other than a few mediocre food spots and duty free shops. If you are willing to take a cab it is an 8 dollar one way ride and 10 minutes to Isla Verde where you can walk the beach, eat at a beach bar in one of the hotels or rent a beach chair from a vendor for 3 dollars. When returning to the airport you would need to be sure to leave enough time to clear security (usually not very long lines in SJ). Also keep in mind that your boarding time will be at least 30 minutes prior to your flight time so you probably won't have a full 4 hours. We usually do the Isla Verde thing on our layover but for our flight it is 7 hours on the way down and 8 on the way back! Enjoy your first visit to Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10965) on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 5:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AnnMarie, Susan is correct about Isla Verde...having just spent 5 weeks on the beach there (not vacationing) that would be the place to go and hang on the beach. There aren't many shops along the main road there, just beach and 5 star hotels along with apartment towers. The Mediteranian Cafe at the Wyndam (sp) is on the beach and has good food, and the Water Club is on the beach and has a great and interesting atmosphere!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Jo Lott (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1054) on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The pool bar at the Hampton Inn has the best cheeseburgers ever, and get it with the garlic potatoes.... mmmm... it's across the street from the Wyndham, or close to being across the street from it... Cynde can correct me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #140) on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 11:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AnnMarie, I love Luis Munoz Marin International Airport! It is such a great place to people watch. Since PR is a jumping off point to so many Caribbean Islands, you see so many people in different native dress. It's also interesting to see the couples going "somewhere" for their wedding with their unusual carry-ons. There is a decent place to eat there called (I think) Costa del Sol. For 4 hours, I wouldn't leave the airport especially if you are unfamiliar with it. We like to get some exersise by walking from one end to the other - but be careful not to leave the secured area, that will really screw things up. On our last trip to Bonaire in Feb 04, we got bumped from the AA flight (the flight was overloaded with freight and couldn't take anymore passengers - a common practice by AA) and had to stay overnight in PR. It worked our OK for us cheap Canadians. Have fun in Bonaire, boy do I miss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10968) on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly's right...HampTONE Inn, right next to the Cockfight place (next to the Metropole Restaurant, don't order the chicken) has the best burgers in PR...by the pool, they take about a half hour to cook, but you can't get a better burger anywhere...Sherry and I are still searching!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Jo Lott (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1064) on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would just like to add that during the half hour the burger is cooking, you can have an icy cold adult beverage. Or two. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #320) on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Personally I would not leave San Juan airport UNLESS my flight was delayed longer than 4 hours. You can get a decent meal, do a little shopping, read a book, and a nap all within the confines of the departure area AND you won't have to worry about rushing back, clearing security and making you flight. It ain't the Ritz, but it is the doorway to Bonaire and you don't want that to close on you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By AnnMarie (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for your help, everyone!! I'll probably just stay at the airport & people watch. Since I'm going to be alone & I'm not familiar with the airport, people watching is probably going to be my safest bet. Thanks again!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration