BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Ideas Needed - Complicated Baggage Situation
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: Ideas Needed - Complicated Baggage Situation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1106) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Help! :-)

I can always consult the experts: BonaireTalkers! The New Englanders, that is...

This involves Boston and Logan Airport.

Problem: Luggage storage at airports no longer exists.

Details: We will be combining two types of travel into this year's adventure. SCUBA gear in one suitcase, and city clothes in another suitcase. The first will not circulate with us in Boston (serious shlep factor; rental car not a great idea) and the dress-up clothes won't be flying to Bonaire for obvious reasons. (Weight is also a factor.) Get the picture so far?

When I arrive on the morning of June 3 after a red-eye flight from Portland, I hope to go to the airport hotel we will be staying in 4 weeks later and drop off the scuba suitcase for storage. When Bob arrives on the red-eye on June 9, I want to drop off his scuba suitcase. Then at dawn, June 13, I hope to show up there again for an exchange: leave the city clothes suitcase and pick up the right bags and fly to Bonaire. On July 3, browner and saltier, we will arrive to spend the night at this convenient, affordable hotel, claiming the city suitcase, and taking the whole mess on the morning flight back to the Pacific Northwest. Clear? This is a lot to ask, isn't it?

I called the Holiday Inn near Logan Airport, 225 McClellan Hwy (Rt.1A), and the clerk seemed OK with this plan, if a little puzzled. I would have booked, but then I thought maybe BTers could tell me the most convenient airport hotel from the point of view of coming and goings way early and late, including a Sunday. Then we'll see if they have a locked closet somewhere.

Any feedback? Brilliant suggestions. Advice.

P.S. Glen, this involves a once in a lifetime extravaganza... think 'pomp.'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nsm (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is a very nice new "Hyatt Harborside" hotel on Boston Harbor on the airport grounds with a free airport shuttle, and beautiful views of the city. The city is a 7min. water taxi ride across the harbor. The Hyatt is more convenient, likely to have more services, and much nicer than the Holiday Inn which is a mile away in a nasty location. Don't know the Hyatt rates, probably high. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1107) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks N, Does the water taxi arrive at a T stop? Does it start from the hotel? Got your email too. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1723) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 6:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki,

The Hyatt sounds better for a 'once in a lifetime extravaganza'. I don't know the Holiday Inn at the airport specifically but I doubt there is a 'pomp' class hotel on the land side of Logan. Nsm's suggestion sounds much better. Unless you use a downtown hotel. For an OIALE, there is the Ritz Carleton on the Public Garden! But then, you want an affordable hotel for 'pomp' and OIALE?!?!?

Do I remember a reunion?? In Cambridge?? Surely not your 50th??? :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nat (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 6:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The water taxi arrives a short walk from the Aquarium T stop and Quincy Market, a great jumping off point for sightseeing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #247) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 9:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most of the downtown hotels are well into the mid $200 range per night... You can check their rates on line. I have stayed at the Holiday in many times and have never had a problem with the accomodations. However if you are looking into sight-seeing in Boston etc... the location might not be so convienant, as it is on the other side of the harbor... and well taxi's are $$. You might consider staying at 2 locations... Say the Holiday Inn on the night before and after you leave and arrive back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3374) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well you know you and any bags (and even Bob) are always welcome in the Raymond, NH motel and bar. It's not on the walking tour of Boston, but is a little quieter. If you guys are planning any time and in NE and you don't see us, you're in a heap of trouble.

As far as the bags and logistics are concerned, if I'm working it will be very near Login, if I'm not then time is not an issue. Let me know what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #339) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used the Hyatt at Logan in December the night before flying to Bonaire and were very pleased. Definitely worth checking with them about the luggage. Have stayed at one of the Holiday Inns near Logan (don't know if it is the one you called) and the experience was AWFUL. I can also offer you a place in Vermont but it is a bit of a commute for Boston! Let us know what you find!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1108) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all, thanks for all the responses --

We don't have to stay in the hotel but ONE night: the July 3 return on AirJamaica. I will stay with various friends and family June 3-8, before Bob gets there, and then we will stay on campus during the reunion (25th, Glen :-) ) (That's where the 'pomp' comes in. Not really looking for pomp otherwise, but don't want an "awful" hotel, either.) I just don't want to haul scuba gear all over creation, But more and more I'm thinking it's too weird to show up at a hotel and say 'here's some baggage to hold onto, since I will be a guest one night a month from now.' Man, I wish they hadn't taken all the lockers out of airports! I do know why they did, but still....

So Cecil, man of leisure, we will be in Cambridge June 9-12, (busy the 10th). Wonder if Raymond is close enough for a day excursion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #340) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Niki ... If it makes you feel any better I think that when lockers were in airports there was a time limit on how long things could be left so that might not have been an option anyway! Also, we booked the Hyatt at Logan thru hotels.com and the rate was very good. Also, the shuttle was quick and convenient as it did not have to deal with Boston traffic as some of the others do. Enjoy the two part trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1109) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, you're probably right. Alas.

I will ask at the Hyatt you've recommended; it does sound convenient.

I'll do that Monday, as Bob and I are taking off early for the weekend, and I'll be away from the computer until Sunday night. I'll check back to my thread then to see if any more bright ideas come up in the next few days...

Enjoy :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3376) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure we can make some time for you guys. We are going up to Portland, Me. the weekend before, that's the only scheduled event I know of.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration