BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Arriving in Aruba 2 pm; can we make 3:30 BonairExel to Bon?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: Arriving in Aruba 2 pm; can we make 3:30 BonairExel to Bon?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Hastings (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 2:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are looking at a Delta flight that leaves ATL 10:07 am and arrives in AUA 2 p.m. Does that give us enough time to catch 3:30 flight to Bon? It sure would be nice to get in an afternoon snorkel in Bonaire the same day we leave Charlottesville. If we cannot make the 3:30 flight, the next flight does not leave until 7:30, and goes through CUR, arriving in Bon 9 pm. Thanks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Larry,

I think all the info you are asking for is in the tread "Bonairexcel-Aruba/tickets check in". Check it out. I asked the same question and Gregg cleared up my concerns. I too, am on that that flight.

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Hastings (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kevin, and others,

Thanks for responding. I had read that thread, and was somewhat confused by it, so perhaps my new found BT friends can help clear things up for me. Of course, I am a slow learner, so perhaps things will become even a bit more muddled....

Gregg states that upon arriving in Aruba at 2 p.m. on that Delta flight, catching the 3:30 AUA - Bon is "possible but difficult," yet stated that the winter flight that apparently left AUA for Bon an hour later, 4:30 p.m., was "possible, but somewhat difficult."

I'm confused as to why one would still encounter difficulties leaving on a flight 2 1/2 hours later. It would seem any difficulties in a flight leaving that much later would be cleared up by the extra hour. Perhaps Gregg can help with this.

At the same time, I don't want to get sidetracked by that issue, since I'm concerned about arriving AUA at 2 and catching the 3:30 BE flight to Bon. My experience in traveling in the Caribbean is very limited, but we had no problems last summer arriving in San Juan and catching an Air Sunshine flight to Virgin Gorda an hour and half later. Nine of us got all of our luggage and 2 luggage handlers helped transport all of our luggage quite a distance to the A S ticket booth and passenger waiting area. I am assuming Bon is a smaller airport and should be easier to negotiate than S J, but perhaps I am mistaken.

I am also assuming that the 3:30 BE flight is scheduled, at least in part, to accommodate the 2 p.m Delta passengers who are flying to Bon, and, therefore, some effort is made on BE's part to see that their passengers do indeed get on that flight. Is that too much "wishful thinking" on my part?

Are the "difficulties" in the Aruba airport difficult because, as a first time traveler I'm not familiar with the airport (which way to go, etc), or are they difficult because of procedural matters of immigration, etc, or are they difficult because of inefficiencies on the part of Aruba airport and/or BE personnel, or some combination of these?

Does the day of the week and the time of year make a difference? We are looking at flights during "(s)low season," on Mon, Aug. 30, and Wed., Sept. 1. Presumably, there are fewer people flying to Bon on those days, so should that hour and half be ample time for us, or will the Aruba airport also be on s(low) time? Should we anticipate more congestion in our flights home on Labor Day Monday, Sept. 6?

If, for some reason, we cannot make the BE 3:30 flight, would we have a realistic possibility of getting on the 7:30 p.m. flight, or, as the last flight of the day, and one that also goes to Curacao first, is that particular flight often booked? If it's not very realistic to expect to make the 3:30 flight, then it makes more sense to purchase our tickets in advance for the 7:30 flight, in order to guarantee that we would still get to Bon that day. Or, are there no "guarantees" when flying to Bon?! We've flown a # of times since 9/11, including to Europe, Carib, and within U.S., and haven't had any problems other than spending at extra night in Frankfurt because the airplane intercom system did not work (at least that's what they said)...

Or, (gulp), are there any other airlines I should consider that can get us from AUA to Bon? I believe Divi Divi only flies between Bon and Cur, is that correct?

Do BT'ers tend to book your own travel arrangements, or do you use one of the Bonaire travel agencies? If the latter, whom do you recommend?

Finally, what does the phrase "legal connection" mean? If I don't make a "legal connection," then will the border patrol finally catch up with me when I arrive?!

Kevin, Jay, and others, I'd appreciate hearing about your traveling experiences when you return, and would also appreciate Gregg's insight. Thanks, Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #518) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 4:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I answered Larry's questions via a private email. If anybody else wants to see the response (lengthy), feel free to email me directly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Hastings (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gregg,

I can't tell you how helpful your information is! I really feel as though I've now got a pretty good idea of what to expect in the Aruba airport, and that's "half the battle." We're still exploring all of our options, and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help us clarify our travel plans. I am going to copy your document and carry it with us. I'd encourage anyone with questions about flying through Aruba to contact you for your thorough and very insightful remarks.

Sincerely,

Larry Hastings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Hinze (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got a disappointing email from Bonaire Excel informing me that the 3:30 flight from Aruba to Bonaire on has been cancelled for my flight date (May 11). I don't know whether this extends to other days as well. This was done due to "operational and commercial restrictions". I better bring a good book along to endure my 5-1/2 hour layover in Aruba while waiting for the 7:30 flight.

Does anyone know of a better way to get from Aruba to Bonaire? Maybe we should pool our resources and start our own darn airline!! The field isn't exactly crowded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jay, Good information. I was hoping to make that BonairExcel flight on May 11 too. This is not good news due to the fact that I wanted to have my dive plans set on the 11th for diving on the 12th. Toucan diving will probably be closed by the time I get checked in to my room. I also wanted to get acclimated with the Plazas beach and pool facilities before I left my wife to go diving on Weds.

This is my first trip to Bonaire and I'm starting to wish I picked a different destination. To difficult to get to and I'm not real happy to learn about the car vandalism. Yep, if I did'nt get such a good fare on Delta to Aruba, I probably would be returning to Grand Cayman.

See you on the 11th with a good book.

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry,
I'm glad Gregg fixed you up. He has been a major help to me. He is the go to guy for sure.

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jay,

According to Gregg, we probably would'nt have made the connection anyway. Apparently it is a very slow process in Aruba.

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jay,

I just checked DCA for flights. Thier web site doesn't show any flights to Bonaire until later in the month. That leaves us with one choice.....BonairExcel. By the way, BE web site shows there is a stop over in Curacao for that 7:30 flight to Bonaire.

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #519) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 8:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jay and Kevin,

I suggest you take the 8:00 departure from Aruba and fly direct to Bonaire rather than the 7:30 which stops in Cur. You will leave later but arrive earlier in Bonaire. Then you don't risk any issues in Cur. The 8:00 flight runs Fri Sat Sun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Hinze (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 11:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kevin and other helpful people especially Greg who have contributed to this discussion. I decided to vote with my wallet. I got fed up with Bonaire Excel. (Hope they read this message.) Just made a reservation on Dutch Caribbean Airline. Went to their website and called their toll free number. Not bad connections from Aruba, but still have to go through Curacao. Flight leaves Aruba at 4:35PM and arrives in Boniare at 6:20PM. Much better than BE arriving at 9:00PM. The return is less friendly leaving Bonaire at 8:20AM but by that time the vacation is over anyway. Check it out. Seats may still be available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #527) on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 2:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jay,

May I suggest that you buy only a one way ticket from Aruba to Bon on DCA...then buy the one way BE ticket from Bon to AUA. You won't have any problem with getting a BE ticket in Bonair. Can you make a reservation on DCA but not buy the ticket until you get there; just in case you get thru immigration etc and can catch the BE flight (small chance but still a chance). If you miss the BE flight, the DCA counter is at the next window in the Kiosk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jay,

Three days and counting! Thanks for the info on DCA. I didn't know they had that flight. I will try to go the DCA route. I tried to get through to them with their toll free number late this afternoon after seeing your post. No answer. AMAZING. I'll try again Saturday. How much is their fare to Bonaire? Did they sound as though that flight might be getting full?

Maybe I will be able to figure out who you are on our flight from ATL to AUA. If not, surely we will bump into each other in Aruba.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woodward (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 1:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I emailed BT for info and advice on which flight to reserve to Bonaire from Aruba on July 8th. They got back to me quickly and reserved me for the later flight at 7:30pm. I wasn't asking for a reservation at this point, but that's OK. I guess putting me on the later flight may mean that there is no earlier flight that a 2pm arrival could make. Their website still shows a flight at 3:30pm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #857) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kevin,I know when you get to Bonaire you'll see why it's worth the hassel to get there.It's an adventure getting there sometimes but the the trade-off of the ease of diving, the beauty of the reefs,the non-commericalism of the island and the friendly people are definately worth it. I really won't make a big thing about the vandelism, Bonaire is certainly much safer then many of the islands. You just have to use your head about things. Have a great trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Hinze (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I see that there are new threads relating to this subject, but since I started communicating here I will continue. Hopefully this will be useful to others.

Our Delta flight to Aruba arrived ahead of schedule. Unfortunately Bonaire Excel had canceled our "nice" 3:30 flight a couple weeks earlier so we decided to jump on a DCA flight to Bonaire via Curacao. Otherwise we'd have had to wait till 7:30. Well, the DCA flight was late arriving from the Netherlands so we took off about 1.5 hours late. Luckily DCA held our flight from Curacao to Bonaire or we'd have had to spend the night in Curacao. Needless to say, Kevin and I were stressed!

Then a couple days later I was notified that DCA had cancelled our flight back to Aruba. Luckily they approved my taking Bonaire Excel back at their expense. This was nonstop anyway. I could ramble on but I'd recommend that people traveling through Aruba take BE. They have more direct flights to Bonaire. DCA flys jets and these originate from long distances away. All of their flights go through Curacao so more chances for missed flights and luggage. Either way both airlines cancel flights if there aren't enough passengers. Better yet fly Air Jamaica directly to Bonaire and avoid the interisland hassles.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration