BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Questions about American Eagle
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: Questions about American Eagle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R Sliwinski (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 6:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all,

We are planning our first trip top Bonaire in May. After much searching, the only reasonable flights (with decent flight connections) I could find from Central Florida is with AA connecting in SJU with AE. After reading several threads on this boards, I have a couple of questions about AE.

** Is AE really that bad? It sounds like everyone has had a bad experience. Is lost luggage and overbooked flights the main problems?
** Is an 1.5 hours layover in SJU enough time to ensure catching the only AE flight to Bonaire?
** I am travelling with my 7-month old baby. Has anyone had experience with long flights on a prop jet with an infant? Is the 1.5 hour flight going to be miserable for her?

Thanks for your assistance. This board is great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1210) on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 6:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi,

i've had six consecutive SJU-BON round trips on AE in the last couple of years - i haven't got burned - yet:-) - i do carry extra luggage and it has all made it thru - can't say much about traveling with a seven month-old...do they fit in the overhead?

(just kidding)

good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Belinda Z (BonaireTalker - Post #74) on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

We just returned Sunday from our first trip to Bonaire and for once our AA flights were hitch free on our trip to Bonaire. No flights were overbooked and all our luggage arrived with us. We had carried on our snorkel gear and a couple of changes of clothes just in case.

In fact, the flights between Bonaire and San Juan (both directions) had the most awesome flight attendants I've ever encountered on any airline!

On our return flight we got to San Juan and discovered our luggage never left Bonaire. We offered to go back and look for it (we figured it wouldn't take more than a week to find it) but they said they would send it over on the flight the next day (there is only one flight per day from Bonaire to San Juan). We received it at home yesterday (Wednesday).

There was some overbooking on our flight from San Juan to Dallas but we got on with no problem. When we got to Dallas we actually managed to catch a plane leaving 2 hours earlier than our scheduled flight so we got home significantly earlier than planned.

I can honestly say that other than the abandoned luggage and the fact that the movie on the way to San Juan was "The Legend of Johnny Lingo" our AA flights were smooth and trouble-free this trip.

As for the layover in San Juan, I am pretty sure that would be enough time but I can't say for 100% sure - it all depends on how fast you can move once you get in the terminal.

Never travelled with a baby on a prop plane - sorry.

Belinda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #195) on Thursday, March 4, 2004 - 11:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

R Sliwinski -

We're glad you found the newsgroup and it is our pleasure to help others as we have been helped.

Whenever there is a problem, you hear about it. When everything goes well, you don't.

I think you'll find that far more have had good luck with the AA service (and as far as that goes, Air Jamaica) than not. We have used it several times from DFW and have had no problems.

The 1.5 hour layover in San Juan should be more than enough time to make the Bonaire flight. You might spend a moment looking at the map of the airport in San Juan (http://www.angelfire.com/pe/sanjuanairport/airportmap.html) to get your bearings.

You'll notice that American uses Terminal D. I believe your flight to Bonaire will leave from the extreme east end of Terminal D, at the gate 1-2 area. You will take a small bus from the gate 1-2 area out to the parked plane. It can get a little hectic around those gates because there are so many flights leaving from the same two gates.

Don't hesitate to confirm before you get on the bus and before you get on the plane, that it is the Bonaire flight. At any given time, American may have more than a dozen flights going all over the Caribbean boarding from that area.

We've been on the SJU-BON turbo-prop flight several times when travelers had babies and small children. We don't remember any particular problems for the kids. In fact, it seems as if the noise of jets bothers the kids more than the turbo-props.

Do realize that the overhead in the turbo-prop plane is smaller than jets and will not accommodate as large carry-on luggage as on jets (American could tell you the exact dimensions possible). Unless you need to get to your carry-on during the flight it is not a problem, as the flight crew will place the carry-on in the nose of the plane when you board in San Juan and place it on the tarmac for your retrival when you land in Bonaire.

We hope your travel goes smoothly and that it is not too stressful for the 7 month old (and the parents!). Bonaire is a very interesting, different place. You're going to fall for that island.

Upon return, please do share your experiences so that others may benefit just as have you from Bonaire Talk.

Bon bini a Bonaire!

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #134) on Friday, March 5, 2004 - 1:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just got back from our second trip to Bonaire-Feb 7-23. Had another fabulous time and some new experiences. Due to the fact that we live so far away (we have to take 5 flights to get there). When we arrived in Seattle from Canada, we got our boarding passes for the next 3 flights however the American Eagle leg did not have seat assignment. Not being too concerned as they said we would get that in SJ. NOT!!!! We got bumped til the next day. Yes, the plane was overloaded with paying cargo and luggage, so they bump the people. I did notice that they didn't bump the people with children, just the couples. Our hotel and meals were provided for us in SJ and a monetary compensation. BUT, that's not the point and I would have been very upset if I only had a week to spend in Bonaire and had to spend one of it hanging around SJ. Next time I'll play their game and not book the first couple of days in Bonaire and stay in San Juan courtesy of American Eagle. Met a couple who got bumped with us - 9 trips to Bonaire - bumped 3 times. Good odds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By susan stine (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, April 4, 2004 - 10:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband and I are leaving for Bonaire in 22 days and we are curious if American Eagle has weight limits on luggage and if so how much? If anyone knows anything please let us know.
thanks Susan and Doug

p.s. we are very excited

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Thomas (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

susan

We just got back from our third trip using AA, we check four bags and keep them under 70 lbs. and have had no problem with American Eagle. So far we are 10 out of 10 trips to Bonaire with our luggage arriving the same time we did. Hope ya'll have a wonderful visit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #672) on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AE does have a limit of two checked bags per person. That does not include carry-ons checked at the gate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gianos (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 4:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I belive they have regular limits but last time we took them the plane was overloaded so not al bags made it on. My bags took a few days to show up from SJ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By susan stine (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well everyone, we are short-timing it today is
Friday and we will be leaving on sunday. I am already packing if anyone has any suggestions please don't hesitate to let me know. I am real nervous and excited. Par for the course with me when we travel. I am always afraid I am going to forget something. Thank you all for your input I am sure we will have a great time.
talk to you later
susan and Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig thomson (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Susan and Doug !!

I'll see you in San Juan on Monday !!

We'll have a great time !!!

See y'all soon.

Craig
Victoria, BC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1514) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, my suggestion is copy your passports and (if you have paper) plane tickets, so if you lose something you have a place to start.
You really need almost no clothes at all, but do toss in pair of light pants for the evening bugs.
And of course, pack essentials and a swimsuit in your carry on.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration