BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: What to take to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: What to take to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Oldham (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 5:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're coming in 10 days for the first time. We have our passports ready. What else do we need to get into Bonaire (ie. minimum amount of cash, credit cards)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #329) on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sun screen and a smile. I typically take some cash $300-500 but this last time I tried the local ATM. It worked fine and you can get USD or Guilders. Personally, I am beginning to think an ATM card and Guilders is the best way to go. I have not seen what the charges are but it should not be too bad. The cash should NOT be in large bills, $20s are best. Credit cards are accepted at most places. Remember that you will need $20pp USD (cash)at the airport as a departure tax. If you are renting a car, you will also need your drivers license.

Enjoy the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #138) on Saturday, April 3, 2004 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

ATM cards were the way to go for us but not all banks take your card, so don't be surprised if it spits it out. Kralendyk is so small, you just go down the street to the next bank with no problems. There is also a ATM Machine conveniently placed outside the entrance to Cultimara(the big grocery store). Cultimara also take Visa but not my bank card. Warehouse(another grocery store) doesn't take Visa, so bring cash. You'll get the hang of it but I always saved a couple hundred dollars in my passport in case my card failed. The bugs were real bad in Feb so I went to the drug store and got some antihistamine - they cost me $2.50/pill and they rationed me to only 6 tablets! Bandaids also cost a small fortune. So if you think you might need things like these, take them. Regardless, you WILL have a blast and you WILL be back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrea & Dave Bartlett (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 1:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

recently I read in one of the Dive magazines that the departure tax is now $25. This may not be accurate but would put back that much just to be safe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #828) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 8:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I bring down sunblock, mole skin,sutafeds, ibeprofen, bug spray and "ear drye"stuff. A good hair conditioner is a must for the ladies too.I find packing things in zip lock bags come in handy later on to keep cookies and chips crips and holds ice and wet things. You can get most of these things in town in cultimare at a reasonable price but I like having them with me. I know that some drugs, like anthistameis (sp) not over the counter on Bonaire.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration