BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: GETTING TO BONAIRE FROM CURACAO OR ARUBA
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: GETTING TO BONAIRE FROM CURACAO OR ARUBA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RALPH KIRA (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

HAVE FREE TICKETS TO EITHER ARUBA OR CURACAO-WHICH ISLAND IS IT EASIER TO GET TO BONAIRE FROM? WHICH ARILINES TO FLY TO BONAIRE? FROM ARUBA OR CURACAO?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #184) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ralph -

Perhaps someone with first-hand experience will add a note that is more accurate, but I'll get the ball rolling.

My understanding is that your airline choices bewteen Aruba or Curacao to Bonaire are BonairExel and Divi Divi. There is a third carrier, DCA, but I think most (not all) folks on this board would advise you to avoid them.

As far as which is easier to connect through, my guess (someone who knows please get the record straight) is that Curacao would be somewhat easier insomuch as you would not have to go through customs & immigration going to/from Bonaire.

I am going to be watching this thread to gain a better understanding, myself.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4722) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 8:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Aruba - DCA & BonairExel. The DCA flights stop in Curacao in one or both directions, BonairExel is non-stop. Not many flights a day though. Have flown BonairExel, and they were just fine.

Curacao - DCA, BonairExel, and Divi Divi. I've only flown the latter between Bonaire and Curacao and have been very happy with them. Lots of flights daily on BonairExel and Divi Divi, fewer on DCA.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #447) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ralph,

If you have a choice, go thru Cur. Cur has more options of getting to Bonaire. I've done the Aruba connection with BE several times and was not pleased. The problem is ticketing in Aruba if arriving from U.S. Aruba still doesn't have the bugs worked out for transition passengers. On the return, you will go thru Aruba immigration twice and US customs once....you could have an hour wait to go thru US customs (assuming you take the BE 1:15 flight that gets you to Aruba at the time the other flights from Aruba to the US are preparing to leave.

I'm sure Jake's good experience was related to the fact that he was able to purchase his ticket in Bonaire.

The biggest problem is still getting your ticket in Aruba...unless they've changed in recent days, there isn't any way to get your ticket in advance or ship your luggage direct from the US (you will pick up your luggage in Aruba and take it to the BE counter to re-check)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #187) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, Gregg -

Thank you.

I certainly learned something. Your first-hand experience is valued.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4735) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 11:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg,

My experience was going between the two islands. I wasn't making a connection to/from another airline in Aruba :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Stern (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are getting very frustrated in our attempt to find a way to get from Aruba to Bonaire. Does anyone have a suggestion. We are staying in Aruba from June 11 to June 18th and then have reservation in Bonaire on June 18 to the 28th. Last month we found several options for getting to and from but now when we check, there is nothing.
thanks
Melanie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #468) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 5:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Paul,

its pretty difficult to get in touch with Bonaire Excel to make reservations. However, once you get to aruba, you should be able to book your tickets to bonaire. Hard for us to believe that Bonaire Exel makes it so difficult to do business. I believe BE flies 3 flts per day...I've always taken the mid afternoon flight. An alternate way is to take DCE to Cur and then DCE to Bonaire... good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 5:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can someone tell us when the last BonaireExcel flight from Aruba to Bonaire is in the evening?-we can't get a response to email request to buy tickets so will just have to take a chance-any alternatives?-other airlines departing late in the day for Bonaire?any ideas about getting a response from them at all??thanks in advance-we're coming back in June!,Patti

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #477) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patti,
they are currently on the winter schedule; the mid afternoon flight departs at 4:30. If you are arriving on most airlines except USAir, you can make the flight if you can get the tickets. USAir flight arrives one hour later than the other flights and you can't make it. I've taken Delta on my last two trips and was able to make the connection. I believe the winter schedule last flight is something like 10:00 pm...its a killer if you don't get the mid afternoon flight. BE will be switching to their summer schedule but they have not posted it on their site. Last year (Sept 03) you could not get the afternoon flight (I think it left at 3:15) if you came on any of the US carriers. It was a relief when they adjusted their schedules for winter...hopefully, they will leave those flights alone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg-thanks so much for that valuable info-do you think their schedule changes for June? It's a little nerve-wracking flying in and just winging it from there-no pun intended!,P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #479) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 4:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patti,

I can't guess what BE will do...I think they change to the summer schedule in March. Hopefully somebody at BE reads these postings and will keep the afternoon flight so that travellers from the US can catch it. If so, you can be in Bonaire at 5:30...only a couple of hours after the AJ flight. It was a long layover last year 4-6 hrs if you have to catch the last one. I would reconsider if I had to do it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wightman (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 5:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg-thanks again-they did email a post this AM (coincidentally) with schedule-but I couldn't download it for some reason-will keep trying-it seems to be a major production-maybe in five years all the kinks will be ironed out-still no word on how to reserve though-hopefully they do read these posts-I sure would if it were my business-they will know just what to fix-we certainly want to support quality commuter services-as to layover? oh, well-what else is new??-the trip is grueling overall, so what's one more hassle-worth it though, always, to get to Bonaire,Patti

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #481) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 6:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patti,

I think BE could be sitting on a gold mine if they could begin to get their act together. The gold mine is that anybody in the eastern 2/3 of the US can get to Aruba in the afternoon on the same day using the more reliable US carriers. Then a quick hop to Bonaire. AJ is good but unless you live in a gateway city, its hard to make a connection in the same day. In spite of the opportunity, BE still struggles with the ability to sell their tickets. Failing to answer emails and telephone calls (in lieu of being able to book on-line) in a prompt fashion is inexcusable in a business that caters to people. I really want BE to be successful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sharon bustamante (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

i went to cheaptickets.com and they brought up the BE flight from cur to bon with the AA flight from Miami. It appears that i can purchase this on line through cheaptickets.com. I haven't yet finalized the purchase, so am not sure, but will post when i do know.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration