BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AJ - check in times....US & Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2004-02-01 to 2004-08-15: AJ - check in times....US & Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Ryan Goodman (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 9:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

with less that 24 hours to go...

What time do the ticket counters in Newark & Bonaire open...

When I called to confirm yesterday they gave me the 2.5 hours before line, which seems crazy. Last year we had to go out of Philly and no way was the counter open that early.

Also, when do they open the counter in Bonaire to check in for the 4:10pm return flight?

Thanks - hope to see everyone Tuesday night @ Gibi's !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #976) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I usually get to Logan 3 hours prior to travel (4 AM) and AJ is just opening. I am within the first dozen people in line and the line does happen quickly even at that hour in the morning.

In Bonaire I think it is either 12 or 1. I can't remember for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1343) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I usually get to Logan / BOS to check in 5:30 and never wait long. To me, the line is much shorter than the AA / SJU.

In BON I check in at 11 AM and then around 3 Maggie and I sit at Donkey Beach and wait for the flight to arrive. When we used to rent cars I would then proceed to the rental place to drop the car and then we went to the departure lounge....

Easy peasy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3141) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We do arrive at the designated hour in Newark and the counter is open at that time. Have a great trip!! CArole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #162) on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 8:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Me too Carole--I've arrived at the designated time at the counter in Newark, and have found myself already in back of a dozen people. I really hate that early check-in (I have to drive up from my parent's house at the Shore, about 1 hour), but wouldn't go late. That flight is usually packed, with people and luggage (all of us islanders traveling back with everything including the kitchen sink)! Ruth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3144) on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 4:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, you must be near Meryl??? Joe and I are in Morris Township ("up North") and you are coming from "down the shore" while you are in NJ...LOL! I have been very surprised the past few trips to Newark to actually see others already in line, as you said, waiting to check in. I remember the days when we would get there and the counter would still be locked up, dark and empty and then it would take forever to get the folks up and running behind the counter. I guess that was "pre" 9-11....now things are much different. The agents are there and ready to go before the sun comes up! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #164) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My first 17 years were spent in NJ. I grew up in Oakhurst, about 5 miles inland from the Shore, between Long Branch & Asubury Park. Then 10 years in DC, and now over 13 on Bonaire (but this is as south as I can go, since my Spanish sucks). If you've seen the green chrysler sebring convertible on Bonaire, with the "Jersey Girl" license plate in front, that's me (although Bonaire does not allow for Jersey Girl big-hair)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3145) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Joe and I will have to make a point of meeting you next time we visit in June! Remember the "big hair" days up here? LOL. May they rest in peace. I spent many a weekend in Belmar as a teen....we probably ran into each other back then and didnt' know it...small world, indeed. I always tell my husband that if we had money to invest and had kids to leave the property to that I would buy up Asbury Park land and just wait........it will revive...just a matter of time. Sad to see how it went from thriving to what it is today, tho. No kids, no investment in Asbury Park for us as the revival will take quite a while, for sure.

I'll keep an eye out for your Sebring...nice ride..we rented one out in the San Diego and took her out to the Anza Borrego Desert in spring to check out the blooming flowers and such. Nice ride, indeed. See you in June! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #166) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am sorry I didn't buy in Asbury Park already-it is on its way back, and I think it'll happen faster than people realize--and a good thing too. I loved going there as a kid, getting salt water taffy from Criterion & custard from Kohr's & then riding the tilt-a-whirl w/o puking (never did, but it always seemed possible!). Belmar was the 'long ride' (10 miles?) that we rarely did b/c it was "too far." We belonged to Philips Ave. Beach club in Deal.

I do love the sebring--now if it'd stop raining long enough to enjoy it as a convertible, I'm set. Find me in June--I'll be around; KFC will be celebrating its 10 year anniversary then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Leonard (BonaireTalker - Post #32) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How is the AJ checkin running in Bonaire nowadays? On my one and only trip the wait was staggering and all of it standing still in line with our luggage. This time around I will have my family (was on my honeymoon) so we all won't need to stand in place for an hour or so (I hope).

There seemed to be one line with 2 checkin lines, all classes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3149) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, were you there for the Doors concert? We saw many a great show at the Convention CEnter.

Larry: Are you asking about check in at Newark or Bonaire? In Bonaire we like to drop off the bags a few hours earlier than departure to avoid the lines. I think they still permit this but we have not been there since last June. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 9:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole, I saw The Band (their last concert I think), Cheap Trick & Renaissance at the convention center.....I don't think I'm the right age to have seen the Doors, even if I did like their music. Last summer I just missed Earth, Wind & Fire perform there--I didn't know the place was up & running again. Bruce & Clarence Clemmons & the E Street Band were my first concert ever-7th row, center, for $11 (that was a lot of money to a 14 year old in 1976!) in Red Bank--Born to Run had just come out. Doesn't get more Jersey than that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3152) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 12:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth....yup, I have a few years on you....but good music is good music! We used to see Bruce and the guys free down in AP and surrounding areas "way back when". Doors were there in 1967 or so. Lots of good bands at the Asbury Park Convention CEnter. Saw the Beatles in '64 in Atlantic City, too. What a scene! We will have to look you up in June and chat about some common threads in our lives! See you then....Joe is a KFC addict, so it won't be hard to find you and visa versa!! LOL. Ayo. Carole

PS I think we are straying way off topic and I can feel the Moderators coming our way soon.....LOL! cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #169) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 8:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gotta be brave to tell 2 Jersey Girls to move!
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3155) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 3:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

"For sure"! LOL. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Leonard (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 2:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole, where and how do you drop off the bags? I felt like a chump standing in line for ages, then after all the wait I got so excited and left my UW housing on the desk. Thankfully it was still there when I went back a few mins later. :D

I will be travelling from Bonaire using AJ in April and August, April with a 2yo and my parents, August with 2, 8, 12, and 18 yo - the less time we spend in line the better my flight will be. :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3166) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 1:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, drop by the airport during your stay and find out what time they will open up the AJ counter for bag check in. Since 9-11 there have been some changes. We used to be able to go there very early in the a.m. of our afternoon departure but post 9-11 it was a little later on in the morning. More time was then needed for preboard screening, I guess. Check at the counter during your stay for more information, but it should help you avoid those long, long lines later on. Good luck! CArole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4769) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had friends check in at 11am on AJ last month. Highly recommended - no or little line to wait in...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meg (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 6:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We flew out of Bonaire on AJ on Feb. 8. We checked our bags in around noon and then went into town for lunch and a fond farewell. Make sure you pay the departure tax at the airport BEFORE you get in line to check in.

Meg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Ryan Goodman (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

since I'm back, I'll answer my own question...

left the house @ 5:20am & got to Newark around 5:40am. Check-in was going strong. Took under 10 minutes to clear it & make our way to the security gate. The AJ flight was the first one out. They started to board the plane around 6:45am (no enforcement of pre-boards or wait for your row!) and we pushed back from the gate promptly at 7:15am.

On the way back, the ticket counter in Bonaire opens at 11am (not the 10am someone told us!)...we dropped bags there at 11:30am, no line, no hassles. They told us to be back by 3pm for the 4:15pm departure. We went back to the Plaza for lunch and more pool time and returned at 3pm. While the flight on Saturday was delayed a bit (no explanation), we easily made the connection in MoBay...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration