BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Passport or Birth Certificate
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Passport or Birth Certificate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve vetter (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 11:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Going to Bonaire in March. Not sure if we need to have a passport or certified copy of our birth certificates. What do some of you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1292) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You need to have a stamped birth certificate, not a copy, and a federal or state issued picture ID. Or, simply a passport, which is easier, and fairly quickly obtained. I've seen people travel with the BC, but not smoothly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 1:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

With all the trouble in the world and different rules in different countries, I would recommend the passport. They eliminate any hassles you may encounter - providing you have nothing to hide, of course! I have heard of too many problems with the birth certificate route so I will never take the chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #429) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The immigration people will barely glance at a passport...but can stare at a birth certificate for 5 minutes...highly recommend spending the money and getting a passport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #933) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I also recommend the passport. You go through customs more quickly. They tend to linger and ask more questions when traveling with a birth Certificate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (BonaireTalker - Post #91) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

our only complaint is that bonaire no longer uses the triangular stamp for the passports....just a generic square like other places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10249) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, I agree...I liked the triangle with the flamingo:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #281) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I also noticed they didn't record any information from our passports on departure. I guess it's possible they're collecting that from the airlines, but last time we were on the island, they seemed to be doing full exit checks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1297) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think we ought to start a movement to bring back the flamingo.
60,000 tourists might be right.
I'm looking into making some nice embroidered shirts with the airport logo.

Back on topic, State Dept. informs me my corrected passport was mailed yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10253) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Daniel, odd...they didn't record our exit in 2001, but last July they recorded both entry and exit dates...hmmm...lack of consistency...never!

Seb, glad that you will be legal soon:-) I like the t-shirt idea...wonder who we can email about bringing back the triangle flamingo stamp...anyone know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Jameson (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 9:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The passport is the only way to go. In 2000, American Airlines nearly refused to let me on the plane for our departure in Dallas. I was traveling on a birth certificate and driver's license. They claimed that many of the Caribbean countries frequently change their entry requirements with no notification and then fine the airlines if someone arrives with the wrong form of identification. It's a way of making money. They made me wait until they could reach immigration in Curacao, and we almost missed the plane. I'm not sure if this was all B.S. or not, but that's the story they told me. On the return, U.S. Customs and Immigration was extremely rude and basically said, "Get a passport. I don't have to let you into the country." The U.S. Department website still says the birth certificate is OK, but I won't leave the country without one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #103) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i agree...passports make things so much easier...it's worth the money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1301) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yay, I got my new passport back today, corrected, in less than two weeks. They shoot for two weeks apparently, website information notwithstanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10296) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yay Seb, you're legal now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Jennings (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just arrived back home from Bonaire last night. My wife and I travelled with birth certificates and had no trouble entering or leaving. We travelled through San Juan and had no trouble with U.S Customs, We got thru as easily as the rest of our group that had passports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Leonard (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have had a passport all my life (Dad was in US AF) and have never understood why anyone travelling internationally would not prefer to have one. Other than sheer laziness why not get a passport if you are making the effort to travel overseas? Not trying to slam anyone that prefers a flimsy, easily damaged piece of paper that just looks fake the second you get it (although mine is more interesting as an American born overseas). FWIW, all my kids have passports, even my 21 mo. Just faster and easier in every case around the world that I have visited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By barbara sands (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb and everyone, I've read your messages and I'm convinced I need a passport along with my NYS driver's license, but I'm traveling mid-march. Any suggestions for how to get it in a speedy way? Who to contact? I live in upstate NY.

Thanks, Barbara

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #274) on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 6:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb
I just opened this and read a bit I'd not seen before....If you can get the airport Flamingo digitized, my dear wife has a Pfaff Embroidery Machine that can embroidery on almost anything. Technology is way over my pay grade, but if you can ship me a digitized file, I'll give er a shot

Barbara, there's services that can get you a passport almost overnight. Google for United States Passports

Good luck

funchi boy (the names change with the season).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1336) on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 9:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barbara, they have a two week turnaround on renewals, but on new applications I don't know. The passport dept. seems to be incredibly efficient right now. Get all your stuff, real birth certificate, and send it in. Their website is excellent, I just type "us passport" in google and I get there quick.

JOE THAT RULES. I have not yet paid to have it digitized, though they did it already on spec, we will talk more about this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1650) on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 11:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Barbara,

This url is the US Passport Service: http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html . The 'Processing Time' link in the first group has a 2 week 'expedited service' listed. Also, many, if not most, post offices are 'passport offices so you can cut out one pass through the mails. Check out the info here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1651) on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 12:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb & Joe,

I can digitize the stamp from my passport and email/cd it if desired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1652) on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 1:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How things change when we aren't watching, or paying attention. I just looked in my 1994-issue passport and found a 1996 'Flamingo Airport Bonaire Immigratie' rectangular stamp-- and a 1994 and later'Flamingo's. ??!!??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1343) on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 1:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, do you mean digitize it for an embroidery machine, or to view electronically?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1653) on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 5:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Image only; I don't have the embroidery machine software.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1355) on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 2:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That would be the digitizing process from what they tell me, Glen. I went through the same hoop, so to speak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1656) on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bottom line: can I be of help in producing an image file?? :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1359) on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 6:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No, Glen, there is a gentlemen who has already done that, they provide the data in whichever machine format is desired, so the thread can be hooked up and away you go. joe if I'm wrong here give a holler.
So unless you have great connections in the rag or gimme cap trade I would say no, but thanks for the offer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1657) on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 7:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, well. Maybe next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #283) on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 9:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Your right sebmeister. The wife is gone for the weekend, but it's a pfaff 7350 and can read out of XP into whatever the Pfaff format is? I think her software will read PCD, PCS, PCQ, DST, KSM and EXP files. Not that I know what any of them mean. What kind of size logo are you looking for and on what?

the funchitronicator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1362) on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 10:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Joe, I was looking for a hat sized and shirt sized logos of the Flamingo airport stamp, I figured some nice cotton golf shirts would be excellent, getting an idea of an order size and producing some. Does she have the unit for a business or just plain fun?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #285) on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 11:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

just for fun. She runs a home health agency full time so it'd be hit or miss on a larger order. If u can get the file into one of those formats, maybe I'll learn how to use the maching...YEAH RIGHT. If your looking for commercial production you might wanna look online, I get conference shirts and all kinda stuff that has logos on it pretty much made to order. Would be glad to give it a shot with personal stuff though. Probably best thing would be to send me the file and I can try it on a scrap and see if it works before you invest in shirts, etc.

laters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1658) on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And there could be the tee shirts that have the Flamingo stamp (large size) and the words 'I want my Flamingo' on the back. Another product (line) to go with BT tee shirts, etc.???

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration