BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Should I carry on my 2nd stage reg and console when flying?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Should I carry on my 2nd stage reg and console when flying?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Wasko (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 10:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I understand that there can be hassles with airport security when trying to bring your second stage regs and consoles on board as carry-on.
Does anybody have and experience or advice on this issue? I'm flying down to Bonaire from Boston in January.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Vleeming (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #249) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 11:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There's no problem. In the northern part of NA I usually have to explain what it is, but its never been a big issue. The worst thing thats happened is a security agent asked me to turn on the reg. . .

Darryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Loo Hoo (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9996) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 2:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, agree with Darryl...we always carry our regs on with us (mostly because if our luggage is lost we have our own regs)...but we have never had problems, even recently with all the security increases...they may ask you to open the bag up and see it...Darryl..."turn on the reg" did you laugh (to yourself?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2979) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Never had any problems and always bring my reg. on board...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #257) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 4:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always carry ours on. The last trip was 3 weeks ago to Fla. They rarely even look at our carry on's twice. Occasionally I get asked if it's a dive reg, when I answer yes, TSA passes it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Wasko (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, January 5, 2004 - 12:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It is our plan to carry-on the regs but just wanted to make sure there were no hassles. We're leaving Saturday, 1/10 and can't wait. Now if I can only avoid getting a cold or the flu.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Tuesday, January 6, 2004 - 10:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have always carried my regulator & gauges because I was taught( many years ago) that the pressure levels in the cargo hold could affect both and possibly cause the regulator to free flow and the gauges(depth) to be inaccurate. Never had any problems with security.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #275) on Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - 7:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, you were actually taught wrong. The airplane fuselage is a pressure vessel. When at altitude, the pressure inside is much higher than outside. Pressurizing only the upper 1/2 of a cylinder would result in significant structural problems (imagine the floor bowing down in the middle).

Airplane cargo holds are not necessarily heated/cooled, but are always pressurized. The only sections typically heated or cooled are those spaces used for carrying pets. On some airplanes (e.g. DC-10) the galley is in the lower level, and food is brought up on an elevator.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration