BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: I believe, I believe!
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: I believe, I believe!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Thom Thomas on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As I read through these threads of all the horror stories with ALM, I have to believe only the small minority of persons whose trip is upset is posting and that the majority whose trip went off without a hitch are happy campers and have no real reason to post here. I just keep telling myself, positive thoughts about airlines and my trip to Bonaire on June 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's a mixed bag, George.

Having just (bravely!) flown ALM to Miami a couple of weeks ago (the first time in over 18 months that I've flown ALM other than inter-island), they were doing pretty well relative to my expectations - they were only 2 hours late leaving Bonaire to Miami. Since Miami was our destination, we were fine with that. However, I suspect lots of other folks missed their connections. Service was decent on the flight.

On the way back our flight from Orlando (where we ended up later in the week) on American was forced to return to land back in Orlando after a "seagull incident". American reticketed us for a flight the following day (after nearly 3 hours in lines to accomplish this) on American all the way to Curacao. From there it was ALM to Bonaire - only about 30 minutes late there.

However bad these delays sound, they were a lot better than I expected with ALM (call me an ALM pessimist). In any event, just budget lots of connect time for any flight you choose and you should be fine. As someone else on BonaireTalk said, it's all the luck of the draw - so, assume the worst, and then 99% of the time you'll be happy when it doesn't happen (no matter which airline you fly) :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for us - we are travelling ALM Miami to Bonaire direct on Saturday and really want to get there to toast the sunset.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Thom Thomas on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wish you the best of luck, Gail. Is this a direct flight with no stop in Curacao? let us know how the flight goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 9:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let us know, will be watching for you Gail!! Have a wonderful trip!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Saturday flight is a direct which is good - even our return flight on the 12th is also direct. We're packed and just waiting.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good luck flying, Gail. Paradise is ready for you! (And a special greeting for the chalet, as well.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas R. Gastio on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 9:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ALM Found out the hard way stands for ALL LUGGAGE MISSING>>>>>>>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 8:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

how about Almost Left Miami?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan & Joan Zale on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

George that's pretty much it. We have ten trip to Bonaire and most trouble free. The only problems we ever had were snowy weather out of NY once and the AA Airline Pilots job action a few years ago, wow, that was a real trip! As a matter of fact I don't think we ever had a problem with ALM!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 8:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

"The luck of the draw"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone, we are thinking of different ways to get to Bonaire from London Heathrow this December.

In the past, we have used ALM and KLM from Amsterdam. We try to avoid ALM as we had to 3 days with no luggage the first year, and the second and third years we also experienced problems. Last December we flew KLM direct. The service was wonderful, but the seats were very small for such a large plane, my boyfriend was extremely uncomfortable as he is of a rather large frame!!! Has anyone out there travelled from the UK to Bonaire a different way. Thanks so much, Sarah from a wet Kew Gardens, though apparently we have a heat wave on the way!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sarah,

As I remember from a whole 3 fall months in Epping
and New Harlow, a heat wave is when you reach 70
degrees F. It's all relative, isn't it?? Warmer is better!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 7:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, I totally agree, 70 degrees is expected here on Wednesday, who knows, it may even creep up to 75!!! Watch this space... Don't suppose you have any alternative route/airline info??? I got chatting to a taxi driver on Bonaire in December and he was telling me that there would be more airlines flying to Bonaire in the near future. He also mentioned that the airport was going to be extended, don't suppose anyone has news on that??

Goodnight all

Sarah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 8:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Air Jamaica flies daily from London to either Kingston or Montego Bay. Presently, there are two(soon to be three) flights from MOBAY to Bonaire per week I am serioiusly considering a trip to see a decent show and having dinner at Mr. Chows! The price is not that bad, I might add.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 5:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Michael, tell me more about Mr. Chows!??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mr. Chow is in Knightsbridge. It is an upscale chinese restaurant that used to have Frech chefs and Italinan waiters! The food was unbelievable! There was a Mr. Chow in NYC and also LA, but I do think they have closed. Shall we all make reservations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 9:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sarah,

No relevant alternative airline info for you--my trip was
three months for business in 1962.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Michael

My boyfriend and I lived in Knightsbridge and South Kensington up until about a month ago, we're now in Kew. We did go to a few restaurants in the area including a fab thai place... funny how we don't pay much attention to what's on our door step... your picture

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration