BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Canada to Bonaire?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Canada to Bonaire?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Jones (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, November 2, 2003 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am interested in getting to Bonaire from Canada (Ontario). Does anyone have info on which airlines provide flights, or alternatively what connections to airlines in the USA or any other islands would be practical. Naturally, as few flight connections as possible are being hoped for.
Also would be interested in any companies that provide charters to Bonaire from Canada.

Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #157) on Sunday, November 2, 2003 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave -

Welcome to Bonaire Talk! I think you will find you have uncovered an incredibly valuable source of intelligence on all things Bonaire.

No scheduled airline that I know of flies non-stop from North America to Bonaire (with the possible exception of DCA which I would recommend avoiding).

I think if you would go to any of several online travel search engines, i.e., Orbitz, Cheaptickets, Travelocity, Sidebar, etc., or the Web site of your favourite airline you will learn quickly what are your routing options.

The most direct flights into Bonaire from the north are Air Jamaica through Montego Bay and American Airlines through San Juan.

Air Jamaica (http://www.airjamaica.com) does not have a flight originating in Canada, but you could pick them up at one of several eastern U.S. gateways.

With American (http://www.aa.com) you might be able to start in Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal.

I think you will find some additional options (perhaps U.S. Airways and Delta) if you fly into Aruba or Curacao with a connection using BonaireExel or Divi Airways to Bonaire.

If you choose one of these island-hoping routes, be sure to understand the inter-island baggage allowances. The inter-island planes are smaller than the jets from North America and the baggage and carry-on allowances tend to be correspondingly less, as does the physical size of the overheads for carry-ons.

There are a number of folks from your part of Canada on this board. I hope they will add their personal experiences. In the meantime, try the travel search engines or your favourite airline.

Happy hunting!

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Delores Savage (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, November 2, 2003 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave,

Air Canada flies out of Toronto direct to Aruba on Saturdays, then you can get BonaireExel to Bonaire. Air Canada Vacations offers charter packages to Aruba, but not Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julie Philip (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Sunday, November 2, 2003 - 10:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

\font blue{ Dave,

I've got a flight from TO to Curacao, with a puddle jumper to Bonaire, I don't know the airline yet(as this is through a dive travel agent). I'll check into it tomorrow and email you OK?
If you want the agent's name as well, just let me know. He's TO based ( on the Danforth)and he's been to Bonaire many times.

Julie}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julie Philip (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, November 3, 2003 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave,

Skyservice is the charter that goes direct from TO to Curacao, then Bonaire Excel is the Puddle jumper from there to Bonaire.They depart on Sundays .
Hope this helps, Julie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fiona Rattray (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #220) on Monday, November 3, 2003 - 1:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Saw an article in the paper that said Air Jamaica was resuming flights from Toronto this winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jill Ganderton (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #123) on Monday, November 3, 2003 - 3:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dave,
Welcome to Bonaire Talk, all the people here are terrific and are wonderful at sharing their experiences. They helped us enormously, now maybe I can return the favour a bit!

Some info for you:

We are returning to Bonaire from Toronto this Christmas, and will be going with American again. Last year we went via Miami and San Juan; arrived around 9pm after a 6.30 am start. We left Bonaire 7am (yuk!) getting into Toronto around 10.30pm.

This year we are going American to Miami (leaving still at 6.30am) and on to Curacao (arriving 2.30pm), then puddle jumping with Dividivi Air which seems to be very highly thought of. Going via Curacao gets us to Bonaire earlier than the other route, AND we get to leave at lunch time on the way home!

There is a charter through Sunquest (sunquest.ca) which goes to Curacao weekly from about $669 Cdn, times of flights are good,and you can get Dividivi Air (baibini.com) from there very reasonably priced.

If you need any more info, please feel free to e-mail.
Jill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #104) on Monday, November 3, 2003 - 5:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Fellow Canadian Dave. There is no easy way to get to Bonaire from Canada, however it is easier out of Toronto compared to Vancouver (I am 500 miles north of Vancouver and it takes me 3 days down and 2 days back- 4 different flights, whew!!!!!) If you can do the Toronto-Aruba or Curacao-Bonaire that would be the best way. I always have to thru Vancouver-Seattle-Dallas-San Juan-Bonaire. Whatever way you go, you will not regret it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #158) on Monday, November 3, 2003 - 6:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave -

There! I thought you might get a bit of help.

It is most gratifying when those with direct experience that I lack on a topic jump in. You are hearing from folks who have actually done what you are trying to do.

And I must concur with Lorraine's closing sentiment, whatever the effort, it will be worth it. But one word of caution: this Bonaire thing can be addictive.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration