BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Travelocity? WARNING! WARNING!
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Travelocity? WARNING! WARNING!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jess (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, October 4, 2003 - 7:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

To try and shorten a LOOONG (but actual) nightmare - do not use Travelocity. Twice received confirmation #'s for flights by email but tickets never arrived. Third time I called - was "guaranteed" by supervisor ("senior agent") that tickets would arrive next day. Didn't happen. Called again and conversed with another "senior agent" who showed complete disregard for my problem. Bottom line - three times I received confirmation from Travelocity re. flights. Three times I got no tickets. Only way I found out was by calling Travelocity - they never bothered to let me know that the flights "just will not work. Don't know why our agents booked those flights"

Called a travel agent. Fifteen minutes later she had us on the way to Bonaire for $20.00 more than the Travelocity tickets. Sending her cigars and bourbon with the payment.

After fighting Isabel - can't wait to get to Bonaire for my brides 25th anniversary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8884) on Saturday, October 4, 2003 - 12:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jess, I used Travelocity a couple of years ago to get to Bonaire, no problems. However, I used CheapTicktes to get there in July, and had some major problems. AA had cancelled my flight from LAX, and they told me that there were no alternative flights except for the next day (which overlapped my route to get to Bon) go figure. I ended up calling AA directly and got things worked out, still using the CheapTicket (it had already been paid for). I think with the airlines canceling flights on a daily basis, the websites like Travelocity, Cheapticktes, etc. can't keep up with their bookings and are limited as to what they can "rebook" for their customers. Glad you got it worked out and have a great time:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Belinda Z (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I also had a nightmare with a flight booked through Travelocity to Anguilla last year. Flights got cancelled by AA and we never got notification, we picked our seats on the flights and ended up sitting over 10 rows apart for the longest leg of our trip, on the return flight even though we had booked our flight 6 months in advance the only seats we could get together were in the very last row. Since that ordeal, I always book with the airline direct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Logan ( Post #1) on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 10:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A long time lurker here....

Being a former part time travel agent, I have a suggestion. Use Orbitz, or Expedia, or Travelocity to find the best flights/fares. Verify directly with the airline that the flights/fares are available. Then book the trip with the airline, either thru the airline website or by phone. Reduces the chance of not being notified of critical info, such as schedule changes.

I doubt this is what the booking services have in mind but that's life.

I prefer Orbitz because of its matrix format, but many times I have found US Airways trips that turned out to be non-existant when I tried to "book" them thru Orbitz. By that, I mean I selected an itinerary and then began the booking process to get all the flight/price info.

Your best bet is to always deal with the air carrier directly.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1259) on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 5:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Jim or one step better, book with a local agent. It gives them a little commission and if there is a problem or price reduction then they can resolve this matter. I use Michelle at TMS (the BHG US reps) in MA.

Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #583) on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 9:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After reading this thread, I went back and checked my flights, some of them had 'not confirmed' on them. They all had minor time changes and all of the flights were good on the airlines' web sites.
Some airlines constantly change flights departure and/or arrival times depending on the airports' juggling of gate times.

I always cross-check Travelocity vs the airlines the day before I leave just to make sure nothing has slipped by me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #831) on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 10:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I booked with Orbitz recently (AA schedule with a MUCH better price than the AA website), after I got the orbitz confirmation, I called AA and confirmed that they also showed the reservation, then asked them to email me a confirmation --- which they didn't, but I received one in the mail a week or so later. It also showed the price Orbitz had confirmed.

I would always double-check with the airline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Vleeming (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #231) on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 1:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I found as well that you can't always get the best deal by going to the airline directly. Sometime you can get better deals through the online agencies. I would always, like Josie said, check with the airline directly though . . .

Darryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #355) on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 9:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I check all of them...from Orbitz, Bestfares, Travelocity, Expedia and the airlines direct....they can all be different

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #834) on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 10:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg's right --- I don't book anything until I've found the best. Sidestep often finds something NO-ONE else has!! But, I always verify that the airline direct doesn't have something better.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration