BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: DCA advice
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: DCA advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My family and I are traveling on DCA from Curacao to Bonaire after arriving on Air Jamaica from Newark. We are wondering if there is any advice you could give us. Is all our luggage going to fit on the "new" Twin Otters? We are on the 4:00 flight out of Curacao. We would have done Divi Divi, but we have all our dive gear to lug, so I think we would be too heavy. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4384) on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Darren,

Assume it won't fit and therefore will not join you on the leg from Curacao to Bonaire, and thus you should pack what you need for the evening in a carry-on. Your luggage will probably arrive a few hours after you do, on the nightly MD-80 flight from Curacao. If it does arrive on the same flight you're on, count your blessings :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't want my luggage to be on a different island than me! Well, we will have to bring all that is necessary with us on carry-on. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2436) on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 8:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Daren, just curious as to why you aren't taking AJ the rest of the way from MB into Bonaire? Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 10:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We originally planned it that way, just Newark to Bonaire via Montego Bay. When we learned that our friends were going to Bonaire on certain dates, we had to change our flights, and the days we wanted to travel had no direct AJ service to Bonaire. AJ allowed us to change our tickets with service to Curacao instead. We have taken AJ from Newark to Bonaire before, and we have had no trouble except last time where they canceled our flight from MBJ-EWR due to mechanical trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno de Bree (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 9:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please, is there anybody out there who can tell me a possitive story about the DCA. Since January every time I had something to do with them they f....... u...(excuse my french). AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #214) on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, we used them last July. The flight left Maimi 20 minutes late due to T-storms, got to Bonaire almost on time, Capt made up a little in flight. The return trip was the same, left Bonaire on time, got into Miami 20 minutes late due to avoiding a T-storm. All luggage arrived in tack and on time both ways. How's that? Now, it they will just do it again in 2 1/2 weeks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Schmetzer (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On our trip at the beginning of June the only problem we had was they flew into Curacao instead of Bonaire to pick up passengers from a couple of cancelled flights. That put us into Bonaire around 7:00pm instead of 5:00pm. No big deal. Gave us a chance to check out the duty-free shops for the return trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1176) on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Funny story:

A friend from Cape Cod took DCA. They stopped in Curacao to pick up a band. They waited 4 hours to all the band members to show up. I kid you not.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (BonaireTalker - Post #90) on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 10:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

DCA OK.

I flew DCA round trip last month and it was fine. Miami to Bonaire to Miami.

Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick LIte (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 1:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just came back from Bonaire and flew DCA to and from Curasao. On both legs my flights were canselled after I received my boarding pass and I had to make arrangement and pay for a flight to Aruba, stay over 1 night and fly out the next day.

Although Aruba is not a bad place to be layed over... the out of pocket costs hurt. They said they are not responsible.

Find other options

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno de Bree (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

He, I asked possitive stories. Negative stories you sadly hear from most DCA "patients".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4411) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, after American Eagle was delayed on Tuesday because of a late arrival the night before (because of the Montserrat volcano eruption on Sunday), I rerouted myself on Divi Divi to Curacao and caught the DCA flight from there to Miami (with lots of trepidation). Much to my pleasant surprise the DCA flight left on time and arrived in Miami in time. 25 minutes later (I rushed a lot) I was at my connecting flight in Miami, just in time for boarding.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #292) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

think this is the first time I've heard you say anything good about DCA... or were you plugging Divi Divi :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Long (BonaireTalker - Post #72) on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 8:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about DCA lately leaving from Miami to Bonaire? Leaving from Houston to Bonaire, it has about the shortest time lapse. Gary Long

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herman mowery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #231) on Thursday, October 2, 2003 - 9:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We flew DCA in July and for the most part it was good. We were on time leaving MIA but were rerouted to Curacao for a stopover. If they had did a better job of explaining what we were to do, it would have been a lot better. Basically, we had to get off the plane, enter though a side door and go back to a gate. Trouble was, we got in the wrong line (which started outside the door) and spend 20 minutes or so waiting there when we did not have to. The remaining flight was good although we did get into Bonaire about 1 hr later due to the stop. The return flight also had the stop as well (this one we knew about) and because of the experience coming down it went smooth. We have used DCA the last 2 year and so far this is as bad as it has gotten. No lost luggage, they have departed vary close to on time and with the exception noted above, we have arrived on time.. As airlines go so far, they seem to be treating us ok.....Scary isn't it.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration