BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AA sked changes
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: AA sked changes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1222) on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Commencing Jan. 8 there will ONLY be service on AA Fri., Sat., Sun., and Mon. I read this on a travel agent memo.

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #819) on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 8:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, what are they going to do about those of us already booked on other days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1224) on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 8:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie, call your travel agent or the airline..I have no clue but it should be early enough to re book??

One reason I do not like AA is the fear of being bumped in SJU. And now, with only a few flights, what if you MISS YOUR MONDAY flight?? You sit in SJU until Fri.??? UGHH..

Also, I am aware of 3 single males who have been bumped in San Juan. Not good..

Oh here is a thought, one of them was flown the same night to Curacao and then took Divi to Bonaire..so that might be an option..if you get bumped that is..

:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #264) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not looking good folks.

I have spent most of the morning since reading Ann's post searching for flights. I have a group trip (hopefully) booked 17 to 25 Feb.

When I DID find flights on alternate dates the price had jumped $400.00+ per ticket - OUCH!!!

Sent out an e-mail an hour ago to my travel agent asking for verification and alternatives. Will let you know what I am told.

Fingers are crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1225) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

YOU SHOULD NOT have to pay the difference UNLESS you are not ticket..sorry to shout..LOL..

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Cousino (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #265) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ann. It is ok to shout, I was shouting "NO" when I read your previous post.
Unfortunately the group's tickets have not been issued yet:-{(}.

I have been looking into Air Jamaica out of JFK would mean having to overnight in NYC, which for me would be fine, would love to visit the Village. However it might doom the "Group Trip".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1482) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about planning through Curacao or Aruba with BonaireExel or even Divi??? Only a short flight on the 'little ones'.

I used to do that through Aruba when Air Aruba was flying and from Curacao, linking with ALM. Always worked well. American even held a flight in Curacao once when weather made ALM late from Bonaire-- A¥A stews were pissed but... Better morning departure time, too!! Maybe we are going 'back to the future'!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #171) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie-
You bring up a good point: my flight down is Monday, Feb 16. EVERY time I fly down to BON, I end up staying in San Juan for at least 2 days (on their dime, but still, I'm sick of it). Now, if it happens, I'll be staying til Friday?? Uggggh......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4513) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A few more details on the American Eagle flight schedule reduction:

- AE reduced flights to all three of the ABCs - Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao

- Scuttlebutt (rumor) has it that even though flights to Bonaire were generally high load (approaching 90% on average), because the passenger itinerary originated outside of San Juan, AE got only a fractional part of the ticket fees, with American taking the lion's share. Since flights from San Juan to the ABCs are just about the longest (and therefore operationally most costly) flights AE has, they were a prime target for cost reduction - AE can make more money on short haul flights like to the Dominican Republic or the Virgins.

- As Annie pointed out, American is responsible for rerouting you at no additional cost if you have already been ticketed.

- The Bonaire government is in discussions with AE to see if there's any way to change their minds. Additionally, pressure has been increased on BonairExel to extend their inter-line agreements beyond just KLM so that they can be booked via travel agents and other airlines in the U.S. - that may help alleviate some traffic pressures, allowing routing through Aruba and Curacao for now and Sint Maarten soon. This would also smoothen out transfers in Aruba and Curacao, as bags could then be checked through instead of the current pick-up and re-check required.

- Here's what was sent out from AE yesterday or the day before:

Effective January 8, 2004 we will operate SJU-BON just 4 times a week (FR/SA/SU/MO) southbound.

The decision was made based on current market economical conditions.

We will continue to monitor market performance and will further evaluate schedule additions.
- There was a hiccup in Sabre (the computer reservations system used by American) which showed the schedule change starting in November. That is obviously not the case and was a entry error which will be corrected the next time Sabre is reloaded with routings, which is Sunday.

Hope that helps...

Jake

PS If anyone in the know knows more or has newer details, please share and update/correct the above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #396) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

@ AA.com, if you just input BON to ORD for 12 March 2004, the PREFERED routing is leave BON @ 5:10 pm on KLM, arrive Lima @ 8:00 pm; change to AA & leave Lima @ 7:58 am on the 13th, arrive New York @ 6:17 pm; leave New York @ 9:00 pm & arrive @ Chicago @ 10:35 pm. That's even worse than the BON to SJU to AUA to MIA to ORD they tried to re-book us on two years ago!
Sure hope AA can re-schedule us using BonairExecel through either CUR or AUA, even if it needs to include MIA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Bock (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If there really is just a hiccup in Sabre wouldn't AE know? I've been told I have to rebook to a different date as my flight is on Nov. 6th. Anyone have the announcement from AE giving the dates that I could email to Alaska's partner desk who is handling my tickets. They know nothing about this having a wrong date in the system?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette Roswell - The Last Bite Bakery (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Mary.

I don't know if this will help...but my husband is scheduled to fly out of Bonaire (on AA thru San Juan to Dallas and on and on into the states) on Dec. 27 and returning on Dec. 31. The travel agent called us on Monday saying we would have to re-book the flight as they had "been cancelled" by AA. When we arrived at the agency, the owner said they had no info regarding what AA was willing to do regarding paying for any additional legs of the journey or refunds if Mark (my husband)could not re-schedule to meet other flight options. Long story short, we called on Tues. and were told it was indeed a mistake and that the info would be corrected in the system with our being able to confirm this on Monday coming (the 15th). This seems to follow what Jake said about the hiccup and it being corrected with the update on Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #158) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A/A flt. Miami to San Juan to Bonaire cancelled. America offered full refund, I negotiated ???? a swap for a roundtrip flight to Curacao, went on line made DCA reservations and paid for a roundtrip DCA flight to Bonaire. Next time it will be DCA all the way !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1226) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

when given options know there is ONE daily nonstop flight to and from MIA to CUR so with Bonaire E it could be an option?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By constance (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 9:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am not sure what the "mistake" is that everyone is referring to but I was called by AA yesterday and told that they will not be flying to Bonaire on Tues, Wed and Thurs, starting when I am not sure, but affecting my Dec/Christmas vacation. They will fly me to Aruba and then I am on my own. I have tried to email the contact I saw on here for BonairExel but I have not received a reply and am wondering if I can snorkel that far? Our return flight is not affected as it is on Tuesday morning so I guess it is just the Monday flight returning to San Juan. Anyone have any idea on how to book an Aruba to Bonaire flight? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4520) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Constance - read my other post - call American back on Monday the 15th (once they have reloaded Sabre with the right routings) and ask to have your original itinerary reinstated. Explain to them they screwed up and now they need to make good.

Same goes for all the rest of you who were on American flights to Bonaire anytime before January 8th - don't do anything - wait till Monday the 15th of Sept and reconfirm your flights then. If you've already done something, hopefully it's reversible...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #820) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's a good job finally arriving in Bonaire is worth the hassle of getting there!!!

On checking with American, I'm told my return (on a Wed) isn't flying, but I can come back on Tuesday, which contradicts the press release above. I'll call again tomorrow. Not too much of a big deal if that's the case, as I'm scheduled for five weeks on BON.

Alan's return two weeks before me is a BIG mess. When will I learn? Despite my own apprehensions about not booking all the way on AA, I booked him back into BWI, then Air Tran from BWI to ROC, saving about $100 and an hour or so. HOWEVER, whilst his return is on a Monday and the BON-SJ change doesn't affect him, AA cancelled his flight from SJ to BWI, putting him on a later one that arrives in BWI an hour after the AirTran flight leaves!! This means he has to overnight in Baltimore, plus the $50 fee forchanging the AirTran flight, OR, pay American $246 MORE to route him home via O'Hare to Rochester.

Also, get this: I'm thinking that maybe he could fly back from SJ to ROC on Jet Blue ($173), so I asked American to calculate his fare just to SJ on the return. That would be $382 MORE than if he kept his original flight from SJ to BWI. No, I don't think I'd dare book him on JetBlue and justhave him pick up his bags in SJ (which has has to do anyhow to go through customs) and ignorethe SJ-BWI flight on American, just go catch the Jet Blue flight. He's travelling alone and doesn't deal well with stress on his own, and I know something would happen....

I think I'll call tomorrow and see if I can persuade American to honor their original fare, but route him back alll the way to ROC via ORD.

I HATE this!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #324) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie..empathize with you on getting to Bonaire..one thing to remember is to always do all your connections with one airline if possible..use their partners and book all the way thru..you can now see what happens othrwise...hope Alan gets his ticket straightened out...Jet Blue has an amazing sale on right now...but that prob dos'nt help you..we are gonna miss you on Bonaire..we arrive Feb 29 th ! you better leave that apartment in good shape for us ! Ha ha !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #821) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just got off the phone with Mark at American.

I'm all set, just have to come home a day earlier.

Alan returns the same day he was scheduled, and American agreed to book him all the way home via O'Hare and honor the fare for that route that was effective when we booked on 8/24, without us incurring the $100 change fee. (Nice of them, eh -- we wouldn't have had to change if they hadn't changed their schedule). So, it just costs an additional $146, plus we just eat the AirTran reservation from Baltimore to Rochester because that's now worthless.

LESSON: Book all the way through on one airline (or their partners). Last year, Alan's return reservation was just "cancelled", and neither American or Delta would accept responsibility. It all worked out, but only took four hours on the phone from Bonaire to AA in Dallas.

American also confirmed the new San Juan-Bonaire schedule (don't know when this becomes effective):

San Juan to Bonaire: Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon

Bonaire to San Juan: Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues

The question now is: if you arrive on Monday, but your bags don't, do you have to wait until Friday before there's a chance they catch up with you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1489) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Re: wait for luggage. Hopefully, A¥A can find a way to send it through Curacao/Aruba. Been done in the past!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 7:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wait for Luggage... An excellent suggestion. For travelers never having crossed over on Curacao from an American carrier to a local one that does not have agreements, you will HAVE to pick up your luggage, clear customs and immigrations, go the length of the terminal to the ticketing area, and go through the booking procedure again. A 45 minute connection is rarely enough to make the crossing. The same applies if you leave Bonaire on a local carrier. When you arrive on Curacao you will have to claim your luggage, and proceed to the departure area allowing enough time to check-in. Tight connections usually end up in grief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #954) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 9:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie, I would explain to AA that since they have changed the tickets, YOU will be assessing THEM a $100 change fee. Why in the heck not??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #168) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb I tried that... might as well pee on your foot, you get the same warm feeling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
Just wanted to add that I was afflicted with the AA change fiasco. Last week was called, told I had to change my reservation. Yesterday they called to tell me of some nebulous time change. I took the opportunity to check whether the original change was necessary. I was told that in fact I could go on the original flights. So was able to confirm that this purposed schedule change doesn't go into effect until January 26th ( so i was told ) of 2004. Well really all I can say is that November atleast is business as usual. thanks for the heads up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By spongebob (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1157) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

received my airline tickets today from AA - still indicates a Thursday arrival in bonaire (from san juan on AE)...

(month of november)

but i got to admit all this chatter about the schedule change is making me nervous;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hertzberg (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was also temporarily afflicted with the schedule change. My flights are Wed Dec 24, returning on Thu Jan 1. They told me last week the flights were cancelled. Called back yesterday and they said it was a mistake, the flights are ok. I double-checked on aa.com and sure enough, my reservation is there (it had disappeared last weekend, then reappeared).

By the way, these are frequent flyer tickets (phl-sju-bon). I hope they don't change their minds and cancel...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration