BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: ORD to BON- leaving in a month- luggage advice?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: ORD to BON- leaving in a month- luggage advice?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jennifer gerbi (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 9:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all!

I just love this group, we have been getting *tons* of information and suggestions for our upcoming honeymoon trip, in a month!!

We are flying on frequent flier miles from ORD to BON via SJU. It took me a *long* time to figure out how we could get the direct ORD to SJU flight in there, but I finally figured it out. I highly suggest using frequent filer miles on AA for this trip- I think it cost me the same number as an inter-USA trip, but the tickets would have been very expensive!

I thought I'd ask about any tricks about luggage. We just purchased our own snorkling gear, which I'm very excited about. It's a pretty big bundle, and I think we have to check it. Anyone have trouble with this, especially on AA? We are going to try to bring as little as possible, and my dream of only having carryon I think is impossible with these Huge Fins. Thanks in advance! -Jenny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi jenny, Snorkeling gear is fine to pack except I would recommend putting it in a suitcase, and if you pack your mask, make sure it is in a case to protect it from cracking. I usually carry on my mask and pack my fins and snorkel. pauline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #135) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jennifer -

Congratulations! What a way to start a marriage, Bonaire!

If you've not been through AA's Caribbean hub in San Juan before, be advised it can be a bit hectic. They have planes going all over the Caribbean out of maybe 3-4 adjacent gates. You actually get on a small bus to be taken from the gate to your plane. When you get on the bus, it doesn't hurt to double-check that it is the "Bonaire bus." We've seen several occasions of people on the wrong bus.

Just pay attention and ask a lot of questions if necessary. Folks that get confused are the ones that never anticipate that things will be a bit "active."

We actually like it because for the first time on your trip you feel as if you are getting into the real Caribbean.

A note about carry-on luggage. The overhead area on the AA plane from SJU-BON is smaller than on jets. Check with AA to determine the dimensions of carry-ons that will fit.

If your carry-on does not fit in the overhead, they will take it just as you board and hand load it into the nose of the plane. You claim it as you get off the plane in Bonaire right there on the tarmac (this isn't O'Hare!) before you go into Customs y Immigration. Actually, a pretty convenient arrangement.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration