BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: AA 6AM departure, any problems?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: AA 6AM departure, any problems?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erika Stockwell (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, I just discovered this wonderful site as we plan our second trip to beautiful Bonaire. We are staying at Buddy's again(loved it last time, 3 long years ago) and I'm wondering about the logistics of that awful AA 6 AM departure. Checking out of Buddy's, getting to airport, returning truck, breakfast, etc...

Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela Strozier (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were there last year and here is our story on 6:00 a.m. We decided to take auto back night before as you have to be at airport by 4:00 a.m. or Plaza took us at that time....AA went through every bag of every person in line....Seems like a hassel but we just went with it and had no problems....Then of course you have the down time...So I guess you could check your car in then but just to rush rush for us that early...We will be there in 2 weeks for 12 days and will opt to check in auto the night before and take hotel transportation to airport next a.m. Anyway hope that helps some...

Have a WONDERFUL trip.

Ang

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C Poteet (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 1:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Erika -

We've caught the early AA departure twice in the last two years and I agree with Angela's advice.

Why pay for the extra overnight on the car when you can't use it in the morning other than to go to the airport? Turn it in the night before and arrange with Buddy's to get you a ride to the airport.

One other note about that early AA flight. When in March we tried to reconfirm our flight the day before, the local AA people would not confirm us, but rather told us, repeatedly like a recording without really thinking about our need, that the flight was overbooked.

So, we arrived about 4:45 AM and, yes, the flight was overbooked, but with that arrival time we had no problem. And they do go through all luggage by hand. It's not a big deal as long as you know about it and allow time.

About the only problem we've had anywhere along the DFW-SJU-BON route was the local Bonaire staff who simply seemed totally overwhelmed by the fact the flight was overbooked. They could not grasp the difference between the flight being overbooked and acknowledging a reservation.

Hope this helps things go smoothly. Bet you have a fantastic trip and memorable vacation in Bonaire. Do give us a trip report when you're back home.

Charles Poteet
Dallas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8345) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Erika,

Just came back on that flight in July, and as Angela mentioned, they opened up EVERY bag and went through it (wish I would have folded my dirty clothes, kind of embarrassing!) I had my toiletries in clear plastic bags, but they opened them and inspected them very closely. The guy spent about 5 minutes reading the ingredients on my mouse can. Guess there is something that they put in mouse that is "dangerous." Mine got through OK though. Kelly got her fingernail clippers *clipped* going through the carry-on screener. Good thing is that for the hour or so wait you have after check in, the new facility is air conditioned, has a great food bar and gift shop. It was WONDERFUL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 2:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As to the vehicle, ABCarental is open at 5AM...this gives you time to drop your bags off at the desk (with somebody to watch them), then drop the vehicle off and leaves plenty of time to go to the little diner and grab something for breakfast. This is a GOOD idea because there is NO food on the flight to San Juan.

This works especially good as we have use of the truck the night before leaving and no need to bother anyone or rely on a bus/car in the AM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1459) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 3:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't laugh Cynde...
They confiscated my mousse. Because it was flammable. They said it wasn't allowed. They handed me a brochure to explain it which states personal amounts are allowed but they refused to acknowledge it. This might include items like bug spray, hair spray, shaving cream, etc. So know I leave it at home and buy new stuff every time I travel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela Strozier (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now that I think about it they took several items from people....ie bug spray, in the pump bottle, polish remover, hair spray, etc....I take travel size as to not have to give huge amount away if they choose to like, I mean keep my brand....I just had to wonder what they do with all the stuff they keep??? I hope it goes to someone who needs it....

Angela

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8348) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, I remember you telling me that now...oh, and thanks for spelling mousse correctly, spellcheck didn't get mine and I thought it looked funny! The worst part about departing that morning with you and Kelly, was when he opened my bag and I had just *thrown* all my stuff in my suitcase and it looked a mess! I remember looking at the guys case behind me and he had everything neatly folded and in order...i'm just glad they didn't decide to open my large plastic garbage bag with my stinky gear! Would have probably cleared the airport!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1476) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 7:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have used CK's system in the past. By being near first in line to check in, I can go back to the hotel and shower and change after pushing the heavy bags around (it has been allowed-- after all, I paid for the whole night until check out time). That makes for a much more comfortable trip. The car gets checked in the second time around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #208) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 8:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We also use Glen's system -- only difference is I set the coffee up at the house before we leave for the airport. Then we do the very early check in, head back to the house where the coffee is waiting, shower and head back to the airport for truck drop off. Last year we were lucky because the other couple with us had one more day so they took us on the second run to the airport then followed the above procedure on their departure day.

Cynde ... I kind of liked the image of a mouse can ... all those little critters in a can in your luggage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2531) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was thinking of Kelly's RAT, actually! LOL. Thought maybe Cynde Lee took the fella home in a can and that is what they confiscated. LOL!!! Carole

PS We, too, check in the big bags early and then cruise around the island for our last time and then bring the car back to AB Rental and go into the departure lounge for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2532) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops...but then again, Joe and I are always on the 3:15 p.m AJ flight....sorry about that guys! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erika Stockwell (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 9:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow! You guys are the best, thanks for all the suggestions. I love the idea of going early and checking in for the flight, then back to the hotel to shower and have some coffee and breakfast.

It will all work out OK, and I'll be sure to bring my travel sized mouse so they won't take the poor little thing away from me!

I will write a report when we get home (we aren't even leaving for 6 weeks) Soooo excited.

Erika

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

mouse ... mousse
Gotta tell a quick story.
Found a shopping list at the grocery store once, just a few items, one of which was "mouse wash".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1461) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 2:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about collie flour?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2535) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 1:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, but Linda it's such a messy job trying to get that collie flour out of their fur! LOL. Good ones, guys.

I saw a letter that was obviously dictated into a machine and transcribed by someone who did not "get it" and it was addressed to: De Burro of Florham Park instead of The BOROUGH of Florham Park! Too funny and someone actually signed the darn letter and mailed it out to De Burro!!! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jess (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No No. The address was correct. That's where the Bonaire donkies go to eat BBQ dropped on the floor by sloppy (or sloppely?) eating tourist. Think it's at some national park at the north end of the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grace Schneider (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 6:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole,

I've seen your postings on a couple of bb here,
are you in Bonaire, or going to be around last 2 of Dec. You are a riot--love to meet ya in person--always love to meet up with people who can make ya laugh:-)

Grace

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1122) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 8:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm still trying to figure out how you could write ANYTHING on a mouse's can.
What is so annoying about all this airport "security" is there are no rules, The bag checker is God.
Besides, all the bombs are in the freight compartment, unchecked by anyone.
Sometimes the rental offices are not open on time (say it ain't so!) so I just flip the keys well into the office so a passer-by can't grab them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2942) on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Grace! Boy, do I ever wish I were living on Bonaire....that would be heavenly and is our dream. Nope, stuck in Northern New Jersey, unfortunately....along with about one billion other New Jerseyites and their SUV's!! Way too crowded around here for our liking...that's one of the many reasons we fell in love with Bonaire even before the plane hit the ground...we could see from the air that it was wide open space and natural land and waters.

It would be nice to meet the folks on this board but we are all so spread out all over the world and travel to Bonaire at different time. We do hook up with each other while we are on the island at the same time, however and some folks fly to each other's homes to visit. There have been some lifetime friendships made as a result of this great board.

Joe and I won't be back on Bonaire until next June...have to wait exactly six months...airline tickets and all Divi vouchers, car rental confirmations, etc. are sitting in the dresser drawer just awaiting the day they can come out and play!!

I can't wait to hear about your trip....you are in for the trip of a lifetime....I can just feel it!

Laughter is the key to survival in this crazy world. I have to do it more often...I have found that I have been laughing less as I am getting older...stress and all that bad stuff. I have to take out more time to smell the roses and laugh with good friends. It works wonders! BT helps me a lot....a great place to share fun things and ideas with others who are just as nuts and have a common interest, being Bonaire.

How many hours til you leave now???!!! Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2950) on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 3:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry it sort of went off track there a bit, Moderators! cb

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration