BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: ALM does it again
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: ALM does it again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Wednesday, November 3, 1999 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We booked a flight last spring to return to
Bonaire in Feb. 2000. About a month ago, our travel agent informed us there are no more direct flights to Miami and we would have to go though Curacao meaning a connection change in Miami. Today we were informed of another change that now we will also have to stop in Haiti as well meaning another change in Miami. We have flown ALM for the past 6 years to Boanire and have always had a delay on the return trip. Last year we missed our Miami connection to Boston and had a difficult time getting hoome. ALM is making it so difficult to travel to Boston that if we find an alternative we will gladly never fly them again. We were also informed that there might be another schedule change in Jan. 2000. We love Bonaire and enjoy returning every year. We just wish we could get there from here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Springer on Thursday, November 4, 1999 - 1:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have your TA check flights via Atlanta. ALM has a nonstop flight on Saturdays departing Atlanta at 1pm arriving Bonaire at 605pm. You could use Delta 1069 departing at 915am out of Boston to connect to this flight.
If you took ALM 991 to Atlanta you wouldn't have to change planes in Curacao and would be flying a MD80 jet from Bonaire to Atlanta. Arrive Atlanta at 1145am and take Delta 1996 departing at 140pm back to Boston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Thursday, November 4, 1999 - 7:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We do go down though Atlanta. The problem is getting out of Bonaire. When we booked, the return flight was direct to Miami. It is now two stops and sevral hours longer. I also realize there is a 7:30 flight to Atlanta but that isn't the one we booked. Changes at this date have made it cost wise impossible to change flights. If we didn't love Bonaire so much, we would find a place easier to travel to. Connections also make it impossible to use Air Jamaica. Thanks for your suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley on Thursday, November 4, 1999 - 8:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you checked out Air Jamaica? I know they fly from Baltimore and Philadelphia via Montego Bay to Bonaire on Saturdays. Leaving around 8.30 am and arriving Bonaire at 2.35pm. I had some guests who did it and where very happy with that connection and with the service

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The problem with Air Jamaica is that if you aren't coming from one of their gateways, i.e. Baltimore, Phila, Chicago, NYC etc., you can't get there in time to make the connection, and have to fly to the gateway city the night before and stay overnight. This works in both directions, so it's a REAL pain. We tried to use them from Rochester, NY, and just couldn't get it to work.

However, we did find a Delta flight to/from Atlanta that connects with the Saturday and Sunday ALM direct flights. It wasn't easy dealing with ALM, because they kept changing what they told us, the flight was available, then it wasn't, the rate was $650, then it was $750, etc.
However, we finally got it resolved directly, my travel agent couldn't get anywhere with them, and we're all set now. Looking forward to a blessed four weeks there in Feb --- and hoping ALM doesn't change the schedule

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george lam on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 2:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How bad is ALM? We are going to Bonaire for the 1st time in late Jan & the flight is out of Miami to Bonaire w/ a connection in Curacao.

Anyone have a positive experience w/ ALM? Happy holidays to all. George, Virginia, USA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Catlett on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have, only flown it once and liked it better than flying United. The attendants were friendly, no lost luggage and was on time. We had one little mix up when we confirmed out flight and showed up the next day and they switched us to the early flight. Easy fix, they put us back on the noon flight and away we went. Hope you enjoy, we are leaving in 5 days. Get to meet Jake and Michael in person finally. See you then guys!

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peggy Bowen on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ALM sometimes can be the most wonderful way to get to Bonaire. And sometimes you wonder if the people you talk to understand anything. Guess that is the fustration - so helpful one day, so indifferent the next. And if they don't have a plane, they don't fly - but that means sometimes they have to work on it. A safety issue. Keep your fingers crossed and hope you get the understanding day people. Then you will have a great trip down. -- Oh yes, confirm your flight soon after you get there and again the day before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - Bonaire E-News on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 11:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Charles,

Safe travels. Drop me an e-mail as well - it turns out I have to head to DC on business on Jan. 3, but have an idea about when we can hook up :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 10:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

>>Oh yes, confirm your flight soon after you get there and again the day before. <<
I second Peggy's statement.
Also, although most people don't know, you can go to the airport the evening before your flight (after 9:00pm) and get boarding passes for the next day. That way if there is a shortage of seats, you are already checked in and have a seat assignment. I also pay the departure tax and get the receipt to turn in the next day.

Clay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Eberhard on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 8:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just returned via ALM and had perfect connections, service and baggage handling this year. I do agree to confirm promptly. We did the day before and found our flight changed from 9AM to 12:30 PM - it wasn't a problem as it gave us some spare time. We arrived in Curcaoa and literally walked in one door and out another to board for Miami. Quite frankly, we were impressed with the noticable improvements made by ALM from our trip last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joann Vick on Monday, December 27, 1999 - 11:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yet another ALM story... On our return flight on Dec. 18th, we knew we had a stop-over in Curacao. But after all the passengers destined for Curacao got off there, the rest of us bound for Atlanta were asked to disembark and bring our carry-on luggage. They told there was another flight leaving for Atlanta soon and we would be taking that one. "Soon" turned out to be a two-hour wait in a very busy terminal.

During our wait we were told nothing about how long that wait would be nor why the change. Other passengers asked and word got around. I believe that because our flight had so few passengers left bound for Atlanta that ALM decided just to consolidate with the later flight. If they had only kept us posted, it would have saved a lot of frustrated passengers the uncertainty of not knowing what was going on.

But this has happened to us before and we have learned that with ALM nothing is certain. As Peggy said, "Guess that is the fustration - so helpful one day, so indifferent the next."

Luckily, we made our connections in Atlanta -- barely; but most of the other passengers didn't. Only because we've learned to pad our layover time we made it.

All in all, we'll be coming back to Bonaire next year, ALM notwithstanding.

Joann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Margie Condon on Saturday, January 1, 2000 - 12:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had no problem with ALM on the way down to Bonaire (Oct 27). However, our return flight was changed (Dec 01). They no longer went direct from Bonaire to Miami, we had to go to Curacao first. Our travel agent only had us set for a 1 hour layover in Miami. I had this changed because I knew there was no way we could clear customs, and check in with Continental all in 1 hour (unfortunately I now had a 5 hour layover). Well, ALM was late leaving Bonaire, and late leaving Curacao, so luckily for me by the time I got to Miami I only had a 2 hour layover. Many people missed their connections in Miami due to the delays. Even though there were many delays, and our day was extremely long, at least they didn't lose any of our luggage. I chose ALM this past trip because I wasn't happy with Air Aruba on previous trips. Now I don't know what I'll do for my next trip (hopefully in August).
Margie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, January 1, 2000 - 12:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

chec out Air Jamiaica

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, January 1, 2000 - 12:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

check out Air Jamiaica

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've flown ALM out of Atlanta to Bonaire several times, never had a problem. I think it's the luck of the draw. They said Air Aruba, out of Newark, was bad too, but ,other then a passport problem (not having one),they were fine. I think it's the luck of the draw sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've flown ALM out of Atlanta to Bonaire several
times, never had a problem. They said Air Aruba,
out of Newark, was bad too, but ,other then a
passport problem (not having one),they were fine.
I think it's the luck of the draw sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stewart Kaslow on Sunday, January 9, 2000 - 12:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The most taxing adventure is getting to Bonaire, with all your stuff in a reasonable timeframe. After many AlwaysLateorMissing baggage flights, we decided to take Air Jamaica. Give the new guy a try. They didn't lose one bag, they lost all our bags. They didn't just delay it one day, We had to wait 5 days to get them. The most fustrating thing is there complete lack of responsiveness to our inquiries, telex, faxes, and letters. So for me, it is back to ALM or Air Aruba.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Catlett on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 12:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back from Bonaire and had a wonderful flight on ALM. No problems, no lost luggage, prompt & friendly. I will be posting a trip report very soon.

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl A. Roberts on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 4:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another option to get to Bonaire.....If you can get to San Juan, ALM has Dash 8 (twin turbo props) service to Curacao/Bonaire. My husband and I flew Delta to San Juan, spent the night, then flew out the next morning early to Bonaire for a whopping $170 each round trip. It's about a 2 hour flight, comfortable (a little noisy if you sit over the wing...the whinning of the props getting to altitude is annoying!) but in all a good way to get to Bonaire. The worst part of the trip is the airport in San Juan....it is the dirtiest airport I have ever been in and that includes many in Mexico!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 7:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Delta now flies to Aruba, then it is a real short hop to Bonaire....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlotte & Henri de Leeuw on Monday, January 31, 2000 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We like to get married at Bonaire, is this a real opportunity or is it too difficult to get there from Holland and back.
What are the possibilities to arrange this, please give us some advise.
regards Charlotte & Henri

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration