BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: New American Eagle service to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: New American Eagle service to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Fox on Sunday, April 8, 2001 - 8:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I have secured a flight to Bonaire that does not include ALM or Air Jamaica. I am flying from San Francisco thru Dallas thru San Juan and on to Bonaire. This flight is on American and their new service from San Juan to Bonaire on American Eagle. I don't know if this is good or bad, We'll see. What I do know is I got a great price, $663.00 round trip from California.

I hope that this will be a better flight experience than those that I have read about here. I'll let you all know. Oh, the American Eagle flights start on June 1rst.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Sunday, April 8, 2001 - 10:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, goodie, someone else gets to experiment for a change. Luck to ya, David. Am.Eagle is starting 3 a day Toronto to Boston about same date. Another possible egress for Josie? me? et al? Possible better prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Fox on Sunday, April 8, 2001 - 10:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kerri, Ive flown American Eagle all over the US into small cities that American does not service like Charleston. They have proven to be reliable, at least here at home. With all of the horror stories about ALM here I wasn't willing to take the chance. This may prove to be no better, but at least I have a track record with them and at the very least I will get my frequent flier miles no matter how long it takes me to get there!

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 3:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks David. Only know 'em from mentions on the boards, and we can be quite testy about airlines. You may need a re-cert with a flight that long (lol) Wish you good trip. Josie, here's one for you. Virgin starts Toronto/London flights about same date. Haven't seen fare schedules yet,but nifty commercials. Maybe some good deals since they're trying to shake up Air Canada who certainly deserves it. Kate Tymstra is right about their bad attitude and worse booking arrangements. Can.3000 has merged yet again. Hoping one of them keeps Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Densmore on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 11:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

David how many times will you switch planes? We will try that next time we go. We did American to Curacao and ALM to bonaire but it took two days and four different airplanes from Portland Oregon. Have fun! We didn't meet anyone else from the west coast while we were there. It is definetly worth the time it takes to get there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 6:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am curious about the American Eagle flight too. when we booked this yr it was just a "rumor" on the site(quote my travel agent)wondering how those flights might work from NY. Please keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosemary Beck on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 8:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I investigated the American Eagle flights---starting in Tucson. Many logistics didn't work for us, but one thing caught my attention. The American Eagle flight was leaving Bonaire at something like 6:30 in the morning. Since we aren't supposed to dive within 24 hours of a scheduled flight, that means the entire last day on Bonaire can't be a diving day. With the other airlines, the flights seem to leave late in the afternoon so that a morning dive the day before is possible. Since everyone seems to try to get in as many dives as possible, that could be a deciding factor. Just my 2 cents......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Fox on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

To all, I will be flying SFO to Miami (plane 1) Miami to San Juan (plane 2)and San Juan to Bonaire (plane 3). So three planes, two changes. It is only one more change than my usual flights say to Maine or Mexico. And yes Rosemary, the plane does leave at 6:30am from Bonaire. This was prefered by me since it gets me home the same day and fairly early in the day on Saturday so that I have Sunday to get some rest before work on Monday. As far as the no diving on Friday, that is the day that I will do my sight seeing of all the wonderful places on Bonaire. Have a great dinner and a good nights rest for the flight back home.

Maybe I'll throw in a extra dive on Tuesday or Wednesday to cover the ones I will "miss". Anyway, I think that I would do just about anything not to have take a chance on ALM or AJ. The kinds of delays I have read about here can REALLY shorten your diving! LOL

Anyway, I will report back on the new kid in town to let y'all know if it was worth it.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Monday, April 9, 2001 - 11:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You're a good sport,David. Hope it's everything you planned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Tuesday, April 10, 2001 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A friend of mine said that Delta just started flying into Aruba recently from JFK, what about a a hook up to Bonaire, not for this time but I'm wondering if that would work, anyone know anything? Waiting to hear of your report too, David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 1:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire Reporter today relates that AE has agreements
in place to fly between Bonaire and Aruba beginning 2
June, with daily flights and fares that 'will not undercut
ALM'. The flight times were not mentioned but I suspect
they will connect with AA's stateside flights like the one
from JFK. 'The world's largest airline' all the way with
larger airplanes. Sounds like the 'real airline service' the
island has been looking for. Now, if they will just do a
good job so we don't have reason to rank them down
with ALM and AJ. AA's fares tend to be higher-maybe
worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The June start for the Aruba/Bonaire flights is not yet confirmed. I've also heard that one plan may be to have the flights overnight on Bonaire (much like the currently schedule San Juan flight will), meaning a late evening arrival from Aruba, and an early morning departure back to Aruba. However, even that is not definite.

In any event, the more options the better :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Thom Thomas on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David:
Also leaving for Bonaire on Sat. Jun 2, From LAX United to Maimi, ALM from Miami to Curacao, to Bonaire for an 11:00 pm arrival. Must be at Los Angeles LAX for 8:00 AM Departure. Maybe we should have a race?? Have been confering with all airplane Gods and have reassurances that on that date ALM schedule will be perfect. How is that for confidence?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The inaugural American Eagle flight San Juan-Bonaire was totally unremarkable--just what the traveller wants. My flight to SJ was on time. The departure from SJ on time as was the arrival in Bonaire. Plane full of paying passengers-1st AE inaugural flight to be so. Bonaire travel notables aboard so I am sure AE took some extra care but it looks as though Bonaire has another professional airline connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 9:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good man,Glen! Thanks. You've earned your R and R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 9:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, Have a great time and give G a hug and kiss from me. Later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What was not routine on Saturday were the thousand plus people at the Flamingo International Airport on Saturday to greet the arrival of the first scheduled American Eagle flight. Linda and I got there about 30 minutes after the flight landed and it was still one big party, with speeches being made, drinks being given out, etc. Apparently there were fireworks too (I heard them but didn't see them). Definitely a nice way to great American Eagle to Bonaire!

Jake

PS The other unusual thing about this inaugural flight was that it arrived 15 minutes ahead of schedule! Air Jamaica was about an hour late for its inaugural flight a couple of years ago...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration