BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Air Jamaica Nightmare
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: Air Jamaica Nightmare
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Kahl on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would have expected some of the other travelers who were similarly stranded to have beaten me to the punch on this board, but since no one else has started a similar thread of late, here goes...
My family and I just returned from our first trip to Bonaire and we absolutely loved the place- wanted to make it a regular destination, maybe even buy a timeshare or condo to support the burgeoning diving habit. Then we tried to go home.
I will be the first to admit that I detest most things bureaucratic such as standing in lines and filling out forms. I will further grant that all air travel is rife with both of these. In spite of these shortcomings, I am generally thought to be a patient and pleasant person, beloved by children and small furry animals. I was able to maintain my composure throughout the two hours I spent shuffling along in line at the Bonaire Airport to check my bags and get my official Air Jamaica boarding passes. Even though I was told the flight was oversold, I was sure my long-standing reservations, which had been paid for for over a month, were going to assure me a seat back to my beloved home airport, BWI. I became somewhat less sanguine when we were all herded into a sweltering glassed-in waiting area/sauna, no doubt to keep the more vocal of my fellow passengers from bitching to the smiling new arrivals who came skipping in off the tarmac. Eventually, about 90 minutes late, we were able to board the venerable MD-83 and strap in for the first leg of our journey.
I could already taste it as I ordered my first Red Stripe to wash away the sadness of leaving Bonaire. Unfortunately, the crack ground crew at Air Jamaica had only managed to load eight (count 'em- eight!) bottles of the stuff on the plane. Well OK then I'll just have a Diet Coke. Surely there'll be some on the next leg of the flight. I hope they don't have too many passengers waiting for us to get to our connecting flight; sure would be a shame to keep them waiting...
As we began our descent, the mellifluous tones of our pursercmae over the PA system to advise us that those of us headed somewhere other than Atlanta would find no connecting flight awaiting us. Not to worry though, we should just proceed to the Air Jamaica Customer Service desk to make arrangements for another flight. And so the situation went from tolerable to tenuous at best.

Tune in tomorrow for the final chapter...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris, you absolutely have me riveted! I suspect I'm not going to be enamoured of your airline..but so far, I like your style, and the dialogue fairly crackles to a punchline. I think I may collect these stories as Folktales from the Edge.Apparently sane people on the brink! Think of them sort of like fish tales of the one that got away.They get b-i-g-g-e-r and l-o-n-n-n-g-g-er as time goes by.So far, though, happy endings. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 2:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris....So you're on an old Macdonald/Douglas with a Red Stripe on your mind and.......?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Kahl on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 11:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

To my only fan, Kerri:

Sorry to delay the next installment in my serial. I have been slightly overwhelmed with work, but I am writing it in my head so it should spew forth any time now. I do appreciate your interest and encouragement, however, and I will be diligent about completing the story this week. (Somehow the delay seems both ironic and appropriate, don't you think?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris, for every overt fan there's 10 lurkers. Looking forward to the rest of the story. If we have to wait to long you'll have to give out comp tickets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 12:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cec is right. And drinks,too. Jut that when us kids come out to play an occasional victim er...newcomer is whelmed,over or under, by us. You,however have the right 'tude. We'll turn on 'island mode' and idle our engines........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James K. Andrews on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 1:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris, times up. Lets hear it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Margy Kahl on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have to agree. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds. Especially since I was with him. It makes the whole ordeal seem much more humorous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 3:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Margy - with bated breath (or is that baited) we await - but your posting brought a "LOL" from me -glad everyone else is out at lunch as I read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, they were in the Twilight Zone. Maybe still
delayed there?? :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Kahl on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 3:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK so where was I...

Ah yes...standing in the aisle of our aging MD-83 amid the rancid stench of fear and loathing. Each passenger began eyeing the others nervously, assessing who might be easily passed by on the mad dash to the Customer Service desk where the earliest birds would clearly capture the best seats on the next available flight. Formerly serene travelers who had spent the last week internalizing the "Relax, you're on vacation!" mantra of the Bonaire natives, reverted in an instant to their former East Coast "every-man-for-himself/survival-of-the-fittest" mentality. The more seasoned air travelers practiced some of their best elbowing into the aisle maneuvers and sped up the jet way and out into the terminal in a world class speed walking demonstration. The more clueless of us wandered, forlorn and lost, looking in vain for signs or kindly natives to direct us to our salvation.

After executing a textbook perfect cross-body check and bowling over two elderly ladies and a small child, I quickly honed in on the aforementioned Customer Service desk and found my rightful place near the front of the line. I was generally pleased with myself until I saw that the gentleman (and I use that word loosely) two ahead of me in line already had his OAG book out and was desperately trying to engage the desk agent in a discussion of his personal expectations regarding the correct level of customer service relevant to air travel. This might have been fine were it not for the fact that the discussion took place over and around the couple in front of him. This soon led to a loud and very nearly violent exchange after which Mr. OAG (as I have come to think of him) quietly retreated to devise his next sortie.

Another woman in line very helpfully offered the explanation that we were all very angry about our collective situation which elicited a response of such staggering indifference from the Air Jamaica staff as to boggle the mind. Mr. OAG loudly seconded her opinion only to receive yet another withering glance from the assembled Air Jamaicans, not to mention more than a few of his fellow passengers.

Once his rightful turn finally arrived, Mr. OAG proceeded to spend the next NINETY MINUTES!!!!!! (No, I am NOT exaggerating!) quizzing the agent on every possible permutation of flights, connections and logistical puzzles that he and his little book could conceive. Fortunately, one of his newly found vacation buddies, obviously also a seasoned business traveler in his own right, was able to step up and fill in for him whenever he ran out of breath. After about 15 minutes of this tag-team effort, the agent's eyes glazed over, she became utterly mute and the general pace of things approached glacial speed for the next hour and a quarter. I almost felt sorry for her, but the obvious hostility, incompetence and inefficiency she displayed prevented me from coming to her defense.

Over two hours after first queuing up at the Air Jamaica Customer Disservice desk, I was finally at the front of the line. One of the agents had already walked off in disgust, unable to deal with these demanding air travelers, but the rest were staring sullenly at their monitors and tapping the occasional key, unable or unwilling to make eye contact. It was then [cue the music!] that the Supervisor showed up; she of the peacock blue jacket. (I knew her name once, but I can’t seem to recall it now.) She informed us that in all likelihood there would be no flights for us that night or the next day! I was dumbfounded. It turns out the next day’s flights were also criminally over-booked. “In fact,” she confided to me, “they [the poor slobs who had already left after being told to try again tomorrow] had no better than a 50-50 chance of actually getting a seat.”

I was unsure what I had done to inspire such candor but I went with it and asked when we might realistically expect to be reunited with our beloved motherland (not in those exact words, but you get the idea…) She smiled, displaying her lovely braces, and said sweetly “How’s Monday night grab you?” (or words to that effect) At this point I was so tired and emotionally drained that I had lost the will to fight. I merely clarified that Air Jamaica would be picking up the charges for myself and my entourage for both days; meals, lodging, ground transportation, airport tax, etc. I was just punchy enough to start joking around with her, which she actually seemed to appreciate.
And so we left the airport in our own little bus headed for two glorious days at the luxurious Montego Bay Holiday Inn All Inclusive Seaside Resort. It was sheer hell…

Now I really have to get back to work! Maybe I’ll get around to my otherwise positive trip report about Bonaire soon, too.

The bottom line is this:

My family and I loved Bonaire. We would really like to return someday. In fact, we were planning a return trip for November before we left. In spite of my meager attempts at humor on this board, I am quite serious when I say I will not ever fly anywhere on Air Jamaica again, nor will I fly through Jamaica again. This was my second exposure to the particular brand of disdain and contempt that seems to reside in Jamaica. I am sure it is not a fair representation of the entire country and I did meet three (yes only, exactly three) genuinely nice and pleasant Jamaicans there, including the Air Jamaica supervisor. But I have no desire to spend a considerable sum of my wages to be treated as I was on my trip home from Bonaire. Inasmuch as I have read that ALM is at least as bad, if not worse, I will anxiously await the reports on American Eagle’s service to Bonaire through Puerto Rico. I sincerely hope that they can provide good service on a consistent basis. If they can, my family and I will be very happy to return to your beautiful island. I hope you will be happy to have us. If this air travel issue can be corrected, I think Bonaire’s economy will be positively impacted. Of course, I suppose it is possible that the locals don’t really want it to be TOO easy to travel to and from Bonaire…hmmm, now there’s a little food for thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Kahl on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 4:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh and by the way, I still have a couple complimentary drink tickets from Air Jamaica that I probably won't be using. I'd gladly let them go in exchange for an ice cold Amstel Bright next time I'm in Kralendijk!:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Margy Kahl on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, as my husband has so eloquently expressed our experience in Montego Bay was less than enjoyable. We had visited Jamaica for a day last summer only to swear never to return. To our dismay we found ourselves again at the mercy of these natives. Chris failed to say, that he and another member of our bunch, swear that this entire ordeal was orchestrated by Jamaica to keep us in there country to spend money & be treated as dogs. We were extremely relieved when we got back & found that American Eagle will begin to fly to Bonaire. I'd hate to miss going to that wonderful island just because of the airline. I agree that he did make this event sound entirely comical it didn't feel that way at the time. With a party of 9 including 2 small children & a grandmother it was very tense at best. I look forward to going back in the fall as long as it's any other airline & through any other country.

Being a man, the thing he failed to mention is that in Bonaire on leaving we found out that that flight was terribly overbooked & some may not make it. I begged & pleaded to stay until the next flight out on Wednesday. Much prefered to be in Bonaire than stuck in Jamaica. Of course the airline had advised that flights would be held & so I was overruled. If only they had listened to me ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, what a nightmare. One thing I've heard but not tried is to call the airline to get a flight instead of waiting in line. Anybody tried this trick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That sometime sworks in the U.S. where you can call the toll free number of the air line in question (or your travel agent), and works better when you have some sort of premiere status with the airline in question (generally gets you to an agent more quickly).

At MoBay, the only dial phones I recall were these outrageously expensive "International Payphones". Something like a minimum charge of $15 for up to 3 minutes or so.

At Bonaire's airport, the ticket agent doesn't make flight changes - the at-airport travel agency does.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nancy edison on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 5:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Methinks I detect several closet (or not so closeted) writers on this board....

Chris, unless you are already employed to entertain the multitudes of us who read travel magazines and the like, I think you might consider a second career in which your mind is translated to print. I was happily swept into your saga, although not happy for those of you who had to slog through such disdain and pain.

I look forward to a return to Bonaire, myself, but since our first trip went so relatively without wrinkles, I wonder what airline delight we might have in store for us in the future.... however, the stomach-churning turbulence on AA into Denver may have been our comeuppance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Kahl on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 5:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Regarding the phone charges, I neglected to mention that we got nailed for a $28.00 telephone call to the US once at the mercy of our Jamaican hosts. It is emblematic of the kind of institutional thievery that I have encountered in Jamaica before. I'm not sure why the country continues to spend so heavily on tourism ads when it seems they have such obvious contempt for the people who come to their country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Margy. Of course he doesn't listen. It's positively genetic. I say this coming from a tribe that celebrates, yea, verily, commemorates, a man who spent 40 years wandering through the desert. You think you had a group? He had 12 tribes!!. If they'd listened to the women, phht..outta that sand pit in a New York minnit! And I'm not sure Moses had Chris's sense of humour. I can't remember a single 'Thou shalt not' that was fun! :-( Nancy's right. Chris writes like a pro.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 8:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, and that's comin' from a pro, too, Chris. BTW, Kerri, have you ever heard of the WEIR or WIER program out of Toronto, i.e., writers helping students become better writers? There was a brief bleep about it in today's Casper paper...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Deurer on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire was nice, but it wasn't worth the hell
that Air Jamaica put us and our fellow travelers
through. It didn't strike me that it was the least
bit unusual for Air Jamaica, it was all in a days
work. Overbooked flights, stranded passengers.
"Give them an Air Jamaica survival kit." A three
minute phone card and drink coupons, and of course
the money off your next flight on Air Jamaica...
as if. All expenses paid for two days in Montego
Bay. After two days home I have finally recovered
from the heartburn that the wonderful, free, food
caused. Where was my voucher to pay for the tips
for every Jamaican that picked up my luggage and
carried it, sometimes no more then 100 feet? A tip
for every cab driver, waiter and bartender. The
total was at least $100. Where is my voucher for
my lost wages? No, I will never again fly Air
Jamaica to Bonaire. There are lots of islands in
the Caribbean. The ones I've seen are prettier,
friendlier, and thankfully eaiser to get to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Virginia L. Stokes on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 9:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gee, and I was thinking we would try Air Jamaica on our next trip to Bonaire!! Our recent trip via AA and ALM was idyllic compared to Chris et al's nightmare.

We've always joked that it would be much better to be stranded on island...sounds like Margy had the right idea!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 10:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yup, coulda sworn he was talkin' about the palms on that tropical isle called New Yawk. Thought Josie had a good idea. Don't pay the money for departure tax, and the island folk might keep you. Hazel: WEIR or other raises only a faint tinkle, and I may be wrong. Was the group largely for immigrant writers? To find their way around the language and the publishers? That's the last one I remember, a few months ago. Oh, wait...to interest the kids in English studies in school?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 10:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginny,

I flew nearly a dozen roundtrips on AJ last year and only once had a long enough delay to miss my connection (along with 70 others from Baltimore, including Linda and the kids). And even that was handled pretty well with an overnight at the Halfmoon Resort in our own villa (and the other 66 people were treated similarly). As we were en route to Bonaire, there were some unhappy campers who were missing a day of their vacation on Bonaire (we arrived home 24 hours later than schedule). We contrasted this to several 9+ hour delays courtesy of ALM over recent years where, if we could even find an ALM rep to help us, would put us up at the Miami Airport HoJo for the night.

What Chris & co. went through never happened to me with AJ in all my trips, though. In any event, when dealing with customer service people I've always found that getting to the head of the line is key, and honey works better than vinegar, since the folks on the other side of the counter are employees, not managers, and yelling at them and getting angry at them will only make things worse. Put an officer (VP, President, etc.) behind the counter, and I'd probably change my tune :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 7:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The"luck of the draw" like I say, traveling Alm in June with my fingers crossed, we seem to make out ok with them. Chris ,I loved your writting style, kept me on the edge of my seat :),such a collective group of artists here!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 11:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is for Ginny as a response to Jakes message.
I have posted several messages based on our experiences as a dive store (and my personal trips four times or more a year to the island) on the available airlines. Both airlines (AJ and ALM) have problems... from a shop level we have observed that Air Jamicia's track record is going down, probably from growth pains. A year ago they were the hot shot new arrivals on scene. Now late flights are becoming the norm with some overnight delays now occuring on broken connections. The distinct advantage is that I would have a distinct preference being stranded in Montego bay over MIA. ALM, well is ALM, they are small and if they have a plane down, the experiences begin. If anything I have noticed an improvement in ALM flight service and timeliness when they fly, when they don't I have noticed a much quicker response to the need for vouchers and help in rescehduling connections.. Remember the only actual ALM ground staff employees are in CUR all the rest are contract services.
My recoomendations remains on the aspects of scheduling and my own personal bias against MIA. You will find more people speaking good english in Ricon then you will in the airport staff of MIA. If you schedule and location allows you to avoid MIA, then AJ makes some sense... if not, ALM is still ALM..
I DO STRONGLY advise againt planning tight connections or making extensive plans for you arrival in BON or back in the states. Plan to start your vacation early, bring a good book or two, dress casually and start relaxing early...raising your blood pressure doesn't help (although I wish i could remember that in dealing with the contracted gound staff (not ALM) in MIA)..

I still fly, although not as much as use to, in the US. Believe me what I read here and have experienced in terms of flying to Bonaire doesn't even rank as problems considered what the domestic airlines like AA and Delta have done to me and my fellow workers...cancelled flights lost reservations, broken connections..destroyed luggage...

jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 12:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris and Margy, deeply troubling but all too familiar airline saga. Thanks for the dose. Superb writing. I re-read it today just to drop the pit of my stomach, again. Masochist? No, just the holder of a reservation on AJ and a dream of 3 glorious weeks, unspoiled. Oh, yes, please, please... Let us be lucky...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Nineties weren't such a bad decade after, were
they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Kahl on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

First of all, I’d like to thank all the regular contributors to this board for their unselfish sharing and help. I was spending far too much time reading the board prior to my trip to Bonaire, eagerly absorbing all I could to make the best use of my short time on the island. This board is a real treasure and I will likely be a regular reader, if not contributor. Thanks for making me feel so welcome!

I’d also like to thank those of you who made such kind and encouraging comments on my little essay(s). Nancy Edison is quite correct in pegging me as a wanna-be writer. Maybe I will write that novel after all…. And I, for one, would love to read Kerri Freeman’s Folktales From the Edge when it comes out, even if my story isn’t included (it did have a rather weak ending, after all!) And heaven knows I have read and learned from virtually every post from the Richters; I appreciate your tolerance for my whining about air travel to your home turf. And I would have to concur about the superiority of honey to vinegar in dealing with customer service people in general.

For Virginia Stokes and Niki Harris: Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus (sorry, couldn’t resist!J) In all seriousness, I wish you both the best of luck in your future dealings with AJ. I suspect, as Jason wrote, the problems may indeed be growing pains, but they may also prove difficult to remedy. Hopefully, the additional competition offered by American Eagle will keep everyone trying a bit harder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 4:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Chris :-)

Your "whining" about air travel is actually important and useful (nevermind very entertaining!) to everyone reading BonaireTalk.

Why? Because it helps remind people that when traveling to and from (and maybe on) a bit of paradise (Bonaire), they may not always encounter an idyllic situation along the way, and one should therefore always be prepared for the unexpected.

What happened to you and the others we've heard from with this particular Air Jamaica trip is pretty miserable, and not something anyone should have to go through (especially when traveling with two small children, as I am all too aware!). If you and others don't bring this up, then Air Jamaica won't know that they need fix things because maybe their staff won't tell them that something was broken. (Incidentally, I forwarded a pointer to this discussion to their Customer Service people - can't learn a lesson if no one tells you about it.)

There's also a difference between your situation and someone griping about a perceived mistreatment, and that is that numerous others shared your adventure and came away with similar interpretations (and vented the resulting frustration).

I hope I'm making sense here - my head's a bit clogged up from a cold :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris. No 'wannabe' about it. You're a writer! Maybe as yet unpaid or unpublished, but hey, you're in good company. Just before Scott Turow became a gazillionaire author, he was a gazillionaire lawyer. It isn't easy breaking-in, but you've got the key, talent. Don't have any inside edge but watch mag, newspapers for writing and essay contests.Maybe do a small scene/story on a vidcam. Shmooze with local writers or head for Sundance festival if you can. You never know what you'll pick up.Maybe work at an ad agency or PBS affiliate if you don't already. The important thing is keep writing. I have worked with lots of junior ad writers who kept going with a lot less than you have shown. If you've heard all of the above before it's because they work. Got something more inventive? Try it. I once got someone to comment that his lawyers didn't let him read stuff, but if he had read my stuff he would do so and so.Here's one easier target, (no laughing) . Romance pocket book types.Quick, formulaic, pays. Not Shakespeare, but not heavy lifting. Detective stuff is very popular with educated ladies,and others. Not sure of the connection. Don't have a scuba hero detective yet as far as I know. You wannit it's yours. If I can help, drop an e-mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, a cold? in Bonaire? What will I have left to believe in? Gezhundeit, Diver Boy. Get better soon. Your brain looks like it's working fine to me. But, how would I know about such a thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 5:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The a/c does it every time!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 4:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've got preflight jitters and totally can't sleep. After reading Chris's nightmare with Air Jamaica, I may never sleep again...I'll be flying to Bonaire 4/28 in the early AM with AJ from JFK to Montego Bay then(ALM)to Bonaire. I've already experienced some problems with their customer service dept the other day, when I called to confirm carry-on regulations...(When we purchased the tickets by phone, I asked about carry-ons and the rep told me that we were allowed (2) per person...I was delighted!! We hate checking our luggage) Anyway, she continued to ask if I was in first or economy and I said what difference does it make, I was purchasing tickets from the person, they knew which class I was booking. I was still misinformed and her reply was "well, we can't allow everybody in economy to bring 2 bags on board we wouldn't have enough overhead room then she accused me of misunderstanding what the initial rep told me...I was not about to argue with her, but I was furious and demanded to speak to a supervisor, after being on hold for 15-20 minutes, I was not about to hang up, I was on a mission to set the story straight...when the supervisor finally came on...I told her the whole story and I assured her that I know the difference between a carry-on and a checked bag and didn't think that some of their reps did nor convey themselves properly. She quoted FAA regulations and said each person is allowed 1 carry-on item and 2 checked bags. So I said "1 item?" why did the rep tell me otherwise if this is regulation, shouldn't they know this when asked...no reply. What if a person had a regulation sized carry-on and a mid-sized purse - Her reply was "that would be more than 1" I said to her I'm glad you can add and that she should pass a word to the higher-ups about their training techniques...I got an apology..but it was a non-winning battle. Thanks for reading...I hope I have better luck than Chris on dates of depart and return.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Saltsgaver on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 8:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just flew back Air Jamaica last Sat. no problems, holding connecting flight to BWI for 4 people. No problems with any carry ons, I had 2(back pack and computer case). Would say that Mo Bay airport is a dump, but a bar near the gate where you board for Bonaire. I will say that the crews on Air Jamaica could take some personality lessons from the flight crews of Air ALM, I could really see the difference in how the crews interact with the passengers, Air ALM's crews win hands down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 3:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just a thought on baggage.. I belive the general rules are covered by the Geneva Convention which had something like three total (checked and carry on)Domestcially most airlines allow two of those to be carry ons which has lead to our airline zoo of monster bags..

Virtually every international flights I know of now limit to one with size and in some case weight restrictions (KLM s actually weighing carry on's). I have found personally that with a reasonable size backpack I am able to travel with less hassal in finding space which allows everyone enough space. I can fit a reg, change of clothes, medicine and notebook computer . I know most airlines will allow me a small purse, but remember by configuration fits all under the seat in front or me...

just a though

Oh BTW.. check your ticket.. best of my knowledge ALM doesn't fly to/from Montego Bay..

jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I clearly remember the argument "if she can carry a purse so can I" !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 5:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I AM NOT GIVING UP MY PURSE!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian J. Walsh on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have to echo what Scott said above, I think we shared a flight from Bonaire to Mo Bay on 4/21. They also held the Phila flight for 27 passengers from Bonaire. On AJ I got to Philadelphia at the same time as I got in last year 10 PM. But on ALM I left Bonaire at 0730 vs 4 Pm on Air Jamaica. I also noticed a lot of folks with 2-3 carry on bags on all 4 legs of my flight. My group did feel that service was better on ALM as was the food.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't blame you Jay, they would never think to look in there for the 95's..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chris,...we travel to Bonaire twice a year...either Alm or lately switching to AJ...with ALm we have learned to expect "something" and arrange to have a just in case day later arrival......just in case....we have experienced lost luggage at Christmas time....arriving in Bonaire in Winter Wear! and no gear....and finding no gear for rent on the island cause it was the holidays...! We had to buy new gear...(we now have two sets...one we pack one we take with us in carry on) but it makes for a little more "flavor of the islands" if you expect something to happen....and if it doesnt...you can sit back and watch the stress build quickly at the customer service isle....
(again it is a good recommendation from the Bonarians..to read..."Dont Stop the Carnival" it sums it all up)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 7:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Herman Wouk's book, "Don't Stop the Carnival" is "MUST"/required reading for anyone who travels the smaller islands of the Caribbean. Definitely worth reading! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Kahl on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 10:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

To Carole and Meryl....(wait a minute- wasn't there a Carol Merrill on "Let's Make a Deal"??)
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually read "Don't Stop the Carnival" a couple months ago and loved it!! I think I first heard about it from Mr. Richter and bought it on the strength of his recommendation. It was one of the best books I've read in a long time (although I'm following it up with "Confederacy of Dunces" which has been a great read as well.)

I have become more philosophical about my travails en route home from Bonaire. I realize my righteous indignation was more a function of my inexperience in traveling around the Carribean than anything else.

My kids still want to move to Bonaire; they told me so just last night!! I think I'll wait until they're old enough to read "Don't Stop the Carnival" before we even consider that idea!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Friday, June 22, 2001 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You're kids are OK in my book! I want to move to Bonaire too!! Hopefully your next trip to Bonaire will not be as "eventful" as this past one. Try to remember the "good times" on the island and block out the ordeal on the way back to the Mainland. Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Krause on Friday, June 29, 2001 - 3:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Air Jamaica treated us fairly well when we missed our connection in Montego Bay to Philly. They put us on a plane to Newark and said they would have cars waiting to deliver us home. We were all skeptical about finding an agent let alone a car after customs in Newark, but lo and behold they delivered. My only problem was the cab driver barely spoke English, asked ME how to get to Philly from Newark, and his gas guage dropped towards empty as we honed in on the Philly area! All said and done we wandered into our front door at 2am instead of say 11pm. I've seen worse.

Other oddities were that they made my brother and sister in-law exit the plane in Jamaica to get new boarding passes even though the plane was continuing on to Atlanta, which was their final destination. Also, the only beverages served between Bonaire and Jamaica were beer, wine, and champagne. This elicited some entertaining discussions between my wife (who needed a diet coke fix) and the stewardess!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration