BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Need help from Aruba to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Need help from Aruba to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 6:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My son and I are going to Aruba on July 8th. We will be staying there for three nights then going to Bonaire for some diving. What airlines serves Aruba to Bonaire besides DCA and do they have a web site or number or can we just wait till we're in Aruba? Is it worth staying in Curacao one night?...or should we just go stait to Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #257) on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mark,

Avia Air flies from Aruba to Bonaire one flight per day direct. The flight leaves at about 7:00 pm. contact info is below:
tel. (297) 5824600, reservations: (297) 5883939
fax. (297) 5887757
email: avia.aa@setarnet.aw, reservations: avia@setarnet.aw
You should be able to wait until you get to aruba to make the reservations. They do not have an 800 number from the states. Also, it often takes them several days to get back to you. I suggest you continue to watch postings on the status of BoniareExel which will make more regular trips once the new airline starts up

IMHO....skip Cur completely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4338) on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have heard that Avia is in a state of flux - they apparently had their planes seized by creditors not too long ago, but the original owner of Avia has vowed to be running again ASAP (like this week). Definitely call them first (dial 011 before the numbers Gregg gave you).

Once BonairExel is flying (could be quite soon), you'll have several daily Aruba/Bonaire connections available.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So do you think I should book flights on DCA instaed...to be safe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #258) on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to hear about Avia problems....its unfortunate that we can fly 1000 mi plus to get to aruba but can't get to Bonaire...hurry up BE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So does anyone have any further updates on flights to Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 11:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, your the only person that said to skip Curacao. Any particular reason?
By the way, how the diving in Aruba? He and I typically don't like a real "commercial" type setting for our dive vacations but we're staying free in Aruba for a few days so I thought we'd at least try it and see what it has to offer. We typically like the more "primitive" type of locations believe it or not, like an Anthony's key resort (roatan)and Belize, one of our favorites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #263) on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mark,

I don't think I'm the only person who doesn't care for Cur but I willing to share my thoughts. In general, I prefer the more laid back places also ala Bonaire, CocoView, Bayman Bay, Cayman Brac. Cur is substantially more crowded with traffic jams, stop lights, lots of people. There are reports of much higher crime rates although I did not experience any crime when I was there. However, when you walk around, you just don't feel as safe as when in Bonaire...just a feeling.

I've dove on the west side of the island and thought the sites were mediocre at best (especially compared to sites on Bonaire).

Philosophically, I also resent the brow beating that Cur tends to give Bonaire since Cur controls most of the government. ie...problems with RAA and now BonairExel...

I prefer Aruba over Cur. Aruba is more commercial "americanized" but the people are very friendly. There are many nice resorts with excellent restaurants (including some of the major chains from the US). Its a lot easier to get to Aruba than to Bonaire. Diving was also so so when compared to Bonaire...

Just my thoughts...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 7:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gregg, thanks for the opinion, that's what I was looking for. We're in the same boat as you, we like the more laid back places too. Based on that, we'll skip Cur except if we have to take DCA to get to Bonaire. I'm still hoping that Avia is running when we get there since I've not made reservations to fly from Aruba to Bonaire yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Flood (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 2:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I had planned on using AVIA to fly from Aruba to Bonaire and once we read that they were in 'a state of flux', we contacted them via email and AVIA did confirm that they are not flying to Bonaire at this time. We land in Aruba on 6/27 approx. 3 pm (US Airways). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we get to Bonaire? We've looked at DCA schedules and it looks like we might have to spend the night in Curacao. We really don't want to spend a night in Curacao because we have a room booked for that night in Bonaire. Is there any new information regarding Bonaire Excel? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As you see, time is of the essence!
Thx,
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 7:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm in the same predicament. I have checked DCA and they have quite a few flights from Aruba to Cur and on to Bonaire. Checkout their site at www.flydca.net for schedules. Based upon what I'm looking at, there's no way you should have to spend an unwanted night in Cruacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #266) on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 8:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill and Mark,

I just talked to DCA this week about the same question (arriving on USAir). According to the rep I spoke with, you will fly from Aruba to Cur at about 8:00 pm (yuck) arriving in Cur 8:25, departing Cur for Bon 9:00 arr 9:30...cost $166.50...all assuming that DCA leaves Aruba and Cur on time....

I did Avia last year...worked fine...wish them luck getting back in the air. Everybody keep their fingers crossed for BonairExel.

Each month tends to come and go as we hear "within the next two weeks"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Flood (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are we better off to make reservations now, or should we wait until we arrive in Aruba?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #267) on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 7:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think you should make reservations but not buy the ticket...keep holding out for BE but at least you have a way to get there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Flood (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Made reservations yesterday and we did not buy the tickets. I guess we pay when we check in. Any new news on BE. We'd love to fly with them instead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley (BonaireTalker - Post #87) on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 4:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is a rumour that BE starts flying the 27th... I hope so !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Round trip, Aruba to Bonaire was $166.50/pp. I made reservations for our trip but am hoping someone else becomes available. How much did it cost to do this on Avia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 4:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I thought I'd let anyone know that was interested that American Eagle is supposed to start service between Aruba and Bonaire in a couple of weeks. I think this is absolutely fantastic considering that DCA is probably the worst airline I've ever dealt with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gregg brewer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #290) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mark,

What is the basis for your info on AA from AUA to BON? I'd love to see it...working on air to bonaire for a September trip. That option could change the picture. tks for the tip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Zolton (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I heard it at the airport being talked about while DCA was canceling four flights in a row and wasting a whole day for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #386) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 7:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, if American Eagle re-starts their flights between Aruba & Bonaire, I hope they last longer than the few weeks they did a couple years ago!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration