BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Luggage?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Luggage?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Mitchell (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 5:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi All we are flying KLM to Bonaire and bringing our dive kit, Underwater camera and laptop
Does KLM give you extra allowance for sporting equipment and how much?
Also do you have to put your laptop in your carry on hand luggage with your other delicates or can you carry your laptop separate

Any information will be much appreciated

Keith & Marie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 7:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Usually KLM is very strict about luggage weight, and very expensive if you are over your allotment. To be safe, you better check directly with KLM. I remember once I was over by a few kilos, and the extra charge was about $20/kg. At that time, they were also weighing hand luggage (carry-ons). And if you are connecting flights w/in Europe, your originating flight may have different luggage guidelines, (even if it's KLM), so check those too.

At least you don't need much clothing here...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #170) on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 8:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Keith, I am about to ring KLM up about this. I think that if you request it they will give you an extra 7KGS allowance but i will get back to you soon and let you know.
Julia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Birgit (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #25) on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 11:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In the past KLM allowed 10kg extra for dive equipment without charge. But you (or your travel agent) have to ask for it when booking the ticket. Normally no problem at all.
Birgit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #171) on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Having been on the phone today, here is the procedure.
Telephone 08705 074074 (UK)
This is reservations.
They will put in a request for extra lugaage allowance on your flight and then you ring back 24hrs. later to check if the request has been granted. The lady was not sure how much would be allowed but she thought 7kg. I will know tomorrow and get back to you all.
Julia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Wills (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 12:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Keith, in answer to your laptop question: I carry my laptop in its case along with my glasses, reading material, and paperwork (tickets, passport, cert cards, etc.). I usually remove the laptop for examination at the gates and make sure that I do not loose sight of the case. Some eager folks will gladly push ahead, placing their belongings on the conveyor belt in between your case and your computer.
I also have a roll-on carry on piece of luggage with my diving essentials (mask, bc, & reg) and basic stuff (bathing suit, change of clothes, barest toiletries). My roll-on carry on is sometimes 'gate-checked' if I am flying American Eagle as their overhead bins can barely hold a pillow.
Maybe we should have a separate thread on packing essentials or has that been done before?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Mitchell (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 7:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks All you have all been very helpful

Keith&Marie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #172) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 7:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, this has been quite a saga. If you want extra luggage allowance with KLM you need to know the dimensions and weight of your dive equipment. You also need to let them know if you are packing the equipment in your normal luggage or carrying it as another luggage item. They ask you to ring back the next day to confirm. You can do this directly or through your travel agent. I got the allowance with no difficulties eventually but having all the above info will save you time. It is VERY ADVISABLE to do this according to the KLM info desk. Their costs for extra weight are very expensive. Anyone needing more details is welcome to e-mail me directly.
Cheers
Julia

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration