BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Chicago (O'Hare or Midway) to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: Chicago (O'Hare or Midway) to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #123) on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 10:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone know anything about airfares from Chicago?
Looking for low fares but don't know what would justify a low fare to begin with...Since this is my first trip to Bonaire FINALLY![early spring 2004] any info would help. Also thinking about by-passing the larger resorts and using a small hotel or mom/pop place that is comfortable and has a pool to lounge by. Another question I have is when I travel by rental truck to dive on a boatdive how far do I usually have to carry my divegear from the parking lot (Capt Dons). And one more question, just in case my wife comes along, can I expect to use the resort's beach if I willingly pay a "beach fee". Jean needs her sand and sun...

One would think from spending so much of my time on Bonairetalk I would know the answers to these questions by now...

thanks for any help,
jimini

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 12:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Jim,

My advice is Air Jamaica out of O'Hare. IT leaves early (6:15am), but you arrive on Bonaire mid-afternoon-ish.... an hour or so lay-over at Montego Bay.

Also, since AirJam departs Bonaire around 4:00pm, you can "legally" dive until 4:00pm the previous day. Assuming a week long trip, you actually get six full days of diving in!!!

One suggestion: don't mention Air Jam to Mick or Barb. They flew AirJam last December and had horrific problems. We have taken them on four trips and have never had a problem. A few short delays, but never a lost peice of luggage or cancelled flight.

You're gonna like it Jim. We're planning to go this October. When are you going in the Spring? We like to make two trips a year, so maybe we could muscle in with you guys......

-dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #124) on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dave~

What prices have you paid for your RT airfares? Planning sometime in late March or April, probably be traveling solo. Wife doesn't go unless their are large shopping malls in town. :>)

Planning on diving with Capt Dons at least two times and diving the Windjammer on trimix with WaltIII. At least that's the plans but they may change if we decide to move to Mountain Home area, Ark. We have a bunch of friends that retired down there some ten years ago and they want us to move down there too.

We're tired of the high real estate taxes here in Illinois! High cost of living and utilities! The lack of mountains or hills; lakes; and clean rivers; and the lack of snow all winter long! The snow doesn't bother me because we trailer the sleds to Northern Wisconsin at least three times a winter.

Joey has one more year before he gets out of grade school-thinking of moving before he starts high school...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6926) on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 10:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, there aren't ANY shopping "malls" on bonaire...heck, they don't even have any stop lights! LOL! as far as carrying your gear to the boat...most operations have their own boats, so you carry your gear from the locker to the end of the dock...and wala! the only place that really has a beach is the plaza...but it certainly isn't a mom and pop place:-) i hope it works out that you can take a trip in the spring of 2004:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #377) on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 7:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim,
Jean & I have made 6 (and just got tickets for #7) trips between ORD & BON; some on frequent flyer miles, but in general, most flights have been costing us in the mid-six hundreds per person, round trip. I'm sure you may be able to find cheaper if your 'open' on dates and flight times, but I've also seen a lot of flights listed at about twice that much.
We'll be arriving BON 21 Feb and departing 12 March 2004.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Goodwin (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 10:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim,

I've paid anywhere from $350 to $650 a flight. It just depends on waht deals AirJam is running at the time I want (can) go....

I would try BonairePros if I were you. That's who we will be arranging through.

Know what you mean about Arkansas..... I went to college in Jonesboro Ark. My dad's entire family is from Arkansas, and I lived there for a few years myself. I have several friends from the Mountain Home area. Great part of the state, and a very nice area. We have even dove Bull Shoals lake a few times. Not a bad time.

My dad currently has retired to Batesville Arkansas. We make about four trips a year down to see him..... he bought a 4-bedroom, 3-bath newer ranch house on 5 acres in the country. The land is so heavily wooded that grass won't grow. Paid $65,000 for the whole thing. His property taxes are $250 a year. You read that right - less than $300 a year!!

Jim, if you can modify your plans, you would be welcome to go with us to Bonaire in late October of this year. We have a pretty fun group going, and we are always looking for extras to help carry our dive bags :-)

-dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Flook (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #154) on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim:

From ORD I consider under:
$600.00 a decent deal
$500.00 a great deal
$400.00 impossible.
I use internet searchs like Travelocity.
Last two trips for two adults and one 6 year old ranged from an average price of $416.00 each to $450.00 each. Best deals I have ever had though. Prior had paid from $550.00 to about 1M.

All flights were also from GRR to ORD then to BON. So my costs may be a little higher than leaving direct from ORD. Typically it has been AA also.

Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #130) on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the information! This really helps in trying to find a budget to get me there and maybe the wife too.

Dave, it doesn't look like I'll be able to meet you in Bonaire in October. Just received an email from Utila and they will be teaching trimix courses in the last two weeks of September so I'm postponing my trip to Utila by two weeks... Still looking like early next spring before I can get away to Bonaire.

thanks for the offer
jimini

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration