BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: MAYDAY MAYDAY!!
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-01-31: MAYDAY MAYDAY!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6889) on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now I have been waiting for Murphy to stick his foot into my pie, and sure enough he has dang it! AA just called and they have cancelled my redeye flight to San Juan! ARG! My only other option with them is to go a day earlier, arrive in San Juan at around 6PM, and then fly to Bon the next afternoon at 5:30. Problem is I am traveling alone, and would love to hear recommendations on places to stay in San Juan where I would feel comfortable and SAFE! Anyone?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4351) on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 8:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde,

Can they reroute you into a redeye to Miami and then fly you from Miami to San Juan? I've also done a red eye from Vegas to Chicago, and then from there to San Juan and Bonaire. So LAX to ORD could work...

Otherwise there are lots of name brand hotels in San Juan to choose from if you want to be in the touristy area. No idea about hotels in Old San Juan.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6891) on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 9:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, they have cancelled all their red eyes out of LAX (or at least that is what AA said)...go figure! I am going to search now for other options, but if I want to stick with AA, I have a feeling I am going to have to spend the night in SJ. I really don't mind doing that if I have to, as long as I know that I am in a "safe" area since I will be alone.

I guess one of the good things is that you have done such a great job with BT, that all it takes is a good search and I am sure I will come up with some options in SJ if I end up spending the night!

Thanks for the recommendations Jake:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6894) on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 10:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After an hour and half on the phone with AA, they have put me on a later redeye and i don't have to stay all night in SJ. They had cancelled my other flight and apparently the AA agent I spoke to earlier was either tired, or didn't give a hoot. I won't feel better until I actually have my new tickets in my hot little hand though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Thursday, June 5, 2003 - 11:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What are your trip dates Cyn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6896) on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 10:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

wally, as it stands now after a very long night on the phone with AA, I leave LAX 7/3/03 at 1:00am, go through dallas and get to SJ at 1:00PM. then the 5:30 flight to Bon. I return on the 13th, but that leg had no cancellations:-) of course i took lots of notes and got the gal's name i spoke to the SECOND time so when i go to the airport to get my new tickets (for some reason she couldn't issue them, that is what concerns me) there won't be anymore problems!

are your kids on the island now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #182) on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 11:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, glad to know that your persistence paid off even though the trip will be a long one with so many plane changes. I am particularly interested in your flights because we are trying to get our daughter from LAX to Bonaire during the Christmas break. We keep promising her that the long trip will be well worth it!

Ready to try the new mask tomorrow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6900) on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

susan, the easiest way from la, is really to go with air jaimaca. it is about a 12 hour trip. it goes from LAX to Montego Bay, then from Montego to Bonaire. I didn't use them this time because of my travel dates. AJ only has certain days they make the trip and they didn't coinside with my dates. tell her it is well worth it. just sleep on the plane. michael HATES the redeye thing, so next time we go together we will be doing the overnight in SJ.

definetly ready to try the new mask. i am really excited (doesn't take much!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #184) on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 1:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Cynde. We are certainly considering Air Jamaica for her trip. As a matter of fact we are doing Air Jamaica in Dec for the first time. We usually use AA out of Hartford but Air Jam from Boston was cheaper this time around. And the times are certainly better. Back to AA in Feb though as we are using miles. When you do need to spend the night in SJ there is a Hampton Inn close to the airport. Don't know the rates though. There are also some bigger hotels on the beach in Isla Verde, also near the airport but those rates are probably quite high. A friend of ours recently went for the cheapest hotel they could find for an overnight in SJ and did not sleep at all -- unsafe area, unclean rooms. So be careful where you pick!

Let us know how the new mask works! Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6904) on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 2:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks susan...the experience of your friends is why i really didn't want to have an overnight in SJ this trip unless it was absolutely unavoidable...funny, years ago i would not have thought twice...i really hate how age makes one "wise" sometimes! You just loose (or wise up) on that "carefree abandon"...sigh...

(Message edited by cyndelee on June 6, 2003)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Friday, June 6, 2003 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just spend 4 great days in San Juan, staying in El Convento in the middle of Old San Juan - wonderful old building and very nicely done as hotel 3rd, 4th and 5th floor. The 1st and 2nd floor are shops and restaurants.
http://www.elconvento.com/default.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1128) on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 7:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We should gather a list of places. I heard about a Boutique Hotel (I prefer these and some have super rates). Not sure but it might be Miramar??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Sunday, June 8, 2003 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

While staying at an major airport motel just outside of O'Hare airport the back parking lot was like a revolving door. "Low-lifes" were selling drugs like a drive-thru fast food joint! NEVER stayed there again...Drug dealers don't carry guns do they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ana C (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #110) on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've stayed at the Wyndham in Old San Juan, its across from the cruise ships. Nice hotel and reasonably priced. NOT on the beach, though you can use the beach & pool at the Wyndham in Isla Verde.

The only 'boutique' hotel I know of in Miramar is the Hotel Miramar. (http://www.miramarhotelpr.com) I don't think its an area I'd care to be at alone at night (but I left Miramar yrs ago, things may have changed). Don't believe their website saying they're two blocks from Condado beach (its 2 blocks from the lagoon).

Maybe we should create a separate topic called - 'Stranded in PR, where to stay'?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration